northerntoys

60ft Video + Power All-in-one Cable for Security Cameras

I'm new to this forum, and have decided to install a basic CCTV system for additional protection...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zmodo-4x600TVL-Outdoor-Complete-CCTV-Security-Camera-System-4CH-Full-D1-DVR-Kit-/261294452028?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3cd65ced3c

What's the best way to drill a hole to fit 4 X 60ft Video + Power All-in-one Cable's

Also if any member close to Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK is available to install my system, Please message your quotes...

How far and through what? All of them going through the same hole? A big spade bit with extension works nicely going through two layers of wood with a big gap in between. Just make sure that you drill a big enough hole the first time. Enlarging them is a LOT harder than drilling them the first time. No place for the pilot point on the fat bit. Depending on how fat your pre-made cables are, I'd say a 1.5" hole wouldn't be too terribly big. Might get by with 1.25". Anything smaller will make fishing the last two cable heads through the hole that's partly filled with cable a nightmare. Seems to me that I drilled a 1 1/8" hole once for 4 cables through 3 layers and it was a major PITA because the last one wouldn't fit.

I've never drilled a big hole through brick, just wood and steel. I'd start looking for a non-brick area if possible. If not, then 4 smaller holes with a masonry bit (in a hammer drill, natch) spaced out a bit to prevent cracking between the holes would be my next choice. Preferably sized for the cable, not the ends, and crimp new ends on after the cable is through. You might want to spend some effort fishing cable in the house and drill each hole near where the camera will be mounted. Also, make sure to drill your holes slanting upwards into the house and install drip loops if needed to keep water out of the home and camera. Google drip loops and look at the pics to see what I mean and to see good and bad examples, plus areas where they aren't needed. For instance, no need for a drip loop on wire running straight up, but never run a wire slanted down into a camera or a home without one.

Yeah it's all brick I've never tried to crimp cable's, That's why I would probably prefer a CCTV installer to fit my system...

But thank you for the great advice

Maybe somebody from the UK (West Yorkshire) Can help?

Do not use that stock cable, seriously. Not only does it make running it through walls way more of a pain, but for all the effort you'll have the stock, crappy cable. Get yourself some bulk RG59 in the color you need. Get a 500' roll so you have extra. But you only need half that you say? Are you sure about that? Most of the time you under estimate what lenght you'll actually need. Bulk 500' is not really that much money. Or if you're really sure each run is 60' or less, buy pre cut to size if you can.

Then you hit ebay and grab twist on connectors in bulk. No need to crimp if you don't want to. Use inexpensive twist on's such as these-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Twist-on-BNC-Male-RG59-Connector-for-CCTV-cameras-/261031894277?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3cc6b69d05#ht_1598wt_813

Then you grab power barrels such as these, cheap again-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pairs-Male-and-Female-2-1x5-5mm-DC-Power-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connector-for-CCTV-/261146308078?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3ccd886dee#ht_1393wt_813

And then you hit youtube and watch how to apply twist on bnc connectors- very easy to do. Then take a 4' piece cable and practice putting on those connections. It is not hard and when you do it, you'll be so glad you did because NOW you can drill MUCH smaller holes no matter what you're drilling through. And that's a good day my friend- And guess what- it's almost a sure thing you'll get a better picture from your hand made cable too.

Make your own cables, please. You'll be glad you did.

Do not use that stock cable, seriously. Not only does it make running it through walls way more of a pain, but for all the effort you'll have the stock, crappy cable. Get yourself some bulk RG59 in the color you need. Get a 500' roll so you have extra. But you only need half that you say? Are you sure about that? Most of the time you under estimate what lenght you'll actually need. Bulk 500' is not really that much money. Or if you're really sure each run is 60' or less, buy pre cut to size if you can.

Then you hit ebay and grab twist on connectors in bulk. No need to crimp if you don't want to. Use inexpensive twist on's such as these-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Twist-on-BNC-Male-RG59-Connector-for-CCTV-cameras-/261031894277?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3cc6b69d05#ht_1598wt_813

Then you grab power barrels such as these, cheap again-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pairs-Male-and-Female-2-1x5-5mm-DC-Power-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connector-for-CCTV-/261146308078?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3ccd886dee#ht_1393wt_813

And then you hit youtube and watch how to apply twist on bnc connectors- very easy to do. Then take a 4' piece cable and practice putting on those connections. It is not hard and when you do it, you'll be so glad you did because NOW you can drill MUCH smaller holes no matter what you're drilling through. And that's a good day my friend- And guess what- it's almost a sure thing you'll get a better picture from your hand made cable too.

Make your own cables, please. You'll be glad you did.

All good advice from shockwave except for the twist on BNC