hdtvjeff

Dahua SD6982A-HN 2MP IP PTZ wiring installation question

Hi,

Just spent around $1,500 for a Dahua SD6982A-HN Outdoor IP PTZ camera.

I'm a bit confused, other Dahua mini dome or bullets were easy, everything went through cat 5 including power.

With this there is RS485, dip switches under the dome, a 24v 3000ma transformer with bare ends.

Do I need RS485?, coming out of the dome there is black, red and green for power but only two bare wires from transformer; how do I connect power?

If anyone is familiar with this camera, help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jeff

That is not a PoE camera, you have to connect the 12V power supply included to the camera to power it and obviously the Ethernet cable. It should work fine that way. I believe the RS485 is for joystick control.

Once it's up and working, if you are familiar with Dahua cameras, then forget what you know. The camera image settings are done via on OSD not via menus and you have to click on a button below the PTZ buttons to engage that. I'm at the ASIS security show this week so don't have access to one here but I'm sure you'll figure it out. That's really a good PTZ camera. Make sure it's level when you mount it and make sure the mount is very securely, once that motors start spinning that volleyball size camera around, you want it secure so it doesn't bounce when it stops panning.

You can run 18/2 wire for the power line. As you have said, the power transformer is 24v, not 12v. Just connect same colors to same colors- the ptz black to the 18/2 wire black and the ptz red to the 18/2 wire red. Then connect the same colors of the 18/2 wire to the same colors on the power adapter wire. The green wire on the ptz is ground. When I installed the analog version of the camera, I didn't use the ground. I just put a wire cap on it. Good or bad, it's made no difference in operation for over a year. Now for the 485, I haven't installed the IP version to actually know. I'm guessing what bullewinkle is referring to is working the camera via it's OSD menu, as opposed to the software ptz controller in either web service or pss. Frankly, if the camera has 485 lines and I was using it via an NVR, I'd probably prefer using that to the 485 hookups on the nvr and use the typical ptz controller in the nvr, web service, or pss.

I just read your informational post Shockwave after I responded to buellwinkle,

I might mention too that on the power adapter wire there is no color, both leads are black, so does polarity on the power supply side matter?

Thank you,

jeff

I just read your informational post Shockwave after I responded to buellwinkle,

I might mention too that on the power adapter wire there is no color, both leads are black, so does polarity on the power supply side matter?

Thank you,

jeff

If the 24v 3000ma transformer is listed as AC then any way you connect it is fine, only DC have to be careful with the + -.

Thank you!!

So, I'm going to take the 2 of the 3 wires wires coming from the camera one of which is Black which is also 24v,and Red which is 24v and connect those to the two back wires on the AC transformer block which has two black wires and just tape or cap off the GREEN (ground) coming from the camera? right?

Lastly is a 150 foot run ok for 18/2 and Cat 5?

Thanks,

Jeff

If the 24v 3000ma transformer is listed as AC then any way you connect it is fine, only DC have to be careful with the + -.

150' for both should be fine. I was gonna mention about the color match not needed with 24v ac, but I always match anyway as a matter of habit. Btw- you're gonna love the camera. I love the 700 tvl analog version- the closest thing to an MP quality picture of any camera I've used. Superb.

Got it up and running, amazing.

I've been using webcams since 1996, serial port devices, usb then IP cameras.

Linksys, Panasonic, but Dahua? the best.

I'm speechless, I thoroughly tested it indoors, works flawlessly. Tomorrow, it carefully gets hung on top of a utility pole. The only two connections being Cat 5 and power.

Simply awesome. I guess future generations will be double the 2MP resolution and double the 20x optical.

Again, simply breathtaking and a big thank you to the great people in this forum who took the time out to help me.

Again, thanks,

Jeff

I did a little vid on putting the beast on a pole. Look for it in my sig link. I ramble a bit about testing it, but it eventually gets installed. LOL! Just be smart about install and it should be painless up there. Good luck. We'll need to see some pics and video samples from that baby!

Btw- are you hooking this up to an nvr, and are you using 485 or is the comm via network cable?