Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

Whats Happened to Contralube?

ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANT GET CONTRALUBE IN THE UK I AM DESOLATED

I use CONTRALUBE on all connections especially where they are in a weather resistant junction box. I like contralube because that is what I always have used and it's not an aerosol, it squeezes out of the tube right where I want it doesn't go all over everything.

I am was looking to buy a few tubes this week and suddenly out of nowhere everyplace I have bought it before are saying 'discontinued'

Even Amazon hasn't got any suppliers for it. whats going on? Before anyone suggests silicone grease forget it, I've seen where that has dried out and it forms a white non conductive powder that insulates rather than lubricates.

I don't like using servisol 10 or 40 as they tend to go EVERYWHERE rather than just where you want.

You can try dielectric grease. Usually available at auto parts stores.

Or check here

That's assuming you need it for electrical connections. For other applications, try this:

235834_1.jpg

Dielectric grease is an insulator as the name suggests and not a conductive and protective material.

I got an email from the manufacturer of Contralube in answer to my email.

Whats actually happened they have hiked the price more than four times and discontinued the 75g tube since it would now cost in the region of £75-£80 (ridiculous) in favour of mini sachets and 25g tubes.

Looks like I am going to be using Servisol 10 when my current supply finishes.

This is REALLY irritating....

This is the Reply I got from Newgate Simms, the manufacturer of Contralube

The new price makes it almost as expensive as GOLD, on a weight for weight basis.

As much as I find it an invaluable product, this is one installer that will be looking for an

alternative.

Hi Mark,

My name is Peter from Newgate Simms, the maker of Contralube....I'm the tech help/product support chap.

The 75gram tube is now out of stock (maybe the odd one hanging around on Amazon or ebay?) I'm sorry for this Mark but it can't be helped.

Some background...

A key supplier of the base oil and a chemical required to make the product went bust. They were a cheap supplier from the far east and although we have secured a new long term supply for the future, the price has shot through the roof. The new base oil for the grease is much superior but in reality the average user wouldn't notice the difference so Contralube 770 is "new and improved formula" but I'm not sure if customers would notice the difference.

This massive price jump is not something we wanted to do and we did think about discontinuing the product. However, Contralube 770 has a surprisingly loyal following and does tick over nicely each year.

Some resellers did not think the product would sell at the new price but we haven't seen a negative effect. Contralube 770 is a problem solving product and (within reason) people would pay whatever it takes to fix their problems...this opinion has been backed up by recent events; yes people are annoyed at the price rise but they still keep buying the product.

Again, sorry about the price rise Mark, we are only a small UK manufacturer but really want to keep the product going as it has some big fans out there.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I've attached the new updated product data sheet and our 'facts & myths' sheet for you (in case you haven't seen them before). Data sheet Facts & Myths

Regards

Peter

Newgate Simms

SPECIALITY CHEMICALS & LUBRICANTS