buellwinkle

3MP Hikvision vs. 1080P Swann/Lorex

My distributor is working on it. Hikvision has offices in the U.S., but they are new to selling their brand but it's coming.

Great! Can't wait to get prices on their gear.I would really like to pair their cams and 8 channel nvr together. Guess i'll hold off on ordering the Dahua 2mp dome from Empire to try out the DS-2CD2112-I or the DS-2CD2132-I .

Can you take pics of the dome? the back the front top etc...

here is the lorex version

http://www.lorextechnology.com/security-cameras/Dome-security-camera-for-HD-DVR/1800.p

hik

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7330

you can see on the lorex there is a hik custom part number....interesting

also can you do some night and low light shots, mixed light...I want to see how the WDR plays and night plays. It seems most people dont like IR domes. This is really going to be the deciding factor for me if I return the swann system, and run BI, exacq, or milestone with these lorex cams if it turn out to be flashed at 3MP and be kick ass then awesome. If I sent you one would you test it or do you have access to one?

Or if I end up going with the acti domes and running their software. Im really curious on the acti domes if I really need that mounting collar to flush mount them. I WILL NOT cut holes that big in my stucco

That's the camera. It's the smallest IR vandal dome I've seen, so I'll get a picture against another dome so you can see. I just got it today and with the holiday weekend, nothing will get done until I get back on Tuesday.

Also have to find what I did with my spare microSD card so I can test that because that just be it's best feature looking a the new playback screen.

That Lorex dome camera has much higher operating temperatures, they don't go down anywhere near as far to negative temperatures.

What is an advantage for using the dome camera, just aesthetics?

That Lorex dome camera has much higher operating temperatures, they don't go down anywhere near as far to negative temperatures.

What is an advantage for using the dome camera, just aesthetics?

Yes aesthetics and the fact that it's harder to judge the FOV.

But most important, vandal-resistant. Hit a bullet camera with a crowbar and see what happens to it in comparison to the same on a dome.

The notion that this is really a 2MP (1080P) camera that has been extrapolated to 3MP is ridiculous. The effective resolution in 3MP is significantly higher than in 2MP mode. Also, for what it's worth, contrary this camera is full 30 FPS in both 3MP and 1080P mode.

@buellwinkle

Can you confirm that the DS-2CD2032-I set to a resolution of 2048*1536 runs at the full frame rate of 30fps?. Mine is limited to 15fps at that resolution. I got my unit from Aliexpress & it is running firmware version V5.0.0 130412

The notion that this is really a 2MP (1080P) camera that has been extrapolated to 3MP is ridiculous. The effective resolution in 3MP is significantly higher than in 2MP mode. Also, for what it's worth, contrary this camera is full 30 FPS in both 3MP and 1080P mode.

@buellwinkle

Can you confirm that the DS-2CD2032-I set to a resolution of 2048*1536 runs at the full frame rate of 30fps?. Mine is limited to 15fps at that resolution. I got my unit from Aliexpress & it is running firmware version V5.0.0 130412

Your results match the spec of the DS-2CD2132-I

Can you take pics of the dome? the back the front top etc...

here is the lorex version

http://www.lorextechnology.com/security-cameras/Dome-security-camera-for-HD-DVR/1800.p

hik

you can see on the lorex there is a hik custom part number....interesting

also can you do some night and low light shots, mixed light...I want to see how the WDR plays and night plays. It seems most people dont like IR domes. This is really going to be the deciding factor for me if I return the swann system, and run BI, exacq, or milestone with these lorex cams if it turn out to be flashed at 3MP and be kick ass then awesome. If I sent you one would you test it or do you have access to one?

Or if I end up going with the acti domes and running their software. Im really curious on the acti domes if I really need that mounting collar to flush mount them. I WILL NOT cut holes that big in my stucco

If that dome doesn't have IR reflection I'll be amazed. They actually designed it to be closed INTO the lens space! The only thing I can figure is they are trying to block off the IR from reflecting off more dome than necessary. But the lens better have true isolation or it's not gonna work.

That aspect works, there is isolation between the IR LEDs and lens, not perfect by any means, but certainly better than Dahua. It's a weird setup where it's a loose hood that floats, so with the camera facing down, gravity brings it towards the lens. I thought it had an SD card but I was wrong. It supports NAS but for the life of me can't figure out how to make it work, so I pinged their guys to see if they can help. That would be cool if it can write directly to NAS and then provide recording timeline to view events.

The biggest gripe and the reason I have not mounted the camera yet is that this is a 2-axis dome, so a no go on my normal slanted roof eave, so I have to fabricate a mount to make the camera level. For those that don't understand, this camera should only mounted on a horizontal surface, not wall mounted, not mounted on an angle. If you need 3-axis, get the bullet.

For those that worried that the LEDs are partially blocked, not a problem, there are no LEDs on the extreme top, so none are blocked regardless of where you position the lens.

As for 30fps, it shows the setting at 30fps at 3MP, but have no idea if it really is or isn't. I'll connect it to BI during my testing as it displays the actual fps rate.

The biggest gripe and the reason I have not mounted the camera yet is that this is a 2-axis dome, so a no go on my normal slanted roof eave, so I have to fabricate a mount to make the camera level. For those that don't understand, this camera should only mounted on a horizontal surface, not wall mounted, not mounted on an angle. If you need 3-axis, get the bullet.

Well I guess the lorex cams will be going back!...That is absolutely 100% useless! My bullets are mounted under my eves, I thought about mounting these domes to the wall. Lorex, shows that it can be mounted to the wall in their product guide. I could mount them under the eves like the bullets. But they would be at a slant....and unless theres a way to adjust them then that's no good.

