jmcu

Is this a ground loop issue ?

I have this camera powered by a 12v battery mounted to a tree. RG6 back to the DVR

You can see the tearing on the top of the vid and lines in the middle. The night time vid (12sec in) is not as bad, but it is still there.

I get a occasional vertical humbar that shows at night, but not all the time.

I have changed out the fittings several times.

I have the same camera right next to this one that has no issues at all.

Do you think it is a ground loop, connection or camera problem ?

Thanks..

DT8TasTO18c

Good question...

My "camera right next to this one" is about 4' away and I wasn't smart enough to leave enough power line to reach it before I buried it.

I will go and try to swap them around and see what happens..

Could be moisture getting into the connection, if these are outside are they protected by a weatherproof housing?

All my connections are taped off pretty good. I changed them all out several times as well.

Looks like it was a moisture problem. I undid the connection and there was a little water. I can't believe it did with all the tape I had on it.

My connectors have the center pin that the RG6 goes in to. I am not very impressed with the way they compress. About 1 out of 4 make a good connection. Maybe I should try the ones without the center pin...

I will give those boots a try... Thanks

You can use a whole roll of tape, that will not stop water from getting to the connector. You should put those connectors in a weatherproof housing of some sort and get some silicone.

You really do have to apply either silicone or tape well as both of them will easily fail on you when exposed to the elements for some time if not properly applied. With tape often the water gets inside and then is actually trapped in there so in some instances like a splice you would have been better off without tape. With silicone as it gets hot and cold it expands and contracts often not maintaining a weather proof seal that you had when you applied it.