xan021

I need couplers for the 12v power supply. Where can I buy?

Hello,

I desperately need to find male/male and female/female couplers for the 12v power supply of my cameras. Where can I find them?

just cut the wires and splice them. It can't be all that great quality as it is with those cheapo barrel connectors.

Scott

You can cut them like Scott said, and if you dont want to splice them together, just buy a terminal strip from rat shack and cut it into blocks of 4's .. + and - on either side, screw terminals. These actually come with some manufacturer's cameras.

The European Style ones here, easy to cut in blocks of 4

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=terminal%20strip&kw=terminal+strip

Rory

Edited by Guest

So you guys think using the power lead adapters are no good?

Wouldn’t it be better to use them so if you need to take the camera down you don’t have to undo a splice?

I bought some of the leads he is talking about because I am using Siamese cables that are terminated with a male barrel.

So I bought female power wire leads.

I also bought some yellow jacket wire connectors to avoid black tape.

Am I doing this wrong? What is the disadvantage of doing it this way?

The power adaptors pull off easily. You can tape them though .. but i prefer my own splice, i only use the terminal strips in a drop ceiling.

Here is where we get our power adapters. I prefer using the adapter over cutting the power wires on the camera and splicing, it makes it much easier to service, but I do tape the end to keep it from pulling apart.

http://www.pimfg.com/local_cat_a.asp?menu_no=0&getsubcat=Y&seq=10&seq_name=Power&main_type=123&sub_type=5&master_desc=SECURITY&secondary_desc=Power&third_desc=RCA%20Power%20Cable

What do you use outside to protect connections?

Are you able to keep all your connections inside the camera enclosure or do you use junction boxes?

We use outdoor single gang boxes. It makes it much easier to work on and hook up to with a monitor to adjust.

Is that standard that the end coming out of the camera (BNC & Power) are both female ends?

I was wondering about that a bit, is there a kit for making your own siamese cable?

Now-a-days there isn't really a standard. I have customers who swear by one piece bnc crimps ons and pig tails and others who say twist on are the best along with splicing the power together and of coarse there are the one who run the power and video over one coax. Everyone has there own favorites.

One last thing with the pimfg.com page. If I wanted to use a roll of siamese cable. From the outside of the house to the camera, going in the inside of the house, if I ran the female BNC & Female power into the house, what part would I want to connect the female power to the exposed siamese power wire (I assume I want a male connecter to splice together or solder together).

What would I want to use to connect the female power to the exposed wire? A male .... Which part number?

If you are using siemese bnc the coax/video remember the pin is the male so on the camera should be female for the 18/2 some cmaeras come with the screw terminator adapter or you can use wire nuts or standard crimp couplers it is completely up to your preference. Have you ever wired anything electrical even speakers??

i just cut the power and splice together with tape .. or heat shrink if you got it. Video can use BNC connectors. The siamese cable power part you just strip the power seperate at the DVR end and cut what length you need to reach the power supply, and what length video cable you need to reach the DVR.

I am not quite sure I understand what your saying. I was looking at these cameras & I am getting some quotes from the vendors online (at this site).

At the moment, this the example. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5849765210

In that camera, the ends coming out look like one is a female power & one is a female "bnc/rca". I am not sure about the terminoligy, so to me, everything that isnt a power is a bnc (Side Note: is BNC female & RCA Male - is that the only difference?)

If I was using that camera with siamease cable, I would want to take the "raw' end of the cable & put some sort of "end" on it to be able to plug it into the camera. I would need a Male video & a male power.

I am not sure where to get these.

I have used simple 2 wire stereo wires before. My buddy who is going to help me is pretty experienced. He did have some concerns on putting an "end" on the raw power wires (making it look nice).

If the camera has an RCA end then you use a BNC-RCA Adaptor.

Either way, on the Siamese cable you use BNC Connectors, i use twist ons myself.

With the power cable, the DVR end goes into the Multiple Power Supply box, pos to pos, neg to neg, and at the camera end, just cut off the power plug thats on the camera and join it to the Siamese cable's power, pos to pos, neg to neg - use a meter to test it before you hook it up, if the siamese cable has red and black, red goes to the center and black to the outer braid on the cameras cut power wire.

You can alternatively use a Terminal Strip, cut it into a 4 block and join the power cables like that (cutting off the cameras power plug once again)

I have seen those ready made cables, I actually watched a contractor attempt to pull those through conduit before. Rather funny when all the connectors are then at one end, cable at the other.

Scottj

I have seen those ready made cables, I actually watched a contractor attempt to pull those through conduit before. Rather funny when all the connectors are then at one end, cable at the other.

Scottj

I have to agree with Scott, those cables are terrible. Those cables will break real easy if they even snag a tiny bit.

Get yourself some thick siamese cable and buy some twist on BNC connectors.

Then you don't have to drill a bigger hole either and it will be much easier to work with. There is a whole thread on that cable to read if you wish.