MR2

3mp vs 5mp, trying for something reasonably priced

Anyone played around with some 5mp cam's (cheap sub $300 jobbies) that actually give you an increase in quality over the 3mp cam's that are out there?

I've bought a few 5mp Cam's and so far the image is actually sharper and better on the 3mp cam's we have so I'm at a loss... after something that is stable in Milestone

The best buy for a 5MP is the new ACTi E96 fisheye for $260ish. If you want a bullet or dome with IR, then $300 may not be enough, maybe the ACTi E33 or E73.

The best buy for a 5MP is the new ACTi E96 fisheye for $260ish. If you want a bullet or dome with IR, then $300 may not be enough, maybe the ACTi E33 or E73.

Funny you should mention that, was just hunting through your reviews and found the Acti E33, it looks like what we're after, just need to find a good (cheap) source

The E37 which is the 10MP version of the E33 should be out in January which means you can probably get it in February/March. Their first 10MP, the E97 should be available in 2 weeks, indoor cam, really wide angle lens.

what's the largest sensor they can actually use a CS/C lens with?

CS lenses can work with up to 1.3" sensors, but these are uncommon. It's rare to see sensors larger than 1/2", and most vendors are moving to 1/3" unless you go for the high-end gear.

As the sensor element gets smaller, lens quality becomes much more critical. It doesn't help to have a 1/3" 10MP sensor if the lens resolution doesn't support that pixel density, and high-resolution MP lenses are expensive.

Note that the actual sensor size is about 2/3 the spec size, due to the quirks of vidicon camera tubes. A 1/2" sensor is really only about 1/3" diagonally, depending.

Also, going from 2MP to 5MP gives 2.5x the total resolution, but you don't get that much improvement in pixels per foot (or whatever unit you prefer), so it's important to check where you need the higher resolution.

1080p - 1920×1080

ACTi 5MP - 2592x1944

Total resolution improvement - 2.4x

Horizontal resolution improvement - 1.35x

Vertical resolution improvement - 1.8x

Multiply those together and you get the total improvement: 1.35 x 1.8 = 2.4x

ETA: Just realized you meant 3MP. Same thing, less improvement - just a 25% increase in linear resolution!

ACTi 3MP - 2048x1536

ACTi 5MP - 2592x1944

Total resolution improvement - 1.6x

Horizontal resolution improvement - 1.26x

Vertical resolution improvement - 1.26x

Multiply those together and you get the total improvement: 1.26 x 1.26 = 1.6x

Yep, I agree with everything you've written, problem I find is I'm really not seeing any improvement on the 5mp over the 3mp, as you say that's likely to be a Lens issue...

guess we wait to see what happens, are they really doing that wonderful a job on the Len's that we'll be able to make any use of 10mp on a 1/3" sensor? sound nuts to me.

That network connection looks Mickey Mouse.

Since our county derives a lot of revenue from Mickey Mouse, i'll take that as a good thing. You can use the included pigtail or you can remove it and feed a regular Cat5/6 with an RJ45 connector and can use conduit. Many people prefer the old school mounts that use a threaded tripod mount vs. the newer cameras with integrated mounts. For example, I can't easily use integrated mounts under my eave because they are too typically too short.

Yep, I agree with everything you've written, problem I find is I'm really not seeing any improvement on the 5mp over the 3mp, as you say that's likely to be a Lens issue...

guess we wait to see what happens, are they really doing that wonderful a job on the Len's that we'll be able to make any use of 10mp on a 1/3" sensor? sound nuts to me.

What you'll find is that ACTi doesn't spec resolution (or much of anything beyond the basics) on their lenses (that I could find). Most vendors don't. The ACTi lenses aren't that expensive, which leads me to believe they aren't high MP rated, but I could be wrong.

As an example, Axis publishes specs on their MP lenses, but each spec is from the OEM and has different parameters, and the ones that do spec resolution mostly say "> 500 TVL", which is not a number that gives me warm fuzzy feelings for an MP lens.

This is another area the vendors need to get under control. With C/CS mount lenses, you can choose the tradeoffs between price and features, but M12 lenses are mostly a roll of the dice.

Well, I got my Acti pricing back

E32 3mp 4.2mm Lens(62.7 Degree FOV), $350

E33 5mp 4.2mm Lens(63.7 Degree FOV), $420

E22V 5mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens(70.9 Degree FOV), $470

E24 3mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens (78.1 Degree FOV), $560

E42A 3mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens (70.5 Degre FOV) $650

E43A 5mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens (69.2 Degree FOV) $740

E62 3mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens (70.5 Degree FOV) $550

E63 5mp 2.8mm-12mm Lens (69.2 Degree FOV) $644

Not really feeling it

Back to the IPQ2232x :P