spadjen

Computer upgrade. i7 pr SSD

putting together the following:

Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

2TB WD Black sata III

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

The questions is to upgrade to i7-3770 Ivy Bridge for $70 more. Or get a SSD drive in addition to WD Black

Running Blue Iris and or vitamin D

8-10 cams. 2+ MP each @ 10fps

i have herd that running that many cams on a fast i7 was never a problem but possible bottle neck on a sata drive due to video rendering or analyzing on the system drive then transfers to the storage drive. SSD should take care of that.

then i have herd 50/50 no performance increase going i7 due to Hyper-threading not being utilized to its potential or not at all. sounds simple enough?

so trying to figuer out what problem i will hav ebefore i have it to see what i should do before i do it.

While I am a big fan of SSD for the OS I really dont see a great difference with them outside of boot time with them. For a system like this I would think that it would be up 24/7, so not much benefit there. Also is 16gb and Windows ultimate really needed?

IDK...lol. Ultimate was only $10 more. i scaled the 16 gigs back from 32

I figure if i want to upgrade to 32 and set up a virtual drive to put a cash file or something. so wile i might be able to get away with 8 i wanted dual Chanel so i went 16. dont want a 4gig chip.

But yes. the system will be up 24/7 and thought it would have not benefit with the boot up. but do you think putting the os and the NVR program on it would speed things up and have the hdd dedicated to writes on the video feed?

yeah you may be rite. dont really know if putting the os and nvr software on a ssd would help. i could always get 2 WD Black drives. 1 dedicated to just read and write for camera streams. or may be possible to have the cams split on 2 different drives splitting the load keeping the drives cooler too? now my head is spinning

Yea, you might be trying too hard. When it comes to building PCs you can always go overkill if you can afford it but I dont think that the OS and VMS on its own drive would offer you that much. If it comes at the expense of a more powerful CPU I would opt for the CPU.

...the system will be up 24/7...

Not without a decent UPS! Opps! There's another $300!

Unless you decide to utilize Q's VMS server power strategy: Image the hard drive and set BIOS switch titled "Remember power state" to ON

I guess only a geek would think that's funny.

I'm still chuckling.

When I installed my SSD, not only did a recognize a huge difference in boot time, but I noticed a big difference when opening programs as well. However, when the program is running, I didn't notice anything faster about the program itself.

I think you made the right choice by upgrading to i7 instead, but doing both doesn't hurt!

I would say just get several SATA drives, and put them in a RAID 5 config, split the read write from the cameras across serveral drives, improved performance with the ability to lose 1 hard drive and recover.

The thing to remember is SSD's have a time based shelf life, after they run for an amount of time they begin to fail, its something like several years though.

I would say make sure you have gigabit network card(s).

You never mention what video card you are planning to use, I have found that even on custom built i7 machines, a video card with 3 or 4 GB of RAM makes a TON of difference. I should mention though, that I am only doing this kind of stuff on systems with 3MP and higher cameras, so you be the judge.

You never mention what video card you are planning to use, I have found that even on custom built i7 machines, a video card with 3 or 4 GB of RAM makes a TON of difference. I should mention though, that I am only doing this kind of stuff on systems with 3MP and higher cameras, so you be the judge.

I believe video cards could make a difference, but only depending on which camera you are planning to install. As for your case, 3MP and higher cameras probably do need a little more graphical power, but the standard ones should work fine with integrated graphic chips.

While I am a big fan of SSD for the OS I really dont see a great difference with them outside of boot time with them. For a system like this I would think that it would be up 24/7, so not much benefit there.

I just built a similar system: i7 3770, 16GB RAM, 2 TB Barracuda as the boot/root drive, 2-3TB WD Reds in RAID1 for the DVR data, running Fedora 18 64-bit and ZoneMinder. I passed on the SSD for precisely the reason you state - for a system that's on 24/7 it's a waste of money to optimize boot-up time. As for the 16GB of RAM, Linux has no problem making good use of it. Anytime you can avoid swapping to disk it's a win.

I think you made the right choice by upgrading to i7 instead

Agreed - the extra 4 (HT) cores will make a noticeable difference.

been awhile since i checked this thrad. so here is what i have gone with.

Intel i7-3770 Ivy Bridge

CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

3TB seagate barracuda sata III (programs and data)

3TB seagate barracuda sata III (IP camera's)

AZZA Solano 1000R CSAZ-1000R Full Tower

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

so i have 6 cams running at 3mp 15fps on blue iris with direct to disk. using 26% cpu power max. ram never gone over 4gig so far with other things running too. i found some improvement using a dedicated hard drive for ip cameras. also constant write to disk will result in a failed drive sooner. would be nice if that drive did not have anything else on it.

took about a week before i was able to use the gigabyte up link on my router. before that i did notice that using 10/100 killed my network speed on the pc. i was hitting 80-90% just running and viewing cams.

the case i recommend. has room for 8 drives which keeps up with the board options and allows to use the extra processing power to run a media server (still working on that). also has 5 fans. each hard drive bay has its own fans. everything stays cool.

so far happy with the i7. I would go with at least 8gigs of memory and that would be over kill. deff 7200 rpm drives and splitting the load on them.

You could slap a RAID controller in there and make your cameras record to a small RAID array as your budget allows.

I have to ask... what model number are those hard drives? I am asking because consumer grade 3TB drives are not very good at handling to load placed on them by IP cameras. The platter density simply does not stand up to the constant writing.

the board i have supports raid so i am all set there. just have not gotten that far and undecided on what raid i want to use.

the HD is a ST3000DM001. i did wonder about plate density but could not find any info. but i could not pass up the price i got so what the..... i think future drives may be WD Black. hitachi would be nice but $$$.

I tend to stick with 2TB drives in places where I want reliability, but I am hoping you have good luck with it... seriously. 3TB drives would be awesome to use going forward, but if you look at the prices for enterprise grade 3TB drives, I think we are not quite there yet in terms of reliability.

I would not go with a raid card, I would split up the camera's to save to various drives...

would save raid for an external NAS where the raid card it has comes with plenty of cache and loads of performance.

don't really see the point of SSD for CCTV, it's not at the right price points yet & price per GB is the MOST important thing as long as the drive is fast enough

Install the OS on a SSD and record the cameras to the spinning drives.

it is possible to get 60gb SSD's for Sub $100....

Brands of SSD's I've had good luck with so far are Intel & Kingston, ones I've had BAD experiences with are OCZ/Corsair

as the price for SSD gets down low enough, it may become preferential to have as much SSD as you can, I notice that the difference between intel's latest SSD is not the speed it runs at but actually the power it uses to run...

the 520 series uses something like 3-4x the power under every scenario over the 530 series!

be nice if your NAS drives idled at 1/4w as opposed to the 4-8w each drive sucks at the moment

You will wear out an SSD doing constant video recording to it, with all its wear leveling logic and everything it will constantly attempt to move data to unused chips and will be prone to failure, SSD's have a shelf life on the number of write cycles they can handle.

You will wear out an SSD doing constant video recording to it, with all its wear leveling logic and everything it will constantly attempt to move data to unused chips and will be prone to failure, SSD's have a shelf life on the number of write cycles they can handle.

that's true, but normal disks also have a write limit, just they tend not to be able to write to it fast enough to hit it in any reasonable amount of time

keep in mind plenty of the top SSD's are now quoting wear limits in the Petabytes of data, give it enough years and that will all trickle down