mhz

IP CCTV System for house

Hi there, I recently came across this forum whilst researching for an IP CCTV system for my new house I am building

Currently in the house I am renting I have a Qnap NAS storage device which is also recording from a Foscam and D-Link camera over wireless.

The quality isn't the best and in the new house I would like a better system

I want to stick with IP cameras and will most likely cable the house with Cat6

I am not sure on what sort of cameras to get though and whether or not to stick with the Qnap for storage/recording or get a whole new DVR/NVR

I don't want to spend a fortune on the system so Axis cameras are probably not something I will look at, however I still want to get the best quality/image possible for the price.

Can anyone out there help with some suggestions?

Thanks

Look for some cheap Hikvision-sourced mini bullets somewhere. Easy to find under $200 each. For the money, really good daytime performance and good nighttime vision. I use mine alongside Axis Lightfinder cameras so I'm less happy with their night performance than some others on here, but they ARE a lot cheaper. Costco (Swann or Lorex branded there) or Wrightwood Surveillance come to mind as places to buy. Qnap or Synology are good for storage but as an NVR solution you might be better off using a computer with NVR software, especially if you want to use the NAS as an NVR concurrently with other tasks and want to run them at somewhere close to their rated camera capacity.

Hikvision as already stated are pretty cheap, they are on sale right now if you have access to ADI.

Vivotek can also be cheap.

If you want really cheap, with a high number of cameras NVR and all look at a packaged system at Costco.

Also you can skip the CAT6 for wiring in cameras, just an added extra cost.