Jasper

Sensor with Dog Whistle – Keep Off Carpet

Anybody heard of any beams or other type of proximity device that are available to detect a small dog or cat and send them scattering?.

Specifically anything that could trigger a silent whistle that would not bother a human, but would encourage the animal not to go any further. Like into a room and wet on the carpet.

ive used something that you place out in your yard that detects noise (such as a dog barking) and then sets off a loud dog whistle that only dogs can hear .. but trust me if you test it out in normal mode (non dog wavelength) it dang hurts your ears .. i threw it out as it never worked anyway ..

The product above looked pretty interesting. It has a sensor and emits an annoying whistle when it detects a dog and discourages them from coming into a fairly large area.

I am looking for something that works similar to a beam, rather than passive IR. When testing an IR sensor designed for a human the dog can walk right by it and it does nothing.

I have a small handheld device I bought some years ago that emits a high frequency sound and is used for training dogs. I used it with my dog and when he hears it he freaks out. Stops what he is doing instantly. Tried it with a Pit Bull one time, it just pissed him off.

If they had the same product above and used beams, that would work great. I want to prevent the dog from going into the family room and living room, so it can’t wet on the carpet. But I don’t want the dog to freak out every time it walks by the area without crossing the beam.

As it stands now I have resorted to using a couple of those plastic barricades that are used to prevent small children from walking into an area you don’t want them in.

I would think there would be a product like this out there, but maybe somebody hasn’t invented it yet?

What you need then, is a standard alarm beam, yes it picks up dogs, something like this will do it, dont use the PLUS versions as they are much better for security and generally don't pick up dogs. These T versions pick up birds so they definately pick up dogs and cats.

http://www.optexamerica.com/products/prodpage.cfm?product=ax70t

Or use a standard motion detector, that will pick up anything that comes by.

http://www.rokonet.com/Item.asp?pid=54&plid=2&fmid=25

they are very very cheap and work well.

Tie them into a relay (check rat shack) and find yourself a dog whistle that has alarm inputs and then you are good to go.

Check stuff like this

http://www.familydefense.com/bark-free.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=high+ultrasonic+sound+frequencies&btnG=Search

Rory

Thanks for the info.

Those Optex beams look pretty good. I need to read up on what other types of beams are available that might work out for me.

I guess if I had some beams that even made an audible alert tone, like the ones used in the stores that would probably work. I definitely want beams so it only activates the sound when the dog crosses through the beams.

I like idea of silent so it doesn’t disturb anybody else, but if I could get one that even makes a noise, that probably would work.

I am looking for something simple, like two beams that I can lay on the floor and aim or mount against the wall, if necessary. And all in one unit would be great. But if I have too, I will try and build something from scratch. I just don’t want to have to do that if I can help it.

I will definitely have to go Goggling to find out what is available. I don’t want my dog to ruin my brand new carpets. So I definitely need to do something before he ruins them. I hate to use these baby crib barriers because I have to hurdle them every time I need to go into that area.

I will definitely be looking for a solution.

not neccassarily better as a security product, i've had better luck with the Optex beams .. Optex' specialty is outdoor detectors .. but they cost a "bit" more .. for the most part, we dont want dogs to trip the beams for security purposes ... actually even birds trip the Optex 70T series, i have had a set here for years ,, one thing though, they last.

Rory