buellwinkle

Poor man's Synology NAS for your cameras

Wouldn't frame rate depend on processor? For example, if you buy a Synology NAS you will get an Atom processor, but if you run Synology DMS on an i7 PC, you would have better performance, no?

Yes, Synology advertises different capabilities for different DiskStation units depending on how much CPU it has. However, that only results in a larger # of cams and a larger # of FPS for all cams combined. Even with the top end current generation DiskStations they still don't support higher than 1080P resolution.

I am really thinking about giving Milestone a go on this i3 box that I have... assuming that they can support camera side motion detection. Otherwise I don't know that the i3 has enough juice to handle 4 cameras.

if it helps I've run 2 x camera's on a HP DC7800 which comes with a Dual core 2.66ghz Core Duo, this is with Milestone Go and it ran just fine, CPU was quite low, where you'll have issues is when the camera count starts to jump and when you log in with a mobile phone or the smart client the CPU usage goes up considerably, with just two camera's my DC7800 test box handled it just fine, however I'd not want to push it past around 6 camera's.

the DC7800 was $150 AUD worth of hardware

if you want something with enough to kick on for a few more camera's you can get a quad core box for around $300-400 AUD, then throw in some decent sized disks and you're good to go.

Can someone see if they have this problem with synology nas and hikvision/swann cameras

using the synology ds cam android app or apple app, and trying to view a swann aka hikvision camera on synology

it seems that even though the fps shows 1-3 fps, that the camera only updates the image i see on my phone every 6-7 seconds (based on time stamps updating on my screen.

i only have a problem with swann, my geovision cameras have the 1-3 fps and updates accordingly.

it would seem that there is some configuration problems with swann that causes this.

problem solved, i-frame interval changed from 100 to 1

fps moving nicely now