Sign in to follow this  
kburton66

Security cams with 1200 ft transmission.

New here, first post and I didn't search for similar posts.

I need at least 4 preferably 6 video cameras installed in elderly persons home that will transmit wireless to another home 1200 feet away not using the internet or monthly service contract. Houses have line of sight. Short term recording capabilities would be a plus. I would like to do this myself or work with on line consultant. Thanks.

Future projects:

Driveway cam for three drives.

Security sys for my home

IP cameras with on-board recording.

5.8 GHz wireless 802.11a mesh.

In the UK you can use Band C at 4W but require a site licence from Ofcom.

In the USA you're limited to 1W.

fertilebert

Are you going to be paying this "online consultant"?

Yes, I'd be willing to pay for something like

a) Buy cameras xyz from store abc

b) Use cable d

c) Wire camera to a box e

d) Plug box e into transmitter f

e) Install reciever g and plug into DVR h

f) Plug DVR into monitor

This might sound overly simplistic but I think that is about what I want to do. This basically a babycam for a 91 year old. My problem is buying abc, d, e, f, g, h, that will all work together. I've read some of the concerns about wireless installations but I'm not concerned about others watching, there are no competing signals or interfering equipment, we have a good line of sight and there are no other houses within 800 ft.

I might be able to get the help I need from the forum here and I haven't called any of the stores like Supercircuits yet or been to the local spy stores. This isn't something I can get at Home Depot.

I would think I could pay someone skilled craftsman wages and I would think a skilled craftsman should be able to spec this system out and help with any configuring within a few hours. I paid a plumber once to spec out a kitchen addition and was quite pleased with his service, I'm thinking this should go something like that. If it's considerably more complicated or inordinately expensive I'll probably go with a local installer. Thanks.

IP cameras with on-board recording.

5.8 GHz wireless 802.11a mesh.

In the UK you can use Band C at 4W but require a site licence from Ofcom.

In the USA you're limited to 1W.

Please explain how a MESH network would work with only 2 nodes? Also you would want to use 802.11N not 802.11a.

This is very simple to do with the right equipment.

Hi speed internet is not available. Viewing house doesn't have internet now and upload speed at my house was less than 1 Mbps last time I checked.

I'm not getting anywhere with this.

A guy in a spy store in Louisville thought he had a sys that might work but he checked with his supplier and they said it was just too far. It was rated for our distance but he was nice enough to not push it off on us.

Next thing I need to know is what is kind of internet upload speeds do I need to send out video from 4 or 6 IP cameras. I don't need to read license plates I just need to know were my MIL is and if shes doing ok. Upload speed at my house was less than 1 Mbps last time I checked.

Could move this thread over to "Install Help and Accessories" or the "Residential" forum?

Should be doable with a little work.

Get cams working on a NVRs at the old man's house. Setup a wireless bridge using powerfully outdoor rated point to point antennas. Should be able to get close to 100Mbps reliability with little cost, under $300. This is standard stuff for businesses with buildings. I've connected offices 10 miles apart. If connection is reliable enough, you could put NVRs at main site and stream cameras over wireless.