I'm getting ready to install a Swann DVR4-2600 at the house. I've been reading around and it seems like most people advice to hide the DVR in the attic. Why the attic? My home is getting re-plumbed and I was in the crawling space on the weekend. I found a small empty space partly enclosed that is about 17in x 36in and I am thinking of hiding my DVR there. I was thinking of installing a small access door ether from the garage or a closet that gives access to crawling space. Third option would be installing access door from crawling space. Any comments or ideas?

Where do you live?

Here in Canada the attic gets way to hot in the summer and way to cold in the winter, electronics don't do well in extreme heat or cold, I would suggest hiding it in your closet, besides a more stable temperature its easy to access should their be a problem.

i plan on putting mine above my flat screen, building a wooden shelf, scratching off the name, so it looks like a normal dvd player to the untrained eye.. just my .02

You could build a complete false wall or ceiling in a closet if you was crafty.

Or put it in a VCR no one wants one of those haha

yea that's the last place you would want to put it due to dust, bugs and heat you cut the life expectancy of your dvr in half at least