dorough

Dahua "Preferred Network" Question

My NVR has two network settings. I use one for connecting to my POE for the cameras; I use the other for internet access. In the menu I have to select one as the Preferred Network. Problem is, when I select the POE network I can't send out e-mail alerts from the NVR. Seems like this should be the network to be the preferred because everything else works normally.

If I select the other network (the one with my static IP address) as the preferred, the NVR can send out e-mail alerts, but all of the cameras (at least when remote viewing) go offline.

Any work-arounds for this? Ideas?

Beats me. I don't touch those settings in the first place. Just cause there's a setting doesn't mean you have to tweak it. I leave that default and it's never been a problem.

Beats me. I don't touch those settings in the first place. Just cause there's a setting doesn't mean you have to tweak it. I leave that default and it's never been a problem.

Ummm... there's no "default" when connecting a DVR or NVR to the internet. And trust me, I ain't "tweaking" just for fun. Thanks tho.

I'll have to look when I get home. But all I do is typical networking for the unit and that's that. I leave whatever the preferred network choice is alone. I don't change it and I don't choose it. Never been a problem for emails.

Wait, are you talking about the preferred DNS and alternate DNS fields like I think you are? If so, you should keep them at the goggle default, which is 8.8.8.8 for the preferred and 8.8.4.4 for the alternate. This what I thought you were referring to. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Wait, are you talking about the preferred DNS and alternate DNS fields like I think you are? If so, you should keep them at the goggle default, which is 8.8.8.8 for the preferred and 8.8.4.4 for the alternate. This what I thought you were referring to. Sorry if I'm wrong.

No, I have 2 ethernet ports on my NVR. I use one to connect to my 16-channel POE switch and the other to connect to my router for internet access. In the NVR menu, I have to select one of the two as "preferred network." If I select the POE switch, the NVR won't send out e-mails. If I select the router, the cameras go offline.

It's on the main "Network" page. There's a dropdown menu to select either Ethernet 1 or Ethernet 2, and then a check-box to select one of them to be "preferred."

1658499121_ScreenShot2013-11-17at12_25_40AM.thumb.png.db382e926e48c4545045dfad4834283d.png

Shouldn't your switch be hooked up to the router? The nvr to the switch, switch to the router, no? This way everything is on the same network using only one port on the nvr.

Edited by Guest

Shouldn't your switch be hooked up to the router? The nvr to the switch, switch to the router, no?

Hmm... well, that's not how I have it. I'd like to hear some input on that. I was instructed to connect all the cameras to the POE switch, as well as connect the NVR to the POE switch. I have 11 cameras connected to ports 1-11 on the switch and the NVR connected to port 12. Then I have the 2nd ethernet port from the NVR connected to a port on the router.

And if this might be a solution to get the right preferred port to send emails and camera feeds, and you're out of ports on the switch to configure it that way, perhaps a 4 port cheap switch into a port on the main switch to get more available ports? I'm kinda just guessing it could be. I wouldn't want you to redo your whole setup without someone else confirming.

Very interesting indeed! I assume setting it up like this would mean that I'd only be using one ethernet port on the NVR rather than two... and that'd probably solve my initial problem. Looks like I have some tinkering to do tomorrow. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what I find out.

Well, here I am a few weeks later and tinkering time has been in short supply.

I reconnected everything like you mentioned... router to switch, switch to NVR & cameras. I reassigned the IP addresses of each camera and the NVR based on the router being a "10" device (10.1.10.xx, not 192.168.blah blah blah.) Locally, everything appeared to work fine, but remotely I could not connect to the NVR until I connected that 2nd cable from the NVR port #2 to the router (the one where I had programmed in my static IP address.)

Obviously, remote viewing takes precedence over the ability to send out e-mail alerts, so until I get this figured out, I have to leave it in that configuration. I know I must be doing something stoopid. I didn't go to Networking University, so I'm like a blind dog here. Any more ideas? Thanks for helping!

You can use two networks, if you wanted to. You could use one for streaming, one for recording, one for viewing etc. BUT, you would have to have two different network schemes on your network. I assume that you do not, so plug one cat5 into your system, and use one network port.

It seems that the NVR only want to have one of the networks active at any given time. If I select my static IP network, then I can send out e-mail alerts, but the cameras disconnect. With the other network active, I can't send out the e-mails. Very frustrating.