I have a question on focusing the p3367. Is there a way to see a larger view when I am doing the focus? In Motion Detection settings you can make the image larger when setting the motion detection area. I don't see that feature in the focus screen where it seems really important. I want to get as good a focus as possible but the screen is so small it is hard to tell when you have critical focus....

I take a snapshot, blow it up in photoshop, see it is slightly out of focus, go back to focus settings, try again, take a snapshot, lather, rinse, repeat....Very annoying.

What I've done in the past is to go to Live View, then set the browser to zoom to 150%, 200% or even 400%.

Anyone have any suggestions for what would be a nice compact solution if I wanted to have a speaker and microphone mounted near the P3367 for 2 way audio?

I have not tried a mic on an Axis camera other than the built in mic/speaker on the M10 series, but the Axis T83 mic will work, and costs almost the same price as the camera The audio in/out is 3.5mm jacks. You can try lesser expensive mics, many at CCTV stores, Amazon, eBay. Don't think it needs to be amplified as the T83 does not have a power spec. Just remember, a $10 mic may not be as good as the Axis $500 mic, just saying, but maybe a nice $50-80 mic way do the trick.

Then audio out is like audio out is on your home theater or car stereo except it's mono. Just a nice outdoor pre-amplified speaker should work. At our city pad, the building has speakers about the size of a bookshelf speaker. They have analytics software that triggers audio out when people loiter and encourages people to move along. Catches me off guard at times when the dogs take their time by one tree.

This is from the manual

Audio in - 3.5mm input for a mono microphone, or a line-in mono signal (left channel is used from a stereo signal).

Audio out - Audio output (line level) that can be connected to a public address (PA) system or an active speaker with a built-in amplifier. A pair of headphones can also be attached. A stereo connector must be used for the audio out.

BTW, not trying to rain on your parade, but check local laws on recording people's private conversations. Most state do not allow it and it's also against federal wire tapping laws. Sure, inside your house you may have some liberties, outside, you may not be able to enter a video into evidence that has audio.

What I've done in the past is to go to Live View, then set the browser to zoom to 150%, 200% or even 400%.

Browser scaling may help but anything other than 100% is awful for image quality.

BTW, not trying to rain on your parade, but check local laws on recording people's private conversations. Most state do not allow it and it's also against federal wire tapping laws. Sure, inside your house you may have some liberties, outside, you may not be able to enter a video into evidence that has audio.

Thanks Buellwinkle, that is what I was looking for in terms of mic/speaker info. In terms of recording conversations, I am really just thinking about using it to get a little value out of my expensive deterrent. To be honest, I am not sure I "need" this camera or a video surveillance system in general, but if I am going to put one in I might as realize some other value from it, like using it as a way to talk to people who might come to the door for legitimate purposes. Or scaring off the deer that come to eat our bushes

Tiny annoying barking dogs are the best deterrent and we have extras I can send you. They have built in sensor that can detect these subtle noises you can hear and go nuts barking that will even scare big dogs.

Go to the middle of this page - http://www.axis.com/products/m10_series/

There's a video, click that and listen to recording the camera plays. I was able to get that from Axis engineers, took a while but I love it. I have it if you want. So when it detects motion, it plays that, sends me pictures, just like the video. I also have one that says Intruder Alert over and over again.

BTW, there's a company I posted a while ago that uses that M10 inside an oversized electrical box with a brass or ss plate with slots for the mic and speakers and a doorbell. Looks high end. So your guest would press the doorbell, and from our PC or smartphone, be able to see them and talk to them. Also, Mobotix makes their Door Station T24, similar concept but maybe a little more expensive.

This is a dome with audio I installed recently, with a cheap mic. Not an axis or mobotix mind you, but a good demo of how audio can be very effective indeed.

9djw0wodcrc

This is a dome with audio I installed recently, with a cheap mic. Not an axis or mobotix mind you, but a good demo of how audio can be very effective indeed.

LOL, I watched that thing with anticipation, waiting for the "big moment". It never came....

Shockwave, do you know what mic you used, it isn't too bad. Thanks.

Tiny annoying barking dogs are the best deterrent and we have extras I can send you. They have built in sensor that can detect these subtle noises you can hear and go nuts barking that will even scare big dogs.

Go to the middle of this page - http://www.axis.com/products/m10_series/

There's a video, click that and listen to recording the camera plays. I was able to get that from Axis engineers, took a while but I love it. I have it if you want. So when it detects motion, it plays that, sends me pictures, just like the video. I also have one that says Intruder Alert over and over again.

BTW, there's a company I posted a while ago that uses that M10 inside an oversized electrical box with a brass or ss plate with slots for the mic and speakers and a doorbell. Looks high end. So your guest would press the doorbell, and from our PC or smartphone, be able to see them and talk to them. Also, Mobotix makes their Door Station T24, similar concept but maybe a little more expensive.

Buellwinkle,

Thanks. I have two australian shepherds that go crazy barking when someone pulls in the driveway and/or comes to the door. We are gone for long periods of time though and so this is for when the house is empty. And, while I would love to help you out and lighten your canine load, I will have to decline on the offer of small deterrents.

That Axis video is good. However, I don't think I really want to play that at my front door every time the milk guy, UPS driver, or my mother-in-law comes to the door. I could tie it to setting off the house alarm perhaps and play it inside the house, but they would have passed the camera by then.

