Alan2000

Advice needed on camera placement. This okay?

I picked up the Costco Lorex NVR with 6 1080p cameras and I'm adding 2 more varifocal cameras. This is where I was planning to put them. I was also wondering if maybe I should point cameras 6 and 7 in the opposite direction so they are pointed at each other and move them out a few feet away from each other. But maybe that would mess up the image at night with the IR pointed at each other. Camera #2 I plan to zoom in and use mainly to capture details on the vehicles that pull into the cul-de-sac.

I also have a 4 CH D1 DVR and 4 cameras I will probably hook up. Might put 1 camera in the house and the other 3 outside. Then again, maybe overkill?

house_1.thumb.jpg.6a8b7796bcecffff49012243c619480b.jpg

home.jpg.b4d61b082045619a846cd7a683c603d7.jpg

What is your objective?

Money is always a restriction and seeing everything everywhere in the utmost detail is an illusion. I would go for two things:

See what is going on and getting the idea of which perpetrator did what. That can with very little detail and a very wide angle lens and even with a cheap camera. Just where did they go and which punk did ... and who of them was standing watch?

Separately get a detailed image of what the face of the intruder looks like, what he wears, what he holds in his hand. Very zoomed in with high resolution high quality camera.

Let me know your thoughts and how it changes your setup.

Hi Robin. That is what I am trying to do. I figure anyone who will break into a house will usually first go to the front door to knock and see if anyone is home. So Cam1 will get a close up mug shot of the face. I was thinking of putting the 2 varifocal cams in positions 2 and 4. #2 would be zoomed in to max and will capture detail of any cars pulling in and out of the cul-de-sac. It should be able to capture the license plate during the day. (There have been a number of break ins very close to us and all have been in the day time.) #4 I would zoom out for a perspective view out front.

I'm a newb at this stuff so if I could do something better let me know.

Luckyfella - I originally had my old system out near the corners. But the resolution was so poor beyond about 15' or so that I thought maybe it was better to have both cams in the center so each is only working 1/2 the distance but at the cost of a blind spot in the center. The new 1080p cams have much better resolution but still not good enough to probably recognize someone at the opposite corner of the house. Revised pic below.

With so many cams around I'm hoping a burglar will just keep on walking by! At fist we thought to try to hide the cameras as much as possible. Now I think if they can be seen it may be better. Don't know really.

house2_1.thumb.jpg.5667fc6f888c5ffb751d1e78cbf09f34.jpg

Alan, why not put 6 to the right of 7 and seven to the left of six with the rear door in between them? Maybe have them a few feet to either side of the door. That way the rear door is covered well and there is little deadspot directly out from the door.

Alan, why not put 6 to the right of 7 and seven to the left of six with the rear door in between them? Maybe have them a few feet to either side of the door. That way the rear door is covered well and there is little deadspot directly out from the door.

I just noticed our rear sliding door is not in the center so I moved it...

Thought about pointing cams at each other but wondered if the IR beams pointing toward each other may cause a problem with the cams at night, causing each other to dim. For the most complete coverage I calculated each cam would need to be about 18' from edge pointing at each other. Thats places them spaced 14' from each other. (House is 50' wide.) That has each cam covering a distance of 32' which I don't know if that is pretty good distance for a 1080p camera or not. I'm probably being way more anal than I need to be about this.

Maybe best to just put them on the far edges pointing at each other and each cam will be covering mainly the window/sliding door near them. Probably not much value for the windows 50' away, specially at night.

house4_1.thumb.jpg.4e58543bb8a91c2396b4a8d593b1fcc6.jpg

When you criss cross them, don't focus each one to the far points. Do what you were doing when they were centered. Use them

to view the shorter distance and cut the yard in half.