tomva

Securing the DVR

Hi Guys

Thanks for the great forum, very informative.

My house was burgled a few months ago and all my electronic equipment was stolen including my PC. This got me interested in CCTV and I have since hooked up a 4 channel PC based DVR with 3 cameras attached so far (can't stop after the first one).

The thing about a CCTV system that is not constantly monitored is that if your DVR gets stolen then the whole system is useless. To secure mine I welded a metal frame for the PC and bolted it to the wall and floor. What do you professionals do to secure your DVRs?

The main thing is to make sure it is in a a secure location, such as a locked office, alarm systems, etc. Anything else you can do to secure it also helps, such as a locked rack case or enclosure.

It's never going to be 100% though, so its just taking extra measures to make it more difficult to defeat, and perhaps sending video on motion to a remote location for off site recording. Unless you have access to a nice underground reinforced steel bunker with bomb proof walls and doors

Rory

Remote Hard Drive recording is Key for these particular situations. Like VST said use an external USB drive and hide it away form the DVR itself. So in case of another burglery at least you have the video footage still.

How about a DVR/VCR lockbox which is made for the purpose. Also, since the DVR, once setup rarely needs access, how about placing it in a hidden location. (In a drop ceiling, closet,,,,)

closets are hot down here, drop ceilings are okay though ..

but not that sturdy .. and lots of dust ... embedded stand alones should manage okay in those situations though ... but i think they were talking about a PC DVR ..

When we install dvrs or pc based systems in false ceilings, we use plastic coated steel electrical banding (the type with holes in it used to secure large cables etc to cable trays).

We screw 2 x slings of this to the proper ceiling and just let the dvr/pc hang there. This also keeps the fans up out of any dust that may accumilate on the ceiling tiles.