kandcorp

RG-59 Repeaters and Amplifiers

Who has used Amps or Repeaters for RG-59/COAX cable?

What kind of distance did you get?

Video Quality?

Make and Model of Amp?

Hi kandcorp,

I have used Tecsec Launch amps in the past they will let you launch upto 5 volts P-P and they have both mains powered or 12volts DC, you could also try Adlestone as I have heared they are one of the best for CCTV transmission equipment.

Actually Rick I never knew Pelco had that. Usually when some one tells me they want a 3000 foot run to have good video is first if they have the money use fiber, if no money then you can get a cheap 4ch video amp with sharpness and breightness control for well under a bill or the middle road twisted pair with juice.

Yeah, and talking to my "techie" buddy over there way-back-when he said it actually works like a champ. I guess it not only boosts the signal but also corrects it to a perfect 1V p-p. And if you "beef-up" your cable here are the quoted maximums:

Maximum

Cable Type Effective Distance

RG59/U 3,000 ft (914.4 m)

RG6/U 4,500 ft (1371.6 m)

RG11/U 6,000 ft (1828.8 m)

RG15/U 8,000 ft (2438.4 m)

Hey JMANOFNVS... did you look at my cameras yet? You don't want to miss this boat (was doing a lot of reading on UK sites where these have been a hit). I don't want to suggest that the Brits are ahead of us on some things, but they did discover that Beer (actually, Bitters, Ale, Stout) was food before we were a nation.

Edited by Guest

You know Pelco has always been great, I have heard some things about the dx7000 and 8000 when the cdrw's first came out but there customer service is great not to mention SOME of there tech's have helped me put together some crazy ****. Rick I checked out your site needs work but products look promising. Shoot me some pricing and I will talk to the powers that be.

Hey... stop ripping the site... or would you prefer the Korean characters I started with I'm busy selling stuff, okay (not to mention the divorce thing). Anyway, I'm not targeting end users that go to fancy websites full of detailed information to help them make their shopping cart decisions (that's why you and your dealers are in business)... but rather I am targeting CCTV distributors (you know... they like pictures and don't read much anyway)

Please don't mention the DX7000 again - - my only bad experience with Pelco, and it was terrible. Drilled support before buying it to confirm that it would do what I needed, they said it would and it didn't. Combination of a brand new product (they didn't make) that they had no experience with (yet... and if they'd know then what experience they were about to have they might have run for the hills). Anyway, that coupled with a DVR challenged tech-support team at the time - Pelco's late entry in to the DVR market - the reason they bought the (weak) technology, and a couple of techies that said "yes" when they should have said "I don't know" or "I'll find out.". Thankfully for them they have now moved well beyond that. Anyway, I was able to solve all of my problems with a little programmable "smart-relay" with a buit-in "real-time clock" (I sold automation products for about 15 years)... but what a hassle, especially after going to so much effort before my DVR purchase.

Anyway, here is the review of our camera's "technology" by the PSI group in the U.K. http://www.securityweb.co.uk/tests/cctvtests/ssnr.pdf

And thanks JMAN - - I'll get you something and am glad to have met you (here) and thanks to Rory and the gang for the forum.

I am a Bangers and Mash guy Rory.

Edited by Guest

Hey, as long as they are in the past and they and you have learned from them, you gotta. You'll be okay. If a manufacturer (or their biggest distributor) ever forgets that you (they, we all) are ultimately on the customer's side it is (and will be) their problem.

Edited by Guest

I had some bad experiences with some Kalatel (Ahem, GE) gear but overall their DVRs are rock solid and their multi site WaveReader software is great .. I heard though that most of the Pelco is Pico 2000 DVR cards??? And though they wont admit it, the Bosch Stand Alone's remote software is identical to WebGate incs (also used by Hunt)

I know Webgate very well Rory. Sold it faithfully for years, despite challenges (my best buddy in the bus. was there for years and I have solved a lot of unique applications with their products). Yes, it is OEM'd by those you mentioned and others, as well as their IP products by Samsung TW, Pentax, Mitsubishi and others. They are a big part of how and why I got in to this business, and their product still does some apps better than any other I've found, and believe me I've looked.

Yeah they have some good specs, ive tested their demo, there were some drawbacks to the DVR product such as no browser based, and the compression used, but over all they have decent gear. Samsung Techwin looked like they took the SDK to another level though, or maybe they had it developed more for their own app ..?

Yes, Webgate and Samsung TW are especially close (in S. Korea). Browser issue has always been there - - there is an SDK to make (finish) your own but who's up for doing the work. I just convinced lots of folks that they could really live with the "Client" only (carry a laptop), and that it was so much better than others, it was worth it. One thing on their eDVR differential wavelet though - - I've seen it flow very nicely over 128K up - havent found a browser based do that (usually the browser gifs can't even load)... and unlike MPEG the image doesn't suffer - - just the frame rate obviously slower. I am one of those (maybe a dying breed) that believes (when it comes to DVR's) that image quality is still king (vs. fast moving "blocky" images). I was always selling (successfully) against folks offering something like 26 years storage (because they didn't want the focus to shift to their crappy pictures). You, playing in the PC Based DVR world (where I was a hard core "embedded" guy) might have seen things differently.

