Beside Axis what company has the ability to record onto SD and view live and recorded with some app.

Looking for cheaper than Axis or ones that just have IR

I've chosen to go with Avtech.Check out their ip cams then just goggle the model you like. A few models have onboard SD storage plus their Push Technology..

I've reviewed 3 of their push series models in the past. You can view recordings from their EagleEye apps (blackberry, android, IOS) if you have a model with an SD card slot.

Many cameras have SD card storage, but very few provide an easy way to view the recordings. Axis makes cameras in several prices ranges. I reviewed the M1014 which is the lowest priced camera from Axis with Edge Storage.

Now that's not true, all their push series cameras are not PoE, not most. BUT, you can use non-standard PoE. I pushed them on this about a year ago, saying just use a 12V PoE injector/splitter and apparently they sell that now. It's not 802.3af PoE, so don't try this with a PoE switch. It's a 12V PoE injector (not 48V) and on the camera side, a splitter takes the 12V and puts in a power plug you plug into the camera and plain Ethernet.

Beside Axis what company has the ability to record onto SD and view live and recorded with some app.

Looking for cheaper than Axis or ones that just have IR

What do you want to record/review?

As in one day/half-day -only recording?

Do you know that a 25fps@FULLHD recording needs at least 3GB/hour, even if H.264 encoded (Full recording, no motion based)?

Silly question, but:

-fist month you'll check the cam and watch it closely

-next month you'll check them "at some point"; what happens if the "some point" it's 3 weeks ago(as in 3 weeks ago some tools vanished from the yard)?

Not that bad. I had some 3MP Mobotix at a pool for a condo set to not use more than 50GB on the NAS to test how long video would stay around with that much space. During the winter, about 2 months, during the active summer, about 1 month. A 64GB card should provide plenty of storage per camera with h.264 and I bet you get a month of motion event recordings.

For home use and even in commercial use where we have to wait for law enforcement to request it before we can look at it sometimes, I've rarely had to go back more than a week.

Silly question, but:

-fist month you'll check the cam and watch it closely

-next month you'll check them "at some point"; what happens if the "some point" it's 3 weeks ago(as in 3 weeks ago some tools vanished from the yard)?

Because if something vanish motion should be detected and I should be emailed an alert which I can always search the mail program

Not that bad. I had some 3MP Mobotix at a pool for a condo set to not use more than 50GB on the NAS to test how long video would stay around with that much space. During the winter, about 2 months, during the active summer, about 1 month. A 64GB card should provide plenty of storage per camera with h.264 and I bet you get a month of motion event recordings.

For home use and even in commercial use where we have to wait for law enforcement to request it before we can look at it sometimes, I've rarely had to go back more than a week.

Using what settings for: bitrate, framerate and resolution?

Those are older Mobotix, so 3MP and I believe the max FPS for that camera was 8 fps. Don't believe Mobotix lets you twiddle with bit rate, more of a % compression setting and I had issues before ID'ing someone, so it was set at the lowest compression rate but not h.264, it was Mobotix own compression.

At high bit rates even at 15fps, 64gb cards won't get you much at all- most especially residential. But that's not necessarily terrible either. Depends on your needs. Maybe a few days or a week is fine for you. Businesses will prefer longer storage times. I recently got 45 days out of a 3tb hard drive at a busy business with 2mp cameras at high bit rates, 15fps, motion AND two cameras recording full time. Cards are for short term storage only, ime.

so any other brands? the non poe of the AVTech kinda kills it.

Unless ....

avermedia is another option. and will give you 20-30 days with option to dump recordings to network hard drive.

I'm working with a large camera company to provide the exact functionality you want. Write to a NAS, then have a web interface that resembles an NVR in that you'll have a way to play back the recordings using a timeline on the web interface. So an all in one solution, PoE, megapixel resolution, albeit each camera will be separate, sort of like Mobotix but easier to use. If it works, it will be huge and priced well.

Also, not sure as I have not personally used it, but Dahua can record to SD card, and then you use their CMS software call PSS to view the recordings. More like the way Axis works. But doing that way, like Axis means no web browser nterface.

Which company?

Time frame?

Will it have alerts?

Will they make an app for iDevices and Android?

Will the app be able to control all camera?

Will they have a PC viewer app?

Hi. only problem with going with new products is reliability. lots have tried going NAS the mobotix way and cant.

new apps also have to be made (mobotix took 12 months)

will you have a PC or internet at your home.

most cameras will do what you need. just look for smart recording to save space.

so any other brands? the non poe of the AVTech kinda kills it.

Unless ....

you use a PoE splitter to get power and data to it from the same PoE-powered LAN cable?

I was looking for the same thing and finally found a solution after looking for weeks.

I'm going with a Hikvision dome camera (DS-2CD754FWD-EI)

-3MP

-32gb SD recording

-POE

-Browser based playback with timeline on Win or OSX

-IR

-Audio Inputs

But that seems like you would need to access each camera individually.

Do they have an app that allows access to all?

Maybe I should open my options.

I want the camera to either record to local media or a NAS share (I have synology).

I want to install no NVR recording software on a machine for recording

I want to view all camera live and recorded information from a computer viewer, or web site or iPhone / Android app

I want POE and IR

Hikvision looks like some do the record to NAS. Can you buy from a US distributor?