ctbaker

Can't directly connect to Hikvision cameras connected to NVR

Hi,

I am just beginning to play around with a Hikvision setup. I am running one of the 3mp Hikvision bullets connected to a Hikvision NVR. The NVR auto-detects the camera and I can connect to the NVR from my main home computer (on the same network) but I cannot connect via web browser to the camera that is plugged in to the NVR. It looks like I get a lot more camera setting adjustments if I can connect to the camera directly.

I am running on a 192.168.1.x LAN IP block. The NVR configures itself when I check for it to use the router's DHCP server and assigns an IP address to the camera but I can't ping the camera IP address. Also, if I try to ping the IP address of where the camera is supposedly at I get "Destination host unreachable"

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I installed and ran the Hikvision SADP software and it only sees the NVR. Does this mean that the only way to connect directly to the cameras is to use a POE injector so I can power the camera outside of the NVR? If I did that, can I make all the camera specific adjustments and then hook it back into the NVR? Not elegant but it is doable I suppose.

Thanks!

Chad

Edited by Guest

Hi. if you run camera into switch first them manual set in NVR then you will have both options.

this is the problem with using built in POE ports

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can I use any switch for this or must I use a POE switch since the cameras need POE? I have a spare TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Standard Switch laying around but it is not POE.

You are describing something like this?

CAMERA -> SWITCH -> NVR BUILT IN POE SWITCH

If I would need a separate POE switch, could I use a power injector to take each camera out of the NVR setup, do all the camera specific configurations and then hook it back to the NVR? The reason I ask this is that I am thinking that once I get the camera set up, I shouldn't need to get back into it's settings again or at least not very often. Buying a 8-port POE switch is expensive.

Thanks,

Chad

I would go .....camera then switch and NVR to switch . Leave out built in ports all together.

Yes you can just temp connect cameras for doing camera adjustment and then reconnect to built in ports ....... But why limit yourself.

Since you want to make use of the built-in PoE switch, connect your computer/laptop to one of the Built-in port, configure your computer's network setting to match that of the Built-in switch, then you can access and config all your cameras without unplugging and re-plugging all those cameras in.

SADP will also show all cameras through this setup.

So:

Laptop's Lan port --> NVR built-in port

Cameras -> NVR built-in port

Set laptop's address to match your NVR's built-in NIC's address and gateway.

Remember to set it back to DHCP on your laptop afterwards or you won't get internet.

Am having a serious problem. Can I actually connect my ip cameras directly to a network switch then run it(the switch) to the NVR?

If yes, how do I call the cameras up on the NVR?

Secondly, I don't know how weird this is. My hikvision is 16 channel but only 8 physical RJ45 ports are available. In the camera setup the remaining 8 are inactive so I supposed those are to be added via a network switch?

Am having a serious problem. Can I actually connect my ip cameras directly to a network switch then run it(the switch) to the NVR?

If yes, how do I call the cameras up on the NVR?

You can connect your cameras to a POE switch or a switch without POE but you would need a secondary source of power for the cameras. After that's done, you can go to the NVR and do a "Device Search", at least that's how it works on my Q-See. After the search detects the cameras, I can then add them to the NVR.

I'm not sure what the Hikvision interface looks like.

Secondly, I don't know how weird this is. My hikvision is 16 channel but only 8 physical RJ45 ports are available. In the camera setup the remaining 8 are inactive so I supposed those are to be added via a network switch?

My Hikvision is an 8 Channel NVR but it only has 4 RJ45 ports on the back. The other 4 channels can be added remotely (local network or WAN). So, that will mean that you can physically attach 8 POE cameras and 8 remote cameras. What's the model number of the NVR?

I had a similar problem with hikvision. Try this:

1. Connect the cameras to the NVR, non LAN ports,

2. Connect NVR LAN port to your router, non-LAN port,

3. Turn on Upnp on the NVR, reboot NVR,

4. Turn on Upnp in your router,

5. Use your web browser and go to the IP of the NVR

6. Modify the NVR ip by adding :81, so the address looks something like 192.168.1.170:81

7. You should get the login screen from the NVR

Did it work?

Hello, My hikvision is 8 channel but only 4 physical RJ45 ports are available. In the camera setup the remaining 4 are inactive so I supposed those are to be added via a network switch?

10 minutes ago, Jackson89 said:
Hello, My hikvision is 8 channel but only 4 physical RJ45 ports are available. In the camera setup the remaining 4 are inactive so I supposed those are to be added via a network switch?

Hi …. This means you only have a 4way nvr not an 8 way

Chad, that's how my set-up is CAMERAS > NVR and everything is Hikvision. I used to have CAMERAS > SWITCH >NVR and also the NVR into a PC where I controlled everything with IVMS-4200 but I decided to simplify. Now I just control everything through the NVR and have my NVR plugged into my network. I can access the cameras through the web gui or NVR if i need to.

If you're sure your cameras have the power they need then it's usually an IP thing which is why you keep a switch around and the SADP tool to set the IP on the cameras. The thing that had me stuck for a bit was that the subnet mask for my cameras was different than the NVR. I had been trying to set the cameras to the same NVR subnet but no joy. Luckily i had 1 camera connect via PlugnPlay so I just modified the other cameras IP as 1 offs from it and it all worked.