chucky

Costco Swann 16 Channel HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD

It's not a great value. The camera costs with the Hikvision costs about $169 each shipped, so that's about $1,300 and then the NVR should be about $450ish and 3TB HDD about $100 so about $1,900 in value for $2,500. The advantage of buying it separate is you can pick & chose which cameras to get (dome or bullet), you pick how many you want and the Hikvision version is 3MP vs. 2MP (1080P).

There are some good things about that package. 16 port poe, 2 varifocal cameras, 3tb hard drive. I wonder if the front slot can take a cd/dvr rom drive. It would be better if these packages came with 100' cables, but they're cheap enough to score separately for longer runs. The varifocals look interesting- haven't heard a thing about them as far as performance.

No one has posted much of anything in the way of backup footage from these swann systems. 1080p is great, but how does it look crunched down to H.264. Also it would be nice to see a demo of the smart phone app and how it works. I have a windows phone, so it's never a given any phone app would work. DMSS works on windows phone, but not nearly the same as it does on androids and I's. I've never seen a demo on the remote software or even the web client for these things. It would be nice to see that, as that is every day life when viewing these things. And can an alarm out be manually triggered for say, a siren? Also it's not clear to me how a ptz is implemented in nvr's. Can any IP ptz be hooked up via the on board poe for picture, powered separately of course, and then typical 485 com line run from the nvr to the camera?

For me personally, there are still too many unknowns about the swanns/lorex/hikvision nvr's as stated above to commit such large bucks.I'm always hopeful that someone will actually dig and and demo these nvr's. Everyone talks cameras but the heart of these things, the nvr's, are largely still a mystery in almost all respects.

The package does seem expensive relative to Costco's own pricing for the components. The 2 vari-focal cameras can be bought for $250 each and the 6 other cameras can be had at $150 each (purchased in pairs of twos). Add that up and you get 2*250+6*150=$1400. That leaves $1100 for the NVR (with 16-port POE) and 3 TB drive, which seems like a lot.

If you want a package the Lorex offering seems like a much better deal for $999 if you don't need more than 8 cameras.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-Real-Time-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048576.html

If you are like the previous poster (and myself) and don't want to commit to the Swann/Lorex NVRs you can just buy the cameras and then use a PC (my choice) or a third party NVR. I do think Swann 2-pack 1080p for $300 (same cameras as in the packages) is a very good value.

Two of those cameras are better version though, Lens: 2.8 – 12 mm, Viewing Angle: 90° - 30.5°. 0.07lux@F1.2

What is the equivalent Hikvision model #?

Two of those cameras are better version though, Lens: 2.8 – 12 mm, Viewing Angle: 90° - 30.5°. 0.07lux@F1.2

What is the equivalent Hikvision model #?

I'm pretty sure the two better cameras (with 2.8-12mm lens) are the same as what is Costco is selling for $249 each which I factored into the analysis above. Here is a link:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-1080p-HD-IP-Vari-Focal-Bullet-Camera.product.100070294.html

Not sure about the equivalent Hikvision model.

I found the last one, now someone else has to find the Hikvision equivalent. Hint is that you'll never find it in the Hikvision.com website. I wonder if it has motorized focal length and focus like the other Hikvision bullets. Also wonder if it has audio and alarm i/o.

I couldn't help notice on Costco's web site the 8 channel system for $999.00 is very affordable in comparison to this 16 channel system. My issue is I already purchased the Qsee 4 channel system from Costco when it first became available and now I am stuck with a 4 channel 4 camera system that cannot be easily expanded. I felt if I raised my expectations to 16 channel I would have a system that I could grow into not out of so quickly, especially since the best affordable camera will at best give you 90 degrees coverage.

Always Appreciate the Great Feedback.

Chucky

No one has posted much of anything in the way of backup footage from these swann systems. 1080p is great, but how does it look crunched down to H.264. Also it would be nice to see a demo of the smart phone app and how it works.

I have a windows phone, so it's never a given any phone app would work.

I've never seen a demo on the remote software or even the web client for these things. It would be nice to see that, as that is every day life when viewing these things.

And can an alarm out be manually triggered for say, a siren? Also it's not clear to me how a ptz is implemented in nvr's. Can any IP ptz be hooked up via the on board poe for picture, powered separately of course, and then typical 485 com line run from the nvr to the camera?

I can hook you up. If you want to PM me I will try to let you into my little system. I have 3 cams installed and hopefully a 4th today. I would probably learn more about my system and settings from you, than you are going to learn from me.

The NVR is a nice little box (except for the fan as noted) but I really find the software annoying. I mostly use it via IE9. It is laggy when logging in from the web and I am working on solutions for that, but you can see whatever you want if you're patient. My home upload speed runs around 2.7 mbps, and maybe that's the best I can expect?

