jdoggg1

Decent IP Cameras Under $250 each?

No there isn't. But there isn't much offerings or variety either. With much written, many opinions, and plenty of pics from them to see, one has to eventually make their own choice and buy in for themselves. Hand holding will only go so far. Pick your cameras and there you have it.

No there isn't. But there isn't much offerings or variety either. With much written, many opinions, and plenty of pics from them to see, one has to eventually make their own choice and buy in for themselves. Hand holding will only go so far. Pick your cameras and there you have it.

Ahh, well then this thread accomplished nothing then.

Here you go.

For a bullet camera, this is good. http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7326

For a dome, this is good. http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7330

Firmware updates are available, stable. Replaceable batteries.

I've had $800 Toshiba Cameras with buggy network firmware and batteries soldered to the circuit board.

These cameras are head and tails above those.

I'd agree with shockwave199. At some point, you have to just pick a camera and go with it.

In this price range, it's all about trade-offs, and those are all well documented in the vast number of posts about these cams.

If tech support and easy firmware access is important, choose Hikvision over Dahua. If softness in the shade is a showstopper, don't buy Dahua. If more noise at 1/30 sec in total darkness is a problem, avoid the Hik mini-bullet. It's still not clear if the Hik mini-dome has the same issues.

If you want awesome performance in all situations, you need to pay more, but still avoid the big Dahua 3300C, as it's got the same issues as the small Dahuas even though it costs more.

If you want awesome performance in all situations
Decent IP Cameras Under $250 each?

Is it that hard to say "this one is good overall for the money as are x, y, z"? No one in this thread is looking for a golden unicorn camera. It's about finding the Honda Civic or Craftsman Tools of security cameras. They are a reasonable step up from the bottom-end crap where you get the best value for your money... no bells and whistles, but items that serve their basic purpose reliably.

Or, to put it in computer terms: A little over a year ago, if you'd have asked me what the best CPU was for a very reasonable price, I'd have said i5 2500k is the best value for the money. Could it touch the i7? No. Was it even the most powerful i5? No. There were 15 different procs I could recommend but that was my go-to suggestion for anyone building anything from a low to upper-mid range multimedia PC.

Here you go.

For a bullet camera, this is good. http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7326

For a dome, this is good. http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7330

Firmware updates are available, stable. Replaceable batteries.

I've had $800 Toshiba Cameras with buggy network firmware and batteries soldered to the circuit board.

These cameras are head and tails above those.

THIS is exactly what i'm looking for... as are a lot of people from what I've seen on many forums/boards. Thank you.

You want us to make buying decision for you, like what car should I buy, what pants should I buy, what should I have for lunch today, like your helpless. Several people offered their recommendations, you have to run with it.

^^ If I remember correctly, one generous person even offered to speak privately about what would probably be a MUCH better turn out than two hik cameras. Amazing.

I'm trying to build a 5 camera setup using blueiris and one of my PCs. I'm trying to stay at/around $1000 for the cameras alone. 3 outdoor and 2 indoor cameras. I've been eying the Acti TCM-1111, but I only see them at $275+. I want decent outdoor visibility up to about 30'; indoor I don't care terribly much about night quality.

I know "you gotta spend more to get good stuff" is the general sentiment, but I'm struggling to make this work at $1000. I've been burgled twice since February... never move to vallejo CA.

Next time keep it simple- just ask for product links. It'll save those of us who take the time to help make an informed decision a LOT of time and effort.

I know "you gotta spend more to get good stuff" is the general sentiment, but I'm struggling to make this work at $1000. I've been burgled twice since February...

"you gotta spend more" is focusing on the solution before you have defined the problem. You need to start a project like this with a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. You've been burglarized twice since February. What is your objective? Be specific. Do you want to record the next burglary so you have something to show your friends on Youtube? What do you want to accomplish?

One good camera that always works is better than half dozen ok cameras.

Get an alarm system and put the yard sign up, stickers on the windows.

... and put the yard sign up, stickers on the windows.

Why do you recommend yard signs and window stickers? I've studied surveillance video of crimes in this area and burglars don't seem to care about signs. For day time home burglaries, the two biggest deterrents are when people are at home and barking dogs. I've also studied the night crimes in this area and burglars tend to prefer driveways that are lit or have motion lights. It's easier to see inside a vehicle if the area is lit. One deterrence I have noticed at night is a 50W Raymax IR source. I have video on two separate occasions of auto burglars walking towards a vehicle in a driveway and then turning away towards the next house when they spotted the bright red glow. (I caught them anyway because they tripped the outdoor long-range PIR motion sensors.)

If a criminal has a choice between two exact houses in a sub division, one with an ADT sign and one without.

Won't they pick the none alarmed one? Unless there is something specific they're after.

Won't they pick the none alarmed one?

Where did you hear that? ADT? Are you aware that alarm companies will send signs to any home, even if they are not a client? Signs are great for free advertising. I've asked many homeowners in our city it they are monitored and if they have signs. Guess what. They are more likely to have signs if they are not monitored. I generally recommend against signs. IMO, a sign says, "I can't afford to be monitored so I put up this free sign instead."

A city police officer told me this after getting burgled. He said get an alarm system or a dog to warn off burglars.

I have both, with dual communication paths, dual dogs and cameras.

Ok, if there are 10 houses, and only one has an ADT sign. Do you not think it would less likely to be targeted at random?

Ok, if there are 10 houses, and only one has an ADT sign. Do you not think it would less likely to be targeted at random?

Nope.

Nope.

haha, ok.

What if there are yard signs, window stickers, a siren on the side of the house, alarm keypads armed visible from the windows ?

Less likely?

And all the other 9 houses have gold chains dripping from the ceilings, visible through the windows?

Criminals are often, but not always, stupid, drugged, unobservant, whatever.

If they think you have an alarm and cameras, yes, they'll go somewhere else. If they don't notice, well, it won't make a difference, but there's nothing to be done about that.

Signs and stickers are an inexpensive way of warning the ones who are paying attention to go elsewhere. It won't hurt, will it? A real alarm system is better, since the racket when they open a door or break a window is generally effective. Likewise, loud dogs, or a recording of barking dogs tied to your motion sensor or alarm system.