Awesome,

all 3 cameras showed up this morning. Talk about fast shipping.

now to to get in over my head and start playing with these things

First one out of the box P3384-VE

see if I can figure out how to set it up on my desk here and play around

Congrats! The camera snaps out of the housing, just two spring clips on either end. Then you can mount the backing plate to where you want it, then the middle piece to that. Then the camera snaps back in place. You sort of have to take the camera out of it's housing in order to put the microSD card in anyway if I remember correctly, only did it once.

The big PITA is those nickel sized white grommets they use to cover access holes where you can put the cable through. You have to snip off the RJ45 plug, slip the Ethernet cable through the center of it and then crimp on a new RJ45 plug.

The other thing to watch out for is the 3-axis adjustment can be stiff, especially to rotate the lens.

...The big PITA is those nickel sized white grommets they use to cover access holes where you can put the cable through. You have to snip off the RJ45 plug, slip the Ethernet cable through the center of it and then crimp on a new RJ45 plug.

Axis includes an ethernet cable with RJ45 plugs on both ends and the grommet in the middle. When I installed mine, I just used a coupler. Is the goal to not use couplers?

Axis includes an ethernet cable with RJ45 plugs on both ends and the grommet in the middle. When I installed mine, I just used a coupler. Is the goal to not use couplers?

Couplers are ok in moderation. It is better not to use them on long runs, they can cause signal reflections and other problems, but in general one isn't going to kill you if you aren't pushing the limit on length of run.

LOL, I watched that thing with anticipation, waiting for the "big moment". It never came....

Shockwave, do you know what mic you used, it isn't too bad. Thanks.

Sorry, no big moment there! LOL! Just an example of audio. I would suggest that if you think you'll be using any extras, be it audio, aux, or alarms, hook them up initially. It's unlikely you'll want to do it after the fact and it can be more difficult to wire in than it has to be if you just do it right from the start. This is the mic I used. It has a good frequency response AND a gain adjustment knob- something I find very useful and not found on most other popular mics out there. Also, this is only rated indoors.

222259_1.jpg

The big PITA is those nickel sized white grommets they use to cover access holes where you can put the cable through. You have to snip off the RJ45 plug, slip the Ethernet cable through the center of it and then crimp on a new RJ45 plug.

Really?? That's counter productive for an installer. Why the heck would they force you to do that?

Really?? That's counter productive for an installer. Why the heck would they force you to do that?

Axis includes a 5M cable with the grommet already on it.

222261_1.jpg

As I search my memory, all of the holes into the camera are pre-plugged with grommets. You can use the included cable with grommet if it is long enough to reach your switch or remove a grommet from the hole you wish to use in the camera and punch it with a circular punch (the included torx driver is what they recommend) to insert your own cable to which you then attach the connector. No need to destroy the factory cable to get a grommet.

I realized today that my p3367 doesn't move in the direction I need it to. I can move the camera up/down and rotate it around, but there is no left/right (or yaw) movement. I want to mount the camera on the wall that my front door is in, but to left of the door. Then I want to angle the camera so that it just catches the door. I first thought I could do this by just using the rotate 90 degree feature in the video config along with rotating the camera itself. This works, but the aspect of the image is turned 90 degrees so it is long and thin (iow, it is moved vertically) and that doesn't work.

So, I need to figure out a way to either physically move the sensor 90 degrees or I need to devise a unique mount that will let me put it in an inside corner (rather than flat on the wall) such that it is angled back towards the door about 50-60 degrees. The inside corner mount will have to be able to be attached securely and not easily removed, and also be able to sit flat on one side but fit against angled lap cedar siding on the other.

It is a dilemma for sure. I guess I will contact support and see if there is a way to rotate the sensor 90 degrees, but I suspect the answer is going to be no.

Well,

Played with the 3384VE for a couple hrs yesterday and last night.

Not sure what to think about it. Seems there is an issue when there is bright background and subject is in the shadows closer to camera

According to the lit / marketing this is what this model was for.

Not sure you could recognize someone with this type lighting. it's about 5 in the evening in these shoots.

Could be I just don't have it all setup just yet

232456880_PoolDeck_6-7-2013_4-56-03.770PM.thumb.jpg.818ed6b04a37c86297a84447a38da91d.jpg

880800390_PoolDeck_6-7-2013_5-13-47.116PM.thumb.jpg.38fb4a101aef98d9b752fe53e863c19e.jpg

1120512651_PoolDeck_6-7-2013_5-34-32.562PM.thumb.jpg.c22fae05f823284bd7dfe29762eabd3d.jpg

TommyB, you might get better results playing with the exposure zones in the web config. Left, right, top, bottom, etc. That way it'll adjust for better results in the zone you select. The right side might catch enough of the sun, post, ceiling, etc to be a good balance. Worth a shot anyway.

TommyB, you might get better results playing with the exposure zones in the web config. Left, right, top, bottom, etc. That way it'll adjust for better results in the zone you select. The right side might catch enough of the sun, post, ceiling, etc to be a good balance. Worth a shot anyway.

P3384 does not have that feature for some reason.

or I have not been able to find it

--Edit

never mind, have to put it in light finder mode to get into those settings

P3384 does not have that feature for some reason.

or I have not been able to find it

--Edit

never mind, have to put it in light finder mode to get into those settings

Have you tried "Enabled Backlight compensation" in the Camera settings? That should take care of it...