Jasper

LinkSys WRT54G Router Setup - Can't Access Internet - Flakey

Set your MTU at 1400 and see if it stops flaking. If it does you can increase it slowly, mine likes 1492 flakes at 1500. I think this is totally an ISP issue, it only has ever effected my DSL accounts, never a cable.

Most DSL uses PPPOE and the maximum MTU has to be 1492 as PPPOE appends 8 bytes to the message. You may also want to try allowing fragmented packets thru if the Linksys allows them.

Rene

It has been working a couple days now, no problem yet.

From what I have Googled on the net this router seems to be a hit or miss proposition when it comes to it working or not. Fragmented packets, I will have to check and see if I have that adjustment.

At the very least I will become more familar with the settings of the router.

I disconnected and removed the router early this morning and so far so good.

Even the CenterV2 application of Geo has been working today so far, whereas with the router in place it would only work for less than a half hour.

I have ready many bad things about this router. So even if I send it back I will be lucky if I get one that doesn't have the same problem.

Yeah, the newest firmware for this linksys router has most the problems. Try to use other brands, I personally like Belkin. (used to use only Netgear - but the new ones were designed like people from out of this world, especially the software)

I have always had good luck with LinkSys also until I bought this model.

Haven't had an issue since the router has been removed.

Not sure what the "Bridged" setting in the modem. I have not checked it yet. What is that supposed to do for me?

A "bridge" is a device that connects two networks and just does NAT. (Network Address Translation) Usually that means it's smarter then a huh, and a bit dumber then a router.