CamB

Why Can't Installing High-end Cameras Be as Simple as DropCa

Specific to the networking piece of it. Why do I need to set up port forwarding, mess with firewalls, dhcp, etc...why can't it be as simple as a dropcam?

Might be a dumb question (since I'm not experienced in computer networking), but it's a genuine question.

Even if you take cameras in the "nanny-cam category" such as Foscam and Dropcam...why is dropcam so simple to setup, but foscam so difficult?

With Dropcam, you are not accessing your camera directly. The camera sends video to the cloud and then you access the video in the cloud. So a) they charge you to record, like $100/cam/yr, b) with multiple cameras it bogs down your internet connection. So imagine my costs, for my 6 cameras I use, $600/yr, and my internet connection would be toast, so I may have to spend more to get a faster uplink speed.

So it may make sense to some with 1 or 2 cameras, but not a complete home security solution. As for port forwarding, yes, the router industry as a whole needs to make that process more simple and more consistent so doing it on a dlink, netgear, Linksys router is the same.

Routers have supported upnp for years. If the camera supports upnp then it will set up its own port registration at the router..

However, your home IP address is not a fixed static IP address. Typically it's a dynamic IP address. So you have to register a domain against a service like dynamic-dns and then program all of those settings into the router or camera. You also have to know what ports the camera registered itself to so that your security program (that you are using to monitor from the internet) can find them.

In theory it sounds like it should be "easy" but it's not. Typically simple dynamic-dns on the router combined with static port forwarding is the easiest and most reliable way to get this to work.

As buellwinkle mentions, some of the "super easy consumer happy fun time" cams simply relay all of your data out to the cloud and then when you use a client to monitor you are actually going to this cloud repository to access your data. There are some problems with this approach. For one thing, there's usually a cost involved. Another problem is that the quality of the video is typically slimmed down (a lot) so that the end user's network bandwidth caps, etc, aren't exceeded. You also (in many cases) don't have a physical copy of the recordings locally that you can review at high speed (scrubbing many cams simultaneously).

It's a fine solution for a nanny or pet cam but woefully inadequate for a "real" CCTV setup.

ISPs should provide dyn-dns services for free with all accounts above the barebones level. It would only cost them a few cents per subscriber, give everybody the opportunity to use it, and help lock in the folks that DO us so it might even be a profitable option in the long term.

ISPs for consumers never wanted you to setup a server at home, so not sure that would ever happen. There's still some free DDNS services out there. All you need is one device to keep it updated, be it the router, one camera, or one PC.

Here's a good comprehensive list -

http://dnslookup.me/dynamic-dns/

Hi guys,

It will be soon!

We're trialling a new peer-to-peer networking solution that allows you to log in to your recorder via an account system.

However, unlike the other systems mentioned, the account only provides a hook to hand off the network stream directly to the device you're accessing your DVR from.

It's pretty exciting as it will significantly reduce the basic networking setup calls we get. Will work through NAT without any port forwarding necessary.

It's not ready just yet, but it looks like it will be able to be retrofitted onto older recorders. I don't know how far back we will be able to go, will depend on the upgrade possibilities of each recorder.

That's sounds like a great solution. My daughter has shared internet in her building and can't port forward, so that would be great. Will this work only with the NVR or with the cameras too?

It's not the easiest solution or necessarily free but namecheap.com (domain registrar) gives you free Dynamic DNS with your domain.

It's not the easiest solution or necessarily free but namecheap.com (domain registrar) gives you free Dynamic DNS with your domain.

Sure, but that's not exactly what we're talking about here. We even have one. http://mydvr.swanndvr.com

The OP is also talking about all the local configuration necessary to make a DVR (any server-type device really) accessible from the public internet.

Hi guys,

It will be soon!

We're trialling a new peer-to-peer networking solution that allows you to log in to your recorder via an account system.

I just came across this topic and had a few comments and questions.

This sounds fantastic but what kind of security will it have? Is it just a simple relay of the information or would it be possible for some retention of videos as well? If some company wanted to compete with dropcam they could also offer some kind of cloud service and the ability to choose which cameras are cloud enabled from the nvr, compression quality, etc. You also need solid support for android and ios.

I'm new to cctv and just started with a dropcam but like others have mentioned now that I want a full setup its not practical for all the cameras to be uploading all the time. I will still keep 1 around simply for the ease of remote viewing.

Nuuo already does this no port forward setup with their NuuoSolo NVR. (log on through the eznuuo website.)

We have installed a number of these, plug it into the router, no port-forwarding, no cloud storage, no hassle. Hasn't failed to be an easy setup yet.