rory

Housing Horror

Well, i took a chance on a housing and ended up on my butt!

Basically i ordered a APW housing, ive used them in the past, but not this model. Generally they are good.

This is the model I have:

http://www.apw.com/productsServices/productShowcase/ccsh-10al.jsp

Pros -

1-Its small

2-Its Vandal Resistant

3-Its inexpensive

Cons -

1-Its TOO small that a Sanyo Box camera is too WIDE for the housing, with the Auto iris lead connected. The camera itself may be a little bigger than the GE camera, but its not THAT big. Basically the Sanyo fits into it, but the housing bolt for the camera does not line up with the camera. Its just too narrow.

2-The camera leads have to come through the Mid way of the bottom base of the housing, which basically goes directly underneath the center of the camera about mid way. This means maga bending on the RG59 ... then bending again at the back of the camera for the connection.

3-Its not really an outdoor housing. They claim its an indoor/outdoor housing, but it has no rubber seals anywhere, has 2 vents in the rear, and basically just doesnt look nor feel weather resistant AT ALL.

Basically, I would say it is a decent housing for a warehouse, indoors, and perhaps underneath a covered outdoor porch, and using a mini box camera with a manual iris lens, but thats as far as id go. Thankfully thunder storm season is over (though another is on the way as I speak!) and hopefully wont get any heavy storms until I can change them for a GE WeatherProof Housing in the next week or so ..

Ill post some images of the housing later tonight ..

Rory

Thanks for the warning Rory.

Which outdoor housings do you like and recommend?

I have seen outdoor housings with heaters and blowers for $50. Are they crap? How much do you need to spend for a decent one?

I havent used the heater versions, but the good ones arent cheap.

Im going for the GE housing as Ive used that in the past, and i "know" it will work, have a few in the field for going on 5 years now, no dust or rain inside, and been through a couple hurricanes ..plus it is ABS plastic so easier to paint black. Its more expensive than this one,"retail" pricing would be around $160 or so

Id liek to say again, i have used the APW housings in the past, just not this model, I actually used the Car park type model .. was totally different, and much larger, worked out great inside a warehouse upside down 75' up

Rory