chucky

Costco Swann 16 Channel HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD

These cams have a smaller horizontal FOV on 3MP than 2MP, as well as a 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the 9:16 aspect ratio of the 2MP, so if you had a need for either of those, the 3MP would be useful. If you want the HD aspect ratio or the wider view, 2MP is better.

Is it true that 3MP is showing less than 2MP, and not the other way around?

I would think that the 3MP image extends the vertical FOV, not shrink the horizontal FOV... Or is it a mixture -- it both shrinks the horizontal FOV and increases the vertical FOV?

So I am about to order this from Costco, but I want three indoor dome cameras. One of which needs to cover a good chunk of a 34'x34' room with a 17' ceiling.

Should I get Swann? I would have to get them somewhere else.

What type should I get for the big room, wide angle, PTZ?

These cams have a smaller horizontal FOV on 3MP than 2MP, as well as a 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the 9:16 aspect ratio of the 2MP, so if you had a need for either of those, the 3MP would be useful. If you want the HD aspect ratio or the wider view, 2MP is better.

I remember when you did that investigation. The question is, if you kick it back to 2MP do you get the FOV back, one these newer cameras?

Hey Jim,

The 16ch NVR is a 2U device which allows for the extra space for 8 HDDs.

There is suggestions though that the 16ch will be changed to a 1.5U device. That would cut available space to 4 HDDs.

3MP recording is @ 15fps. I'm not sure I see the benefit of 3MP over 1080P apart from bragging rights.

I hope the reduction happens!. I got rid of the 8 port I had for the 16 port. And its great. Swann is great I love it. And I could flash the cameras to get 3mp out of my kit.

For all that are interested, the reduced size 16ch is landing on the 15th. Will be a little while before it's listed though.

Hits costco on the 15th...or becomes a swann product on the 15th? 15th of the month or next month? Is it loud as hell like the 8 channel. The 16 is pretty quiet!

so....this should be it.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9267

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013110703094211054.pdf

Hikvision list it as 80Mbps in but the current 16 channel is like 130Mbps or something along those lines. Do you know what the max input of the new 16 channel will be?

I remember when you did that investigation. The question is, if you kick it back to 2MP do you get the FOV back, one these newer cameras?

I would expect so, but you never know for sure with cams today until you try it!

Here are some comparison shots, for those who are new to the Hik's strange handling of this:

viewtopic.php?p=224748#p224748

Is it true that 3MP is showing less than 2MP, and not the other way around?

I would think that the 3MP image extends the vertical FOV, not shrink the horizontal FOV... Or is it a mixture -- it both shrinks the horizontal FOV and increases the vertical FOV?

Yes it's a mixture. Here is one of mine on 1080 vs 3mp

235557_1.png

3MP

235557_1.jpg

My quick look.. says that there's more vertical difference (change) than horizontal. But that's just my view.

Here's the simple, real-world rollup on what the specs say versus what the cameras give. This is comparing the Dahua 3300C, which appears to have pixel-to-pixel sampling for both 2 and 3MP, with the Hik, which upsamples or downsamples one or the other.

Hik 3MP going from 1080p (1920 x 1080) to 3MP (2048 x 1536):

7% increase in horizontal pixels, 20% decrease in field of view

42% increase in vertical pixels, 18% increase in vertical field of view.

Dahua 3MP going from 1080p (1920 x 1080) to 3MP (2048 x 1536):

7% increase in horizontal pixels, 7% increase in field of view

42% increase in vertical pixels, 42% increase in vertical field of view.

It really boils down to which field of view does the job you need it to do.

Here's the simple, real-world rollup on what the specs say versus what the cameras give. This is comparing the Dahua 3300C, which appears to have pixel-to-pixel sampling for both 2 and 3MP, with the Hik, which upsamples or downsamples one or the other.

Hik 3MP going from 1080p (1920 x 1080) to 3MP (2048 x 1536):

7% increase in horizontal pixels, 20% decrease in field of view

42% increase in vertical pixels, 18% increase in vertical field of view.

Dahua 3MP going from 1080p (1920 x 1080) to 3MP (2048 x 1536):

7% increase in horizontal pixels, 7% increase in field of view

42% increase in vertical pixels, 42% increase in vertical field of view.

It really boils down to which field of view does the job you need it to do.

Thanks for this

Do you guys happen to know the model number equivalent for the swann cameras? The reason why I'm asking is if these cameras support ONVIF or some other IP standard. I want to pull the video stream from the camera into a separate monitor. I tried to call Hikvision but they are a bit useless in that aspect, they kept telling me to call Swann. Swann's tech support number keeps ringing with no answer.

Do you guys happen to know the model number equivalent for the swann cameras? The reason why I'm asking is if these cameras support ONVIF or some other IP standard. I want to pull the video stream from the camera into a separate monitor. I tried to call Hikvision but they are a bit useless in that aspect, they kept telling me to call Swann. Swann's tech support number keeps ringing with no answer.

You might have just been unlucky and called during a maintenance period. Unfortunately sometimes the maintenance cannot have a message placed on it.

We will not provide support to attach the cameras to anything other than a Swann NVR. That's not to say it's not possible, just that we cannot help you with that.

Plenty of people on the boards have reported varying amounts of success using the cameras in different situations. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide assistance.

Thanks for the feedback, I figured there was low chance on that. I guess once they OEM out, they don't bother with support, since the other company will do the support. I already got an answer to my solution in another thread from some guys here.

I just got this system. I need two more cameras. One of which needs to cover a good chunk of a 34'x34' room with a 17' ceiling.

Should I get Swann? I would have to get them somewhere else.

What type should I get for the big room, wide angle, PTZ?

I can't find a Swann ip dome other than the vari focus. What is the model number of one? Is the domes and bullets the same except for the housing?

Can I use Hikvision with this system easily?