rayt

Holy Snow! Hikvision cameras, constant motion detection!

So we had a few drops of snow up here in NY this morning, and motion detection was going off like you would not believe.

Is there anyway to work around this?

We had snow twice this season already in So Cal mountains. Can't wait for our first big blizzard. The only way to do what you want is with a PIR motion detector, but not with the entry level Hikvision cameras.

Is the motion detect on the cam or in the NVR? Cams don't usually have much flexibility in motion detect, while some NVR software lets you set parameters that will help avoid random motion of small objects like snow or rain.

This usually reduces sensitivity, and with more sophisticated MD parameters, you can work the trade-offs.

I've had good luck increasing the motion detect time threshold to reduce rain sensitivity, but this depends on whether MD works with individual objects or with the entire FOV.

I used to turn off recording in such conditions just to save on archiving space...until something bad happened in a rain storm and I missed it. At a certain point you just concede that you'll recording full time with pixel based recording during rain and snow. And you should be careful not to dial sensitivity too low because you still need surveillance, bottom line. Get comfy with it.

So we had a few drops of snow up here in NY this morning, and motion detection was going off like you would not believe.

Is there anyway to work around this?

Was there motion? If there was, then that is why it was detected.

On the Hikvision based NVRs you can decide how much space to dedicate to a single camera, so that it doesn't use up all the NVR's space.

it was snowing, i'm not worried about storage space, i have about 16tb of raided storage dedicated to surveillance. Using camera side motion detection on hikvision, with synology software. But will eventually get around to some other software possibly.

I use the lowest sensitivity possible, and the motion detection has worked pretty nicely.

I used to turn off recording in such conditions just to save on archiving space...until something bad happened in a rain storm and I missed it. At a certain point you just concede that you'll recording full time with pixel based recording during rain and snow. And you should be careful not to dial sensitivity too low because you still need surveillance, bottom line. Get comfy with it.

This was my conclusion as well. Better to have too much recorded than too little. I even have a separate system recording 24x7 for those events at the edge of the detection range. Recording time is only 6-8 days, but it gives a good short-term backup to the 2 months of motion detect recordings.

We had snow twice this season already in So Cal mountains. Can't wait for our first big blizzard. The only way to do what you want is with a PIR motion detector, but not with the entry level Hikvision cameras.

I had the same problem tonight with fog. Buellwinkle, do you mean to use a floodlight motion detector and a camera that can take of the quick change of contrast? Or are there IP Cameras with PIR motion detection built in?

We have cameras with built-in PIR motion detectors like Mobotix but I'm saying get the next model up Hikvision, they run about $259 with the varifocal lens, the ds-2cd2732 or ds-2cd2632f and they have alarm inputs. Then you can wire in an PIR motion detector that detects infrared heat signatures of objects that pass it, so way more accurate than video motion detection.

We have cameras with built-in PIR motion detectors like Mobotix but I'm saying get the next model up Hikvision, they run about $259 with the varifocal lens, the ds-2cd2732 or ds-2cd2632f and they have alarm inputs. Then you can wire in an PIR motion detector that detects infrared heat signatures of objects that pass it, so way more accurate than video motion detection.

Thank you! I am having such issues with shadows and change of light triggering motion detection. I did not know you could wire a PIR to an IP cam's alarm input. I think it is time to upgrade the outdoor cameras (don't have same issue indoors). Any particular PIR sensors you recommend? I know where to get the Hikvisions

Optex and Bosch are two brands mentioned here. Make sure it's outdoor rated. They come as hard wired to 12V and battery operated, but cost more.

http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/lx-402

http://products.boschsecurity.us/en/TAMS/products/bxp/SKU262656013936028799990277259-CATM94e42974ba808ed700e2d4978c3cc557

Here's my thoughts, because these outdoor units may be pricey. You can get the equivalent indoor versions for $20-30, so if you can put it under an eave, maybe seal as much as you can with some silicone but leave a gap at the bottom for any moisture to escape, you may be able to save some money.

Also make sure you aren't losing detection because of poor range. Know the coverage range you really want and make sure the PIR's range is up to the task.

Optex and Bosch are two brands mentioned here. Make sure it's outdoor rated. They come as hard wired to 12V and battery operated, but cost more.

http://products.boschsecurity.us/en/TAMS/products/bxp/SKU262656013936028799990277259-CATM94e42974ba808ed700e2d4978c3cc557

Here's my thoughts, because these outdoor units may be pricey. You can get the equivalent indoor versions for $20-30, so if you can put it under an eave, maybe seal as much as you can with some silicone but leave a gap at the bottom for any moisture to escape, you may be able to save some money.

Not very good advice if you want reliable detection. Once bugs are inside game over.

Not very good advice if you want reliable detection. Once bugs are inside game over.

But are the outdoor ones ok...I mean bug wise? They aren't too pricey at around $70 bucks. I am getting so many false alarms due to shadows (much more now than in the summer when the sun was higher in the sky) and headlights. I can't find a happy medium with BI. If I turn on object detect/reject it doesn't do the before/after buffer and if I turn up contrast/size I lose too many "real" events.

Yes, he was referring to the indoor ones used outdoors. I've never tried it but for $20, seemed feasible, but he's probably done it and had issues, so maybe not such a good idea. $70 is not too bad, that's below ADI wholesale prices. Just remember you need a 12V power source to power the detector but simple to wire, 2 wires go to 12V, 2 come from the camera. In the camera, instead of video motion detection, you use alarm triggers. The Optex has 40x50' coverage, probably more than enough for most people. Also, don't know what NVR solution you use, but make sure it supports camera motion/alarm detection like Exacq, Milestone and not something like BlueIris as that won't work.

Just trying to remember, you do have a camera with alarm inputs right, like the Hikvision ds-2cd2732 or 2632 (not the mini bullets/domes most people discuss on this forum).