winterminute

Could use some advice buying an IP camera for front door

Hi!

I’m looking for an IP security cam to mount at my front door. My plan is to mount somewhere around 6’ right next to the door to provide a direct facial shot of everyone who comes to our door. I’m thinking audio would actually be useful this scenario. PoE would be nice. Not sure how many megapixels I need. I might need a varifocus camera since it will nearly always include people walking towards or away from the camera. My gut is that PTZ will be overkill and not really used in this situation. Dome camera would be preferred as it creates a cleaner installation. I’m hoping to spend somewhere around $200, but maybe edging up to $300. I’m using BlueIris for the IP Camera management software, if it matters.

So, what would you recommend?

Tall order. First understand that most cameras that have 2-way audio, mean it has ports for 2-way audio and not a mic and speaker. There's another post where someone bought the Swann dome camera at Costco with varifocal lens and he says it has audio in. If it works, it's $250 which is cheap. Then you need a powered mic made for CCTV and $50-80 should get you a nice mic but it needs to be powered, typically with 12V, so consider that.

As for PTZ, for a front door, the one that I like is the Panasonic WV-SW174W, which is limited pan/tilt (no zoom) and 1.3MP, 2-way audio (same as before, does not mean a microphone is built in). I like it because of the shape and the price is reasonable at about $600. A real PTZ would cost a lot more and be a lot bigger.

Thanks for the replies. Let me remove my price target. Given my other requirements, what cameras would your recommend? I've also learned that cameras that support audio generally mean they have a microphone input so I'd still need to buy, power, and wire a microphone. So maybe audio recording isn't a must-have feature either.

Thanks for the replies. Let me remove my price target. Given my other requirements, what cameras would your recommend? I've also learned that cameras that support audio generally mean they have a microphone input so I'd still need to buy, power, and wire a microphone. So maybe audio recording isn't a must-have feature either.

If you want two way audio communication at the door then you need a camera that has an audio input, audio output and you also need to (preferably) find one that has full duplex (not sure how common that is).

As far as installation goes, you will need to wire a microphone to the camera as well as running the low line output for audio out into an amplifier and then to a small speaker.

You will need to choose a camera that has a mobile app or web browser that supports the push to talk or you will have to get a 3rd party surveillance package that supports the feature.

Personally if that's the route you are going, and you don't have a lot of time to fiddle around and play with it (installing it in a basement, etc, and making sure it works the way you want before putting it into its final destination) you might want to hire a professional.

Or, get one of the "door cam" products that does everything in one small battery operated unit for $200-$250.

Thanks for the detailed answer about audio. I don't mind tinkering and working to get it setup, but also don't want something overly complicated. So scratch the requirement for audio and no PTZ. Given the other requirements, what IP cams would you guys recommend?

On the side, I'm going to go research the door cams suggested as well, but I worry they'll be dumbed down, gimmicky, consumer products.

The best value in an outdoor vandal dome is the ACTi D72, $259 and is a 3MP dome, day/night, IR illuminators, 3-axis which is key and their free NVR3 software is very good, service and support is good. I would mount it about 5' from the ground, to the side of the door that has the doorbell as that's where the visitor may be looking directly into. I have one coming in later this week or Monday and will start a review on it. My intent is to use it like you, as a front door camera since the one I have is 3 years old and acting up. They are having a sale at wrightwoodsurveillance.com on this and the D32 bullet through the end of September, so the price is good.

I would get one of thesehttp://www.axis.com/products/p12_series/ and drill it into the door around 5 foot high, most people walking towards your door look down, the best door camera's is one they don't know is there...

hopefully if need IR the Strip lighting I'm going to test will work!

The best value in an outdoor vandal dome is the ACTi D72, $259 and is a 3MP dome, day/night, IR illuminators, 3-axis which is key and their free NVR3 software is very good, service and support is good. I would mount it about 5' from the ground, to the side of the door that has the doorbell as that's where the visitor may be looking directly into. I have one coming in later this week or Monday and will start a review on it. My intent is to use it like you, as a front door camera since the one I have is 3 years old and acting up. They are having a sale at wrightwoodsurveillance.com on this and the D32 bullet through the end of September, so the price is good.

Mr. winkle

do those have a wide viewing angel ? how would it compare to the hikvisoon dome with 2.8 lens?

Mr. winkle

do those have a wide viewing angel ? how would it compare to the hikvisoon dome with 2.8 lens?

+1 ... I would like to know this answer as well... I'm in the process of purchasing 4 Hikvision domes...

The spec shows it as 83 degrees. Whether that's more accurate than the Dahua and Hik specs is hard to say without testing it, but I'd trust ACTi more for having good specs.

http://www.acti.com/download_file/Product/datasheet/Datasheet_D72.pdf

I measured my Hik bullet with a 4mm lens, and got these FOV numbers:

1080p: 68 degrees

3MP: 62 degrees

Spec is 76 degrees, but they don't say which resolution it's for

My Dahua 2100 with a 3.6mm lens:

720p and 1.3MP: 63 degrees

Spec is 70 degrees