lehrens

SDI-HD DVR

I'm looking to upgrade a clients existing camera systems, three buildings with approx 25 cameras per building all wired via coax back to guard desk in each building. Customer wants to convert to IP , what are my options for using the existing wiring infrastructure?

Any one have direct experience with the SDI DVR's. Ive heard about wire length issues?

Any thoughts and/or ideas would be helpful

thx

Wiring runs are shorter on the HD-SDI stuff, forget how much shorter, there are many manufactures making media converters which will let you run IP cams over existing Coax.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_acc/media_converters/cam_t8640/

Not sure if the cost will outweigh the benefits, this is something you will have to figure out for yourself. Depending on the difficulty of the wiring runs new CAT5 may be easier, but 25 cams can make for a lot of wiring.

Check the existing cables. If they are RG59 then you are good to 300 feet. If they are RG6 you are good to 500 feet.

I personally like HD-SDI cameras because they are plug and play. Get 2 decent 16 channel HD-SDI dvrs, run them with a good CMS on a PC and thats it.

If the client has money to spend, get dvrs that record uncompressed video. When you will do a playback and zoom in, there will be no pixelation.

Yes key issue is shorter distance in transmission. But now have some extending gear i.e. repeater, SDI-Fiber optical convertor. As you mentioned, three nearby building. You better gauge each distance for estimate which solution is better. I guess, you may consider high portional cost of man power to trench and replace cable.

So you could make a total cost comparsion table for you study which is best solution and premises owner will taking.

Cheers,

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah running new wire is not really feasible or cost effective, all infrastructure is already in place also (RG59) so it needs to be used.

I'm leery about the distances with SDI, pretty sure they are all in range (mostly) but cant install something that may not work properly.

Thank you. and RG59 is about 95M and RG6 is about below 150M. As I know some one has test it go through used cable and it would more shorter so I think you better consider equipped extending device to make sure the quality is well.

In my opinion, HD-SDI would be growing up in coming years for we called traditionl CCTV field without louse Lan and internet set up.

Cheers.

I personally like HD-SDI cameras because they are plug and play. Get 2 decent 16 channel HD-SDI dvrs, run them with a good CMS on a PC and thats it.

If the client has money to spend, get dvrs that record uncompressed video.

Where did u get Dvr which record uncompressed video ?

Thx

Back a few months ago I was doing a special project where I needed this feature. I could not find anything in the market. So I had 200 units made overseas. If you want one, PM me.