videoVIP

Digital Cable/Satellite Signal Injector/Modulator?

Is anyone aware of a Channel Modulator that will work with Satellite installations? Client would like to watch the DVR on their TV, but they have satellite service...? I also have a few clients with digital cable, and the "old fashioned" analog modulators (e.g. NetMedia) do not work.

Is anyone aware of a Channel Modulator that will work with Satellite installations? Client would like to watch the DVR on their TV, but they have satellite service...? I also have a few clients with digital cable, and the "old fashioned" analog modulators (e.g. NetMedia) do not work.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind and a general idea of how the cabling is distributed through their house/bldg? Interfacing with Directv and their SWM wiring would be easiest as most any TV channel can be inserted onto the wiring. You can do it with cable TV too but that depends on if they have a hole already in the lineup or you can use a channel elimination filter to strip out a channel to insert your own. The filter has to match the total bandwidth of the system and the higher the frequency the higher the cost. It would be best to coordinate with them because they should be familiar with doing this kind of setup at a commercial location. Balancing your modulator to the adjacent channels is critical, if you dont have a meter here is where coordinating with the cable co would be handy.

If the TV service involves a set top box then interfacing with that will not be an option but that should mean the customer has the Tuner port open and available even if they are using off air. They would switch from TV on HDMI to Tuner on the channel your modulator is.

Do you have a specific scenario in mind and a general idea of how the cabling is distributed through their house/bldg? Interfacing with Directv and their SWM wiring would be easiest as most any TV channel can be inserted onto the wiring.

Client has a single dish which is distributed to appx. six TV's throughout the home via RG6. There are a few distribution blocks/amplifiers in the attic. I believe each TV has its' own "tuner box" (pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a satellite guy).

Client wishes to view the cameras on two TV's within the home.

I've looked at some set-ups from NetMedia involving modulators/splitters/combiners/filters, but they're not answering my e-mails. Their demo diagrams only show one TV, not multiple.

Client has a single dish which is distributed to appx. six TV's throughout the home via RG6. There are a few distribution blocks/amplifiers in the attic. I believe each TV has its' own "tuner box" (pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a satellite guy).

Client wishes to view the cameras on two TV's within the home.

I've looked at some set-ups from NetMedia involving modulators/splitters/combiners/filters, but they're not answering my e-mails. Their demo diagrams only show one TV, not multiple.

There is not a simple solution to say here are the parts you need and here is how to do it. First off there is Directv and Dish, and within either brand there can be various versions of what type of hardware the customer has. The key here is can you splice in a modulated channel without compromising the satellite side of things, but may need to heavily modify the setup to do so. You may notice that everything works on a sunny day when the signal from the dish is strongest but on a rainy day the signal is so weak they have loss of satellite errors even though the quantity of rain would normally not interrupt service.

Without having experience in CATV and satellite systems and having the meters to test these systems its going to be hard to tell you exactly what to do. For example we dont even know which system this actually is. The meters are not a must but it can help you balance the signals and tell if you have dropped the signal beyond the threshold of acceptable signal level. This can be done but the problem is that it will not be supported by the satellite techs that may come if the customer has issues. Now that is not a problem if you become the service tech but without a good RF background this is easier said than done.

With the amount of trail and error you may end up having to do you might find it easier to just start fishing a new cable and be done with it. Like I said before no scenario is going allow them to use the satellite receiver to view your modulator, so it may as well be on its own line. If they have Directv most liikely there is a SWM16 in the attic:

221402_1.jpg

This should feed into what may look like conventional TV splitters, this is where you would inject the modulator. You would basically put x2 2way splitters onto a line which without a meter I can tell you will knock the signal down by 7db. Depending on the given system you may have enough margin for that not to matter, if it is too much then an amp would be needed and this is where it could get too messy without the RF experience.

This might be best to quit while you are ahead but you know this customer better than I. The last thing you might want to hear is "ever since you did that work in the attic...."

If possible why not run an hdmi cable off of the dvr/nvr to an hdmi splitter then to the two tv's.Then all the customer would need to do is hit the input button on the remote.

If possible why not run an hdmi cable off of the dvr/nvr to an hdmi splitter then to the two tv's.Then all the customer would need to do is hit the input button on the remote.

That's a lot of work...in an attic...in FL...in June!

Usually when I get a client that wants this they are happy with my just inputting the output signal via an RCA cable on the AV video port, very cheap and lets them see what they want to see.