RJTwin

Nuvico DVR 8ch stand alone Home use

Looking at the Nuvico 8ch DVR for home application. I have a wireless network and was thinking of just using my laptop to record any crime if it happens. This would save on the cdrw drive and would let my buget get a larger hard drive. Is my thinking correct? I was looking at the 300gig HD and was told it would last about 1 month. Also signing up for a dealer at www.vsscctv.com. Any suggestions?

Stick with the internal HD since you will get a better FPS and also higher resolution. As far as VSSI, they have been a distributor in the industry for several years and have a fine reputation. Ask them about the equivalent DVR in the Vitek line, it is the same unit but OEM'd and I think it might actually cost less. If you set the motion detection properly you should be able to extend the HD recording time, but look into the higher GB options on both the Nuvico and Vitek since it might not cost that much more to get extended recording ability.

No disrespect intended, but I have to disagree with the recommendation of an internal hard drive.

An external hard drive will be plenty fast to record 8 channels of video across a USB or FireWire connection, if that is that case?

They also offer the portability function which is very nice to have if you want to have maximum flexibility.

I use a USB hub and use several hard drives connected to the computer to allow me to easily take a hard drive out for review and to easily add more storage capacity.

RJT..you say you have a wireless network..then what about getting a DVR that is wireless as well? there area few out there such as APPRO...take a look at this spec..

http://www.approtech.com/product/nvr/nvr-2028.htm

when you are ready to purchase whichever DVR, Nuvico, or whichever ..let me know...PM me, we are also a distributor and i have worked very closely with all the members here in the forum with special pricing. Thank you.

Howard

SpyTown.com

You may also want to think about getting the JV series of the Nuvico DVR. This particular model allows for a hot-swappable hard drive. This will allow you to experiment with different hard drive sizes.

I am not sure if they still do this, but Nuvico used to allow their Dealers and Distributors to replace the internal hard drives at will. If this is still the case, I would recommend going with either the No hard drive option or the 80GB version and putting in your own second HDD. They are simple IDE HDDs and the installation literally takes 10 minutes at the most and will save you a lot of money.

In either case I always recommend a very large hard drive on the Nuvico DVRs. They have a problem of recording at night even when there is no motion. Depending on the cameras that you have the DVR will detect the grain generated from the cameras as motion. This even occurs when setting the sensitivity level all the way down.

l have the nuvico xg model 16 ch and my cd rw is not working,it wont open up,l called up tcech support and they said to a/ use a pin to open the draw which l tried and it opened but still doesnt want to record to drive.

b/ use a crossover cable and save data to a external hard drive or a laptop.l bought the cat 5 cable however l dont think l am doing it right,l connected the cable to the back of my laptop and then connected the other end into the usb port on the dvr using an adaptor usb-cat5, reason l am doing that way because my wireless router is connected to the cat 5 connection on the back of the dvr!!

l am new at all this stuff,so if someone can tell me the best way to record to a laptop or an external drive? from the recorded data step by step l would appreciate some help,thanks for any replies in advance.

Nuvico has had many problems with the XG series. My recommendation is to return it from where ever you bought it from as defective and purchase instead the DV Turbo model also from Nuvico. It has a CD burner and is 30FPS per camera and is probably less expensive than the XG.

As far as your current problem, you need to purchase a Cat5e CROSSOVER cable. This is different from a regular Cat5e cable. The pin-out is different. Once you do this it will be like setting a local area connection, except with no router in between.

If you have any further problems from there call Nuvico and ask to speak with either Luke or Mike. They have an "intimate" relationship with the XG series as they have had to field many complaints such as yours.

the Nuvico Turbo series are an excellent choice. They are now available and shipping. a little on the expensive side, but for 30fps per channel, its worth it..the quality and performance are there.

Ok thanks, still 15fps per channel for 16 channels, for stand alone is very good. I generally ignore the lower resolutions myself.

Rory

what is cif mode, and what is considered the best recording resolution or optimum resolution along with recording fps???

CIF resolution is 352×240(NTSC) and 352x288 (PAL) and generally this is where Stand Alones Max out as far as recording resoltution.

The best FPS would be 30 per channel.

And as of now if you are reffering to just stand alone DVR's the best recording resolution I have seen is Full D1 (720 × 480NTSC and 720 × 576PAL)

I am still waiting on my dealership papers to go through with vsscctv. Could you give me a quote on the product below and any other dvr comparable?

Thank You,

jason@rjtwin.com

RJT..you say you have a wireless network..then what about getting a DVR that is wireless as well? there area few out there such as APPRO...take a look at this spec..

http://www.approtech.com/product/nvr/nvr-2028.htm

when you are ready to purchase whichever DVR, Nuvico, or whichever ..let me know...PM me, we are also a distributor and i have worked very closely with all the members here in the forum with special pricing. Thank you.

Howard

SpyTown.com

RJT...are you asking me to quote you? since you copied my text in your message? The pricing for that unit is on the SpyTown.com website. i can work out a little better pricing for you , as i always have for all the members here in the forum. just PM me.

Thank you.

Howard

SpyTown