Me, i was a Kalatel/GE one for 5 years .. just last year I moved to PC for, well no Customs Duty, Faster Speeds and Higher Evidence Sharing - IF, you use the right compression ...

basically yep, I used the Kalatel with WaveLet (and still do) for high quality rock solid, throw it in a closet, plug, play, and forget it app. XP SP2 made my diff in switching also, up to SP1 I would never had touched PC based. But really, its also the duty thing, it costs us 35% Customs on Video equipment, PC is duty free. I wrote a browser based ActiveX control for Kalatel way before they released their own, so if you say it is doable, may be worth looking at. Its the same quality, you just get less features with ActiveX, plus you still have to install something. I mean you can actually make a very powerful activeX copy of the client software, but then like myself i wrote a 2mb Client Program that downloaded and installed just as easy .. javascript refresh is the only real benefit of using a browser based app. Geo needs to learn that also. Most Web Cafes wont let you install ActiveX and even slower lower quality Java.

Oh well ..

I made a hack for the Geo's to use a Javascript refresh, if you want to see it let me know, its not complete but it works 100% once i have the applet running. Once I complete the current project I will get back into it and take it to a whole different level.

Rory

For me it was primarily the DM (but also some others) whose browser interfaces were so pitiful (and having a lot of experience with the WG servers that performed in a browser so beautifully) I was just really turned off to it. And like to say you have to install (or accept) something anyway and we all now how (especially now) browser and XP securiity issues can baffle a basic user during such a process. WIth the client (which one could download and install in about the time it takes to accept the Active-X (and pee) what's the diff. And from the manufacturers standpoint, they often suggested (maybe an excuse) that from a "security standpoint" the client was superior. Anyway...

As to PC Based - - the guy I work with building systems (for his dealers) uses the Kodicom stuff - - I guess he gets a killer deal (boards only, or unbranded version or something) and likes it alot (maybe simple and trouble free) - kinda lo-res from what I remember of the specs but the pictures look great (go figure - - maybe they don't print or need much detail requiring enlarging or whatever). Anyway, I'll be sure to let him know of your capabilities. When are you moving stateside?

Yep, I did customized versions for the Kalatel DVRs (not affiliated with them) then used the Iview PC based and did that one, did one for the Eclpse which is basically DigiFlower (or was) it worked but the software itself was not stable, and then finally Geo, which allows me the best customizing of all, without actually using an SDK. I prefer the Remote software side of it anyway.

Like you said, the security with SP2 now, ActiveX is a task. I stopped developing the GE browser based a couple years ago and just redid the Client side, just made more sense. I still have a decent active X that works with the Kalatel and GE DVRs though, if you ever want to check it out let me know, still better than what they offer to this date.

When i got hold of the Iview, that was the best I had seen and then some, but unknown company and well hard to get a hold of, so moved on. You may see some of my posts on it on this forum. When I went Geo, the hardware itself and software is stable as ever, powerful and full of features, but had one of the worst GUIs i ever did see, and also horrible remote software ... so i took my software from the others, to another level.

Anwyay, i made this client side app for it using their activeX, and then a MultiSite multiview version up to 30 cameras, will goto 64 cameras when i get the chance. Each camera/view is a seperate connection as with any DVR, but the Geo allows me to do that with as many seperate sites as I need to, so essentially right now I can do 30 sites, and if I do the 64 way, that will be 64 sites. I gotta give it to GE (or KAlatel) as theirs is what gave me the idea, though it is different, for a stand alone WaveReader is a powerful software, multi groups, sites, and screens cutomizable up to 64 way.

Ive used alot of Stand alones, DM was the first one i was looking at 5/6 years ago, but i chose to use the Kalatel after much research, and glad i did. DM is not something I will use, i can see where it comes in useful in the UK as it is made there, but for the US, its a waste of money when there are much better choices. I have set up 2 DMs for people here and I am even more glad I dont use them, especially knowing how much more expensive they are compared to something like the GE.

As for StateSide, hopefully things will happen this year ... its looking good so far.

Thanks

Rory

Cool on the stateside - - just don't land in St. Charles, MO or someplace like that. Hey.. tell you a secret on the GE Multiviewer - - I really believe they got the idea from Webgate (they met seriously at least a few years ago - - when GE was obviously looking around as eventually proved through their capture of Kalatel). At that time the multiview software was a $300 option for the older Webgate B104 - was called CamViewer. Still works like a champ (I have a big old customer in Alaska - dozens of sites - that I check on periodically). Going to sleep - - nice knowing you Rory, appreciate yor insight and your hosting of this place - - as well as your patience with my long posts (every time I try to shorten them... they grow). Will follow on getting you that sample via email in coming days.

WaveReader was out for a few years before I got a hold of it, and that was like 6 years ago, totally different software anyway, WaveReader is an all one program (no seperate forms/modules) .. very powerful. . Kalatel was one of the first companies doing Remote Video for DVRs (there were only about 3 or 4 back then), and actually they aquired the software from Impact Technlogies who are the developers of the software they still use to this date ..

No prob

But we have Larry the Admin to thank for this forum, Im just a voice on here

Rory