Can't help you with the Windows phone, but the iPhone app works great... now... after considerable mucking about. Viewing the cameras as substream works out way better on the phone app. It's also confusing that they have several different apps for mobiles, even for iOS, and I finally found one that worked. In the home network, the iPad is beautiful.

Yes, the alarm inputs can be configured to trip alarm outputs. You could then use a relay to fire a siren or whatever.

PTZ remains an undocumented mystery, but it's all over the place in the apps and web client. I am patiently waiting.

Seriously, if you want to muck about with it, I would like to get your opinion on things.

PS: Hurray, I got camera 4 up. It's my best one yet. It was also a case of 60 ft cable being too short; the 100 feet would have made all the difference. I had to put an inline coupler and a 25 ft. extension. For $200 more and 2 cams less than the Lorex package, it would have been a small premium...

Also, if you want to know a little more about the iPhone app... it works well enough that I have used it to set my camera angles, while balancing on the ladder, in real time.

These cameras are really good in the day, and decent at night. I will have to mess with the night opportunities more but the gain is very noisy.

No one has posted much of anything in the way of backup footage from these swann systems. 1080p is great, but how does it look crunched down to H.264.

You're confusing encoding with resolution there.

The backup video is still at 1080p, exactly the same as you would see playing back from the recorder in full screen. Video container is MP4, so easily transportable to PC.

Look around on the forum, a few of the guys put up some videos on Youtube displaying the cameras. Don't forget to play them back in 1080p.

Swann Tech

Can you share more details on this Swann 16 channel system possibly in comparison to the 8 channel Swann system that is currently on sale at Costco for $999.00?

Thank You

Chucky

I guess this unit is only available for purchase through Costco? Not available on Swann's web site..... I could not find a Swann 16 channel NVR on the web.......

Thanks

Chucky

Swann Tech

Can you share more details on this Swann 16 channel system possibly in comparison to the 8 channel Swann system that is currently on sale at Costco for $999.00?

Thank You

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

The 8ch system is no longer on sale.

The 16 channel system is aimed more at a small/medium business environment rather than a home/small business environment.

What would set this apart from the 8ch system is the ability to install 8 HDDs into this 16 channel system.

The 5.25" bay is not really intended to be used, since 2.5" portable HDDs are inexpensive and hold a lot more footage.

The processing power to handle 16 channels is substantially higher than one might expect, which contributes to the higher price of the 16 channel unit.

Swann Tech

I appreciate the clarification:

Is there a reason I caanot find this 16 channel system on Swann's web site? Only Costco...

Thank you

Chucky

Swann Tech

If I purchase this uplevel Swann 16 channel NVR system and it is only being marketed through Costco. How are updates and specific information going to be provided in the future since this model is currently not on Swann's web site. Central location for firmware updates, user manual, specifications, replacement parts?

Thank You

Chucky

It's been a concern with people that have Swann or Lorex products and not been able to get firmware updates as quickly as people with Hikvision cameras. Some of then even installed Hikvision firmware but that may invalidate your Swann warranty and the issue was it was not possible to go back to Swann firmware.

It's been a concern with people that have Swann or Lorex products and not been able to get firmware updates as quickly as people with Hikvision cameras. Some of then even installed Hikvision firmware but that may invalidate your Swann warranty and the issue was it was not possible to go back to Swann firmware.

There have been two firmware releases for the swann NVR-7200 since release.

Just get the Hikvision 16 channel NVR, pretty cheap, under $400 shipped.

I really want to do that by the concerns I have are warranty, and the cameras currently have the weekday in chinese thing

That nvr is the 7700 that i posted above correct?

So I went ahead and picked this up along with one vairfocal dome. I want all domes to be honest so im going to test this varifocal and order the ones I need and sell off what I don't need

Its worth noting that I have been unable to find an hikvision 7716 series with 16 ports only 8. Its also worth noting the swann model number is NVR16-7200

My experience with swann has been outstanding, and Sure I can probably source this from OEM cheaper. but the support I have received has been more than worth it.

Now I sound like a shill for swann. LOL

I do not think this 16 Channel NVR that Costco is selling is the 7200 series. Where are you getting this information? The 7200 series supports up to 4TB SATA HD (sounds like a quantity of two 2 tb drives). This one that I am asking questions about accordint to Swann Tech is aimed more at a small/medium business environment rather than a home/small business environment.

What would set this apart from the 8ch system is the ability to install 8 HDDs into this 16 channel system.

The 5.25" bay is not really intended to be used, since 2.5" portable HDDs are inexpensive and hold a lot more footage.

The processing power to handle 16 channels is substantially higher than one might expect, which contributes to the higher price of the 16 channel unit. The specs on Costco web site does not math a 7200 series. This is the reason I do not think it is on Swann's web site.

Thank You

Chucky