tdenson

What is difference between a Dahua NVR3204 and 3208

I have a Dahua NVR3208 and am very pleased with it and intend to buy a couple more. However, I am struggling to understand the difference between the different models. Although I only need 4 channels I am happy to pay the extra for the 3208 if I get some additional benefit e.g. performance. Looking at the spec on the Dahua website -

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr3208-8p3216-8p-339.html

It seems that the only difference is the number of panes on the display and number of alarm connections. Is this correct, and if I only want 4 channels there is no benefit at all in using the 3208 ?

The 3204 will record 4 cameras, the 3208 will record 8. Thats the difference. But I think you know that already.

Yes, I do know that. However, the implication in your reply is that the only difference between the two models is firmware - is this the case, because this was really my question ? If this is the case I don't understand the difference in hardware cost.

Hi. the thing to look for is lettering after model number.

between your link and the model number ....... 3204 (which is old) and does not have POE.

your link is the new 3208p which has POE

Hi. the thing to look for is lettering after model number.

between your link and the model number ....... 3204 (which is old) and does not have POE.

your link is the new 3208p which has POE

Perhaps I confused you by not being specific about the suffix P. Re the following Dahua link -

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr320432083216-p-190.html

My question remains the same - is the only significant difference between the 3204P and the 3208P in the firmware i.e. is there any advantage at all in specifying the 3208P and only connecting 4 cameras ?

No, the specs are identical, same max frame rate, same hard drive quantity, same look. Just the firmware checks how many cameras you are allowed to have. It's not different firmware, it's something burned into a ROM that determines how many cameras you can use.

No, the specs are identical, same max frame rate, same hard drive quantity, same look. Just the firmware checks how many cameras you are allowed to have. It's not different firmware, it's something burned into a ROM that determines how many cameras you can use.

Ah great thanks, now I understand it, I've got no problem with that

I wonder why they charge more money for just a different firmware? It's the same exact hardware, processor, mother board, network card, etc. They just load in a different software. Software is software. Actually, it makes sense why they charge more money, to make more money! LOL.

Did the OP even ask what the difference between the 3204 and 3204P was? I didn't think he did? Weird?

I wonder why they charge more money for just a different firmware? It's the same exact hardware, processor, mother board, network card, etc. They just load in a different software. Software is software. Actually, it makes sense why they charge more money, to make more money! LOL.

I have a copy of Windows 7 on the computer I am using right now. And then I have another one on my laptop, and another one on my office computer. Why did I have to pay for the three of them? They are the same "bytes", and actually, when I am using one computer I am not using the others. And hey, software is software!

It's called licenses, you are not just buying hardware, but also software.

Did the OP even ask what the difference between the 3204 and 3204P was? I didn't think he did? Weird?

I fully knew what the difference was between a 3204 and a 3204P (PoE) but I was just a bit sloppy with my terminology. I don't know why this is weird.

I have a copy of Windows 7 on the computer I am using right now. And then I have another one on my laptop, and another one on my office computer. Why did I have to pay for the three of them? They are the same "bytes", and actually, when I am using one computer I am not using the others. And hey, software is software!

It's called licenses, you are not just buying hardware, but also software.

This is not a good comparison. All of your laptops have the same software. No one is saying why do we have to pay for the software over and over for each NVR. I'm just asking if it's just software, why is each one more money? Obviously, the manufacturer wants to make as much as possible, but does the software that shows 4 channels cost them more money

than the software that shows 8 cameras?

I fully knew what the difference was between a 3204 and a 3204P (PoE) but I was just a bit sloppy with my terminology. I don't know why this is weird.

I thought it was weird that Tomcctv explained to you the difference between the 3204 and 3204P since the you didn't even

ask what the difference was.

I thought it was weird that Tomcctv explained to you the difference between the 3204 and 3204P since the you didn't even

ask what the difference was.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

This is not a good comparison. All of your laptops have the same software. No one is saying why do we have to pay for the software over and over for each NVR. I'm just asking if it's just software, why is each one more money? Obviously, the manufacturer wants to make as much as possible, but does the software that shows 4 channels cost them more money

You are paying a license to use 8 cameras instead of 4 cameras. Does it cost them more? No.

Does it cost Microsoft more if I install just one copy of Windows on 3 different computers? No. Do I do it? No, I have a license on each computer, the same way that you need a license for each camera you are going to use.

You are paying a license to use 8 cameras instead of 4 cameras. Does it cost them more? No.

Does it cost Microsoft more if I install just one copy of Windows on 3 different computers? No. Do I do it? No, I have a license on each computer, the same way that you need a license for each camera you are going to use.

However, it would be a lot more transparent if Dahua sold a single model of NVR and charged separately for the software so it was clear what you were paying for - and also allowed one to buy an NVR3204 and upgrade it to a 3208 by buying a firmware license upgrade.

I was simply saying that your comparison was not the same. You said that you pay for a windows 7 copy for each of your laptops. No one was asking why do we continue to pay for the software for every NVR we buy, so I don't know why you even mentioned that. I was asking if the software for the 4 camera nvr cost more,less, or the same as the software for the 8 channel NVR. And if it costs the same, why are they charging more for different NVR's? Tdenson has a good point, if it's just software or firmware, why can't we buy a 4 channel NVR, and if we add cameras later on, why can't we upgrade the firmware on our current machine to 8 channels, but at a price? I'm thinking it's cause they want to bleed our wallets dry, no? LOL.