securitymonster

Samsung GVI (Digital Watchdog) DW-ZAPro

no, but they are using the same generic remote software all the low end asian DVR companies are using.

Just that its using that generic software, which i have used in the past, i wouldnt buy it, thats first impressions anyway, even a year or so ago we tested out DVRs with built in CDRs like the provideo (OEM) units, and they werent great, never sold them.

Really its going to boil down to how stable the unit is, and yes those Linux Embedded DVRs DO crash, especially the Hi Sharps and Neverfocus units ...

And if it doesnt work over the lan without crashing like the ones i have tested do, then id rather stay away from them .. but then thats just me ... we spent alot of money testing out this and that, wont do that again, they gotta send me a "free" demo unti to test ..

one thing, the AvTech units never crashed on us, and those are cheap ... the PowerTellecom 4 channel they used to sell also never crashed .. CDR, who needs it once you have a USB or near decent network software .. anyway you cut it, a stand alone RTOS will never have the back up quality as a Windows PC based for evidence sharing .. unfortunately, at least not with the current technology.

one thing, the AvTech units never crashed on us, and those are cheap ... the PowerTellecom 4 channel they used to sell also never crashed .. CDR, who needs it once you have a USB or near decent network software .. anyway you cut it, a stand alone RTOS will never have the back up quality as a Windows PC based for evidence sharing .. unfortunately, at least not with the current technology.

Maybe that's in the past.

I've a unit of AVTech AVC787/CPCAM507 that hang on the network connection. Basically you won't get any images streaming to the unit although u get the webbase client and activex component running. Took me a while to figure out, i switch off and switch on the dvr and everything works fine.

Also, their standalone unit although is simple and good, suffer from a strange design issue. It can't work w/o harddisk installed. If your harddisk crashes and w/o a replacement, You won't even be able to use the unit as a multiplexer. You won't be able to see your cameras on screen until you get your spoilt harddisk replaced. Correct me if I am wrong on that.