Sign in to follow this  
epcjay

Outdoor Installation Help!!

I started a new business with installing security cameras, and I'm still learning the tricks of the trade. Sorry if I sound like a beginner.

My client is upset with the installation I installed for him and I'm looking for some ideas to solve it.

here's a picture of the install I did. There are 7 around the house with more less similar.

231715_1.png

I used outdoor boxes, then placed the camera on top. The box itself is silver (white was not available) The BNC and the power connect inside as my ends would not fit though the hole (though I could drill it bigger).

He is upset that the box is showing, and wants it more "smoothed transition". He said either drill a hole in the brick, so the box would be inside, or install it on the soffit. Drilling a hole in the brick would be a big job as I may not have all the tools to do that, so I agreed to move 4 cameras into the soffit but the other 3 don't have soffits above other than the 2nd floor. The image would be too small if its on the second floor.

My cameras never came with a matching outdoor box either.

Any ideas would be great.

So far I've thought about spray painting the silver box, or put a piece of white plastic over the silver box to best try and match the camera housing.

I'm surprised your client recommended a large hole to be made to fit the electrical box. I wouldn't want my nice stone/brick damaged to such an extent. In my opinion, the camera should be mounted directly on the wall without the box. You could drill a cavity in the brick/stone just large enough to fit the connectors. Would this be possible in your situation? Ideally the cables coming thru the wall already have the appropriate connectors to allow direct connection to inside the camera, but with some cameras this is not possible. If you really want to keep the box idea, could you not find a different one with a shallower profile so it's not sticking out so much?

In my opinion, I installed it this way because servicing or troubleshooting will be a hell lot easier with an electrical box.

If not, the size of the hole in the joint would be at least the width of the DC and BNC tape together right?

231728_1.jpg

I'm running at CAT6 cable, so I'm using 231728_2.jpg and these 231728_3.jpg

The width of these would be put together will be 1.6 inches minimum. Thats pretty big

Edited by Guest

Have a think about it ........ Why do you need a hole the same size of power and bnc together ?? Why not just the size of bnc.

Cut wires on camera end will void your warranty if you get any problems later.

Your cameras look push on dome cover .....are they outdoor rated

Well, I have to push them together back in the hole right? Or if i ever have to pull them back out?

Supplier said they are ok for outdoor use ...

Well, I have to push them together back in the hole right? Or if i ever have to pull them back out?

best pushing one conector though at a time. so only need hole of the size of BNC which is the biggest.

a supplier will say anything for a sale. but they look like plastic internal push on dome. best check as if are internal the first bit of rain is going to cost.

Ok that ain't good.

Unless one follows a thorough process prior to provisioning a cctv system, you will find that the majority of your expenses will be in returning to a customers site to redo, move, reposition cameras.

Before ever installing a camera, you should make sure that the customer understands and visualizes exactly what he is going to get.

We spend a lot of time on compiling the initial operational requirements - in order that a specific measure is established when performance is disputed. Customers sign off the operational requirements before we compile the technical specifications. The technical specifications flow from the OR and describe the motivations behind the decisions taken, as to transmission media mountings, resolutions, recording, etc. Once again the customer signs this off before we commence with installation.

At this stage we develope a detailed scope of work - which basicly highlights each task to be performed and the materials to be used - once agreement is reached on the scope of work, we commence with installation.

Post installation we go through the hand over process , which is greatly simplified by the presence of the OR, TS and SOW. Usually the handover is just a formality in which the customer signs off each element of the Scope Of Work, and acknowledges that the objective defined in the OR has been met.

While this may seem to be a lot of work, without it - a lot of your companies resources will be spent on modifying installs, before you get paid.

While this may not help you with this particular install, since you mentioned it is your first - you might want to look into similar processes going forward to avoid this kind of thing. In addition, these processes will ensure that you actually do address your customers expectations.

Unless one follows a thorough process prior to provisioning a cctv system, you will find that the majority of your expenses will be in returning to a customers site to redo, move, reposition cameras.

Before ever installing a camera, you should make sure that the customer understands and visualizes exactly what he is going to get.

We spend a lot of time on compiling the initial operational requirements - in order that a specific measure is established when performance is disputed. Customers sign off the operational requirements before we compile the technical specifications. The technical specifications flow from the OR and describe the motivations behind the decisions taken, as to transmission media mountings, resolutions, recording, etc. Once again the customer signs this off before we commence with installation.

At this stage we develope a detailed scope of work - which basicly highlights each task to be performed and the materials to be used - once agreement is reached on the scope of work, we commence with installation.

Post installation we go through the hand over process , which is greatly simplified by the presence of the OR, TS and SOW. Usually the handover is just a formality in which the customer signs off each element of the Scope Of Work, and acknowledges that the objective defined in the OR has been met.

While this may seem to be a lot of work, without it - a lot of your companies resources will be spent on modifying installs, before you get paid.

While this may not help you with this particular install, since you mentioned it is your first - you might want to look into similar processes going forward to avoid this kind of thing. In addition, these processes will ensure that you actually do address your customers expectations.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight. I will take this into future consideration.

I'm running at CAT6 cable, so I'm using 231728_2.jpg and these 231728_3.jpg

The width of these would be put together will be 1.6 inches minimum. Thats pretty big

If you are using Cat6, you should be using video baluns, anb not those BNC connectors. But if the image quality is fine, oh well...

I would be upset too if someone installed me some domes like that, those boxes do look ugly. I would rather have a biger hole (if the BNC can fit, the power connector will do too) and have the connectors inside the house.

Also, I also think that the camera does not seem to be an outdoor rated camera, but the picture is too small to tell for sure.

Can you post the brand of camera and a link to the spec? You can buy round white 5 1/4" waterproof enclosures. Yours looks like its an indoor box.