Sign in to follow this  
bklynsoulja

Camera works in daytime but video loss in night time?

hello, i been trying to figure out what is the problem with my cameras. Apparently i got two cameras outside that only work in the daytime and not at night. It shows video loss on my screen. The LED still appear red though at night. What strange is i put a flashlight toward the camera at night to remove night vision and video comes on. Any suggestions?

also my power supply spec is

input: 100-240v ~ 50/60hz 0.8A

output: 12v - 2.2A

You will need another power supply. The one you have now is OK during the day when the IRs are off, but it doesn't supply enough A to make the cameras work at night when the leds turn on.

You will need another power supply. The one you have now is OK during the day when the IRs are off, but it doesn't supply enough A to make the cameras work at night when the leds turn on.

can you please tell me what spec power supply i need, like more amp? volt? or i need the same spec but a different power supply?

i found a power adapter laying around my house that have the specs of

input: 100-240v -50/60 Hz, 0.8A

output: 12v - 3A

will this work? or will it mess up my wiring and camera if i use it?

i really appreciate your help.

This one will work. You could also try using the 2.2A power supply for one camera, and the 3A for the other camera. But 3A should be more than enough for powering both cameras.

This one will work. You could also try using the 2.2A power supply for one camera, and the 3A for the other camera. But 3A should be more than enough for powering both cameras.

ok wil update when it gets dark around here, sorry but i also forgot to say that originally both cameras was being supplied separately with their own power supply of 2.2A(each camera got their own power supply). I will now try to use a 3A to power one camera and hope. will update later thank you.

The other thing that might be causing your problem is too small a wire gauge in your power cables, especially if they're long runs. If the higher current PS doesn't take care of it, try this.

guys i tried a 3A power supply and still the same results. I get video lost. Works only in the daytime but once it hits dark outside it goes to video lost. I do hear the clicking to going to night vision on the camera but i just can't believe i get no picture from it, red light stays on though at night. I am using those BNC wires premade 100ft. there no options as i search through em all. Is it possible i messed the cameras up when i had those 2 cameras hooked up to a 4 way splitter, a total of 4 cameras hooked up to it (2 weak ones that doesn't need much power + the 2 that giving me problems now) to a 1.5A power supply? it was working til it got dark and next thing u know all the cameras on that splitter was giving me a blinking problem which was strange because the 2 weak ones never gave me a issue til i installed the 2 big cameras outside. The 2 big ones the IR red light kept blinking that night til i unplug it and put it on the 2.2A power supply. Than again the 2 weak cameras went back to normal after i unplug and plug everything back in so i don't know if there anymore i can do. what you guys think? so far those 2 big cameras are my daytime cameras. i am currently using another 100ft bnc wire that works with a smaller camera so im guessing the wires are good.

guys i tried a 3A power supply and still the same results. I get video lost. Works only in the daytime but once it hits dark outside it goes to video lost. I do hear the clicking to going to night vision on the camera but i just can't believe i get no picture from it, red light stays on though at night. I am using those BNC wires premade 100ft. there no options as i search through em all. Is it possible i messed the cameras up when i had those 2 cameras hooked up to a 4 way splitter, a total of 4 cameras hooked up to it (2 weak ones that doesn't need much power + the 2 that giving me problems now) to a 1.5A power supply? it was working til it got dark and next thing u know all the cameras on that splitter was giving me a blinking problem which was strange because the 2 weak ones never gave me a issue til i installed the 2 big cameras outside. The 2 big ones the IR red light kept blinking that night til i unplug it and put it on the 2.2A power supply. Than again the 2 weak cameras went back to normal after i unplug and plug everything back in so i don't know if there anymore i can do. what you guys think? so far those 2 big cameras are my daytime cameras. i am currently using another 100ft bnc wire that works with a smaller camera so im guessing the wires are good.

update: somehow i plugged back the 2a supplies for each one and i get a very faint black and white pic..sometimes it turns to static too what can be the issue?

Here's what I posted in a PM about this:

If the wires are too small and have too much resistance, more current won't help, since it's the higher current to drive the IR that causes the voltage to drop.

If the camera's drawing more current than the PS can provide, then a higher current PS will do the trick.

There are 2 easy tests - one would be to use the 2 supplies, like was mentioned in the post. If one supply driving 2 cams wasn't good enough, then using 2 supplies should take care of it.

The other would be to connect the supply closer to the camera by running an extension cord or whatever, and connecting the supply using a short cable run just for testing.

It's also possible that one of the supplies is going bad - if these are standard wall wart supply modules, they often have quality control problems, but that's easy to test by swapping your two supplies between the cameras.

If the wire turns out to be too small gauge, there's no easy solution to this except for running another alongside it.

If you can get a supply with variable output, you can fix the problem by turning up the voltage at the power supply. This can be a little risky, since this would make your voltage go higher when the LEDs are off. Here's how this works.

If your wires have 1 ohm resistance, your PS is 12V, and the camera draws 1A at night, that would be 12W that the power supply puts out. The 1 ohm resistance would use up 1W, and would also drop the voltage by 1V, so you'd only have 11V at the camera.

If the power drops by half during the day, that's 0.5A and 6W. Now, the wire resistance would use up 1/2W and drop the voltage by 1/2V, so you'd be at 11.5V.

If you turned the voltage up to 13V give you 12V at the camera at night, then in the day it would increase to 12.5V at the camera.

That's probably not enough to cause trouble, but it's good to check it out.

You can test how much drop you get by using a volt meter to measure the actual voltage at the camera during the day and the night.

If you're lucky, the higher current PS will take care of things, and you're good to go. Otherwise, it's either another wire run or an adjustable PS.

Mainly this is due to low light. During daytime there is enough light and you get a good picture quality. One of the best solutions is to change the lens of your CCTV camera. Use an IR corrected objective lens. This will make the night vision clearer.

Any more help needed, please let me know.

Alex,

Poor lighting would still have a good signal, but with no details visible, just a dark image. OP's problem is signal loss - his signal goes away when the IR LEDs come on at night.

sorry for the delay, the problem is the voltage lost due to 100 ft wire. Temporarily hooked up a cat5e and used all 4 twisted pairs for power at a closer location to the camera. I say temporarily as i am waiting for power pigtails to come in so i can solder and shrink wrap the wires before i put it outside. Thanks guys for all the advice. much appreciated.

The key problem is you put the DC12V PSU too far from your cameras.

For the output is only DC12V, if you make the power cable more than 2 meters, the output voltage will be about 9V.

At day time, the IR light don't work. But at night, when the IR light begin to work, it make the input voltage lower than 9V that is the deadline for board camera to work.

No need to any more, just put the DC12V PSU with your camera together. Make the DC12V power cable length less than 0.5 meter, then everything will be OK

Marvin