Sign in to follow this  
epicstruggle

CPcam's CPD507 or alternative??

Hello, my first post here, but i have been lurking for a while. I think i finally found the dvr for my motel: CPcam's CPD507

Im looking for the following in a security system:

+capable of 9-14 cameras

+Great recording quality in the office cam, rest can be ok quality

+some internet capability, although not required

+the dvr itself shouldnt cost more than $2k or so dollars, [although willing to spend more if the dvr is worth it.]

Does anyone have any input to provide with this perticular dvr? Is there something better out there in my price range? Also, im not sure when companies release their new models, so if you think that waiting for the next years model might be worth it, please let me know.

thanks in advance for your input,

kirit

ps Im only purchasing the dvr, i have an installer who will do the hooking up for me. He likes the gen4 (?) dvr's, but he is still new to the whole dvr thing.

Do you want a standalone unit for that budget or do you have a computer that can be dedicated for a security system?

If you have a computer you’re not using that much you can use that as the DVR and get better equipment for the rest of your system.

Do you want a standalone unit for that budget
the dvr unit for around 2 or so thousand dollars. The cameras, wires, and installation cost will be separate from that amount.
or do you have a computer that can be dedicated for a security system?
I dont need much encouragement to buy another computer. lol. i was under the impression that standalone dvrs were better than computer based add in card dvr system. Sorry noob here.

If you have a computer you’re not using that much you can use that as the DVR and get better equipment for the rest of your system.

What would you recommend? As listed above, i just want great recording quality (D1, if i have my terms correct), 1 audio channel for the office, and up to 16 camera capable.

thanks mate for your responce.

kirit

Well actually PC based DVR’s are much more flexible, but a stand alone isn’t necessarily bad.

You will get the best quality with a PC based system. You might want to check out the GeoVision home page for information on their DVR cards.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/index.asp

There a quite a few DVR cards available, but Geo seems to be the most popular.

If you want just great recording quality, then you should get a DVR with MJPEG or Wavelet compression rather than MPEG4. MPEG4 is good due to small image file size which is preferred for network transmission. Also, MPEG4 also allows you to record more video on the HDD compared to MJPEG or Wavelet but you are sacrificing resolution in return.

If you are planning on using the network feature extensively, then I would recommend an MPEG4 machine. If you are just going to use it every now and then for simple "check ups", then MJPEG or Wavelet machine should do the job at a lesser price.

In terms of Stand Alone (Embedded) vs. PC, it's all based on personal preference. Some people like cold pizzas and some like it hot, but they're both good either way...

I personally tried this DVR myself.

Anyone with experience with other CPCam/AVTech (Same manufacturer, market under different brandname) will find this new product similar to their other products such as AVC777, etc.

Enhancement over their older products,

1. Triplex (Their older product all simplex)

2. USB Backup.

3. Remote Controller.

4. 400FPS display (Their previous one was a sucky 60FPS display)

5. 400FPS recording at LOWEST resolution. (Better than nothing, their older one record at 18FPS.

6. Web base remote monitoring vie JAVA applet.

7. Downloadable software to run.

8. Support Java enabled phone to do monitoring vie 3G/GPRS.

But please note that if NETWORK feature is IMPORTANT to you, you might want to consider other model.

The AVTech/CPCam network feature sucks big time.

They basically just take a video webserver connect it to the output of the DVR video out, and embedded it into the system, and then hook on the feedback from the remote client to the dvr control.

This mean that whatever the remote user press on the remote client, he'll be virtually pressing on the dvr itself.

This mean that if there is a user sitting in front of the DVR, and then another user viewing through the remote client, the remote user press channel 1, BOTH the DVR monitor and the remote client will switch to channel 1 only. If there's 2 remote user, both want to see different channel, they'll be fighting over for the channel. This is ridiculas for a professional DVR design. This also happens for ALL avtech/cpcam dvr's network feature.

But all u need is a simple network feature, this would be ok if you are the only user that need to view occassionally vie remote client.

And lastly, it suppose to use MPEG4 compression.

note: all fps quoted in PAL since i am using PAL.

[edit by mod - only retail end user pricing please]

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone. I still havent made up my mind on what i should do. Go DVR or pc based. Lol, decisions, decisions. Anyone else want to throw out their recomendations given the posts made above requirements?

There is one thing that I can tell you, their cameras are real good for their price. It is true about the DVR, but they are fixing that and it should be addressed by the beginning of next year. I distribute their products here in the US and Latin America, and honestly, I have had a few problems with the DVR's themselves, in term of remote playback and no POS support, but their cameras cannot be beaten for the price that they go for.

There is one thing that I can tell you, their cameras are real good for their price. It is true about the DVR, but they are fixing that and it should be addressed by the beginning of next year. I distribute their products here in the US and Latin America, and honestly, I have had a few problems with the DVR's themselves, in term of remote playback and no POS support, but their cameras cannot be beaten for the price that they go for.

Is that something that will be fixed in their drivers or by releasing new hardware? Im now at the point of tearing whats left of my hair. lol, cant decide whether to go with this dvr or go with a pc based system.

Nope. IMHO, it can't be fixed by newer firmware or upgrading the hardware.

They'll need to totally redesign their system.

Basically, they sell non network DVR and video web server.

So they combine both together to give you a network DVR.

What they do is essentially attached the video web server to the video output of the DVR and stream the video output over the web. And then they hook on the feedback from the remote client back to the buttons of the DVR to enable user to choose channels.

By this design, unless they redesign the system, there is no way different user can see different things at the same time.

well... just think differently

if you are viewing on the actual DVR and "if" someone you don't know is accessing your DVR remotely from the internet, and you will know, coz if he changes the channel or alter the setting, you will see it before your eyes...

Haa..

Most DVR would have Log to show you the connection.

Anyway, if it happens on a halloween nite, you might think it is something else.