With that being said...when do you think youll look at the acti e74. I don't want to have to use that massive collar for flush mounting (pmax-1003) I guess I could also use the L-type mount

I have older 2-axis domes inside my house, and yes, you can wall mount as long as you have the lens pointed straight out and use the tilt to move it up/down. If you rotate the camera to point to to the side, then the image will tilt. They should really be clear about this as I didn't see that in the specs for either camera.

Now in theory, there's two screws with posts that hold the lens assembly. It may be possible to unscrew that, and rotate the lens a little in either direction and drill new holes and do it that way.

To wall mount 2-axis domes, you need to buy a wall mount and not sure Lorex or Hikvision make a wall mount specific for this camera. This would be like an L shaped bracket mounted to the wall and the camera hangs down from that. There are generic wall mounts, just go on ebay and search for dome wall mount.

So, I posted about bugs in the 5.0.0 firmware that caused the 3MP setting to not work right, but turns out I didn't have the latest webcomponents.exe loaded. I'm not sure why it didn't prompt me to install the latest version after flashing, but when I re-connected the camera after a few days offline, it did.

Now, the 3MP works fine (so far), and there are new features that weren't showing up before, like Intelligent IR, more white balance selections, more network option tabs, and so on.

I can't tell what the intelligent IR does, though. When enabled, there's no obvious difference, and with another camera watching the IR footprint, I can see no changes in IR when I get right in front of the camera.

It sounds like the cameras are shipping with 5.0.0 now, and that's a good sign.

It only allows you to set 15 fps at 3MP, like the spec says.

So, I posted about bugs in the 5.0.0 firmware that caused the 3MP setting to not work right, but turns out I didn't have the latest webcomponents.exe loaded. I'm not sure why it didn't prompt me to install the latest version after flashing, but when I re-connected the camera after a few days offline, it did.

Now, the 3MP works fine (so far), and there are new features that weren't showing up before, like Intelligent IR, more white balance selections, more network option tabs, and so on.

I can't tell what the intelligent IR does, though. When enabled, there's no obvious difference, and with another camera watching the IR footprint, I can see no changes in IR when I get right in front of the camera.

It sounds like the cameras are shipping with 5.0.0 now, and that's a good sign.

It only allows you to set 15 fps at 3MP, like the spec says.

do you know what happened to White Balance in this version? used to have auto and 1 other setting. now all it has is manual.

Well, that's one of the funny things. The first time I checked it, that's what I had - auto and manual, and manual enabled 2 color sliders (the 3rd color can't be changed).

After re-installed webcomponents.exe, I now have a big selection of presets under white balance.

Before, I don't think I rebooted both the PC and the camera at the same time. When I connected the other night, both had been off for a few days, and it asked me to re-install webcomponents.exe.

Try that; if it doesn't work, I'll post the new webcomponents and you can see if that helps.

I will try that tonight. got the file directly from hik ftp. wonder if i have the correct version/ release. i dont see much difference at all in settings. no white balance at all. no intelligent ir. can you grab a screen shot?

i did notice the 15 fps limitation. also...something weird. blue iris would have difficulty at anything above a 4096 bitrate. would freeze up, disconnect from the cam, and have data corruption. now i can go upto 16384 no problem.

This came from the US FTP site on 5/10. I just downloaded it again and compared it to the original, and there are no binary differences between the files, so it had something to do with the reboots. Another option would be to delete the existing web components folder, which is under Program Files on mine, then connect. It should install the latest version.

Here's the version reported by the camera:

Firmware Version - V5.0.0 130412

Encoding Version - V4.0 build 130411

The webcomponents.exe version is 3.0.4.6, while the old one from version 4.0.9 was 3.0.3.18.

and the image setup screen, with both the new WB settings and the Intelligent IR setting.

221505_1.jpg

My Blue Iris had trouble with high bit rate images from both the Hik and the Dahua 3MP bullet, and a recent update that included a smoothness fix (don't remember which version, but after direct to disk was added) got rid of that. I still see the occasional frame rate drop, but before that, it couldn't go above 4096 on either cam with a well lit scene with lots of detail. I'd get hundreds of dropouts in a sunny yard between 6 am and 6 pm, and none after the sun went down.

I purchased the Lorex domes under the assumption it was 3 axis. I am looking to mount on the wall at my front door. You can see where the security cam cable is and that is where it would go. Do you think it would be ok there to capture the front porch? I really do not want to get an arm mount there for this location and i do not want to use one of the bullets either. Thanks.

1533770929_frontdoor.JPG.5235a964359178c000777bcecf390154.JPG

I've just got 6 of the DS-2CD2132 domes from Aliexpress and while setting the IPs have noticed one of them won't let me change the IP. It keeps saying "parameter error" every time I try to save the change. All the others worked fine and this dome works aswell, other then not letting me set the IP.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? I suspect a firmware reflash (they are all on V5.0.0) may fix the issue, but have only been able to find it on the EU portal, with which the camera reports "wrong language" when I try to flash it. I have emailed Melinda, but while I'm waiting I was hoping someone here may have some pointers .

Thanks

Have you tried the reset button or resetting to defaults?

What about any network settings such as dhcp enabling?

Have you tried the reset button or resetting to defaults?

What about any network settings such as dhcp enabling?

I've tried both the reset options on the web GUI (full defaults, and defaults excl IP address). I haven't tried using DHCP, but playing around with a few options I noted I get parameter error if I try to change anything in the IP page. I also get it if I try to change the resolution to 3MP, but not if I change it to 720p. Nothing else on the video page seems to give me parameter error.

Its very odd, as other options can be changed and the camera is responding fine in every other aspect.

Make sure that the activex plug is up to date, remove the old version or just clear it out, try a different browser.

You weren't clear if you tried the reset button.

You can also use direct calls to update params, see here. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35960