rbnjr

greetings from mukilteo wa

I am setting up a cctv system using a wired system with rg6 Siamese wire and compression connections.

i wish to view the cameras remotely using my smart phone and any computer with a internet connection.

those are my goals and its my hope to make it happen. i use a stand alone dvr with a internet connection, i have access to my router using the ip address, i navigate to the port forwarding screens and have tried many ports to attempt this. i can access the dvr via its ip address, i have setup a dyndns account to have a host name. this process just gets more convoluted to me and i get confused by the logic of it. i have loaded the viewer software to see the cams on the macbook pro at home. if i am needing anything i will be happy to get it. if their is a way to automate this process please tell me as this is getting to be too much.

phew! hope im not the only one stuck.

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure you'll find the help you need here.

If you haven't already, post your issues in the appropriate

area.

Make sure to list the dvr brand and model as well as the router brand and model.

A couple things to be aware of.

The dvr may have 3 or ports that need forwarding. Typically port 80 and then a couple of others.

Depending on the router, you may have to forward each port as TCP and UDP otherwise some routers have a both selection.

Some DVRs say that they can auto setup the port forwarding for you (such as lorex) but I find this to not always work right.

As far as port 80 goes, some cable companies actually block it and you may have to change the web port to something like 85 and the forward that.

For the ddns, after setting up an account, you will also need to set it up in the dvr and register it.

Good luck.

thanks for all the ideas, the dvr is setup for dyndns. the manual says port 80 and 9000 need to be forwarded. no word about a 3rd one.the dvr is model H264- a generic one i guess as the manual does not mention models.

i did paste all the specs for it in another section of the forums. I really would like someone to walk me thru the steps and i can verify all is good. my smartphone is a Samsung galaxy S2 that has a broadband g4 connection and a app to view the cameras will be needed as well. basically if my phone will view my cams im done since that is the main reason for getting a smart phone as i see it..i can go on vacation and check out the house.

thanks much!