washmaster

mobile/ PDA remote viewing confusion

Help! I thought I knew what I was looking for, but reading some other posts makes me more confused than ever. Here's what I want: DVR (no PCs) 4 ch., triplex, and viewable on my home computer via the internet and on this forthcoming phone: http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/motorola/q.html

I'm getting confused by GPRS, 3G, ActiveX etc., pocket IE, MIDP2.0 protocol etc.

I don't know which DVR to choose. Only some mention PDA type viewing. Many seem to have specific remote viewing software that I suspect can't be loaded onto my phone. I'm not a techie, just a small business owner trying to keep track of my locations, so please use the KISS priciple in your replies.

-ah

I think mobile viewing is too far on the cutting edge to be practical at this point. GPRS offers 119k bandwidth, which would be painfully slow for transmitting video.

3G wireless networks offers 2mbps downstream and 4G networks will offer 100mbps download.

I just don’t know how available 3G wireless access is, what it costs or if it is as fast as quoted. And when will 4G be available widely throughout the U.S.?

In Japan they are working on pushing the 4G wireless to 1gbps.

Basically you need to first choose between a phone that has a recogniseable operating system like windows mobile or a phone that simply supports a browser interface.

The phones with a operating system will usually allow you to connect through a browser and some DVR programs will be written to operate on the PDA type format.

If you were to forget a phone all together and go back to basics, you can simply connect to most DVR's by either a web page (usually active x controls) or from software loaded on.

The same is for phones, BUT!!!! not every phone will allow you to load codecs and active X controls, therefore browser phone based viewing is unlikely for any type of MPEG4 straming, however it may work with JPEG, the problem is that on a small screen you will need to navigate to the part of the browser sotware (and yes i know some do this automatically in both browser and on pda's) that has the window you want to see, therefore it is clumsy at best.

However software will fit the images properly and the application is designed to run on the device, therefore codecs etc are loaded, but most cheaper non operating systme phones will not allow software to be loaded.

Try http://www.marchnetworks.com as I believe they havea pda application

LAN isn't going to cut it. Must be truly mobile. It seems like I ought to have the phone in my hands first, and try in on a couple of different DVRs, which sucks, 'cause my old system is dead, I'm without any kind of remote surveilance and the new phone doesn't come out 'til Q1 2006.

Its hard to believe I'm the only person trying to view my locations via a smartphone. I guess I have to have it in my hands first and then try viewing several Mfgs. demo sites unless someone can gurantee me compatablility.

-ah

Ive used Pocket PC to remote video before, totally wireless.

As for the phones, they dont work here.

Try http://www.servision.net/

They manufacture some great mobile DVR's. Operate mostly with SIF and QSIF compressions. Adjustable bit rates to support the full range of network bandwidths (9 KBits/sec to 1 MBits/sec, 5-30 fps live)

Supports GPRS, CDMA.

Check them out very stable machines.

Washmaster,

That phone (motorola Q) is going to be awesome. You can pick one up right now for just $4150.00

at: www.no-air-time.com click on pre-released phones

Yea I would probably wait until the official release of the phone.

march also has an agreement with sprint for treo's access to march video in the retail space...not sure if it is Edge or 1xRt or other...