timb

Cold temps. I am new to the video surveillance world.

Hello all. I am new to the video surveillance world. I had my house wired up for video surveillance when I had it built. Three years later the company I was going to have install the surveillance system went out of business. I am more than capable of installing the system myself seeing that all the power and video cables are already installed. My issues are selecting the right system.

1. First problem\Biggest problem is operating temps: average temps are 14F to 100F although we do get some Canadian cold fronts that drop the temp down in the winter to -10F to -20F. All the ratings I see from decent cameras are rated around 14F for the low operating temp. We also get snow and fog.

2. Second problem is lighting: The camera will get full sun light first half of the day and next to no light in the night time. What I was thinking, was to use a separate IR lighting source and a good cctv camera. The camera will be located outside in a dark backyard with a not so bright street light about 120 feet or so from the location of the camera.

3. Last but not least we need a 8 to 16 channel DVR. We plan on using Android devices to remotely monitor the system.

I do not need high end equipment yet I did read about your do not buy low end equipment. I was considering Lorex until I came across you form. I thought starting with the camera and working my way down to the DVR was a good start. So as you can see I need help finding the right system for my budget. I need one good camera for outside and one inside for starters. I need an 8 to 16 channel DVR with Smartphone access.

Ideas please, because I am researching so much that I think I am learning more then I need to and I don’t want to access information that does not pertain to my needs.

You should have no issues findings an 8 or 16 channel DVR with andriod remote viewing, almost all have it today.

As for the sun, many bullet cameras have sun shades which can help solve this problem, and you can either go IR or true day/night.

I just purchased several cameras that were rated down to -40 Celsius I believe. (have to double check). The other option would be to use box cameras inside a housing with a heater and blower.

I've been doing cold weather for 5 years now, some extreme locations. ie. 7k mountain top

- if "extreme", below 15F and freezing rime ice type conditions, use the Dotworkz enclosures.

- above 15F, with 20-30F average temps; using Dahua & Acti, leaning more and more towards Dahua since the price is great and I can afford to toss'm and buy'm. Have not tossed any yet Dahua 20xPTZ is the bomb....been running one here in Idaho temps going on 2nd year with no issues. Acti's are ok but have some issues with exposures slowly changing pic britness on their own and pricey?

- use motion sensing natural lighting where you can............

- NVR.......I use Video Insight as my #1 goto and then I am a dealer for Security Camera King in FL which deals in Dahua rebranded. Their equipment is pretty nice and budget friendly.

- Lorex? Is a Dahua sidekick. The wiring is slightly cheap on the analog stuff so I would not go there with your cold weather unless all is inside.

I recommend you build a solid infrastructure using decent routers & PoE switchs. ie. Mikrotik & Toff Switch 8-Port. If using wireless, go with Ubiquiti; been running them in extreme weather and they are cheap and bullet proof if installed properly.

I am leaning towards a Dahua 8 Channel Full D1 Standalone DVR with Full D1 recording, 8 channel video inputs, and 8 channel audio inputs : My question is there any noticeable difference between 30 fpm, 200+ fpm, or 400+ fpm?

What are the pros and cons of using IR or true day/night?

I am also tech savvy, yet I want to stay away from wireless and IP cams. They are out of my price range. The Dahua 20xPTZ was nice…I found this video on youtube

I am leaning towards a Dahua 8 Channel Full D1 Standalone DVR with Full D1 recording, 8 channel video inputs, and 8 channel audio inputs : My question is there any noticeable difference between 30 fpm, 200+ fpm, or 400+ fpm?

What are the pros and cons of using IR or true day/night?

I am also tech savvy, yet I want to stay away from wireless and IP cams. They are out of my price range. The Dahua 20xPTZ was nice…I found this video on youtube

Sorry I meant to say, "My question is there any noticeable difference between 30 fps, 200+ fps, or 400+ fps?"

30 FPS means 30 frames per second, which is NTSC standard video frame number.

25 FPS is for PAL standard, being used in China or most of other countries.

I am not quite sure, "200 + FPS "???

My guess is it for 200 FPS (8 Ch X 25FPS) or 8 Ch X 30FPS.

In the same way, 400 +FPS are probably for 16 Channel Camera system,

16 X 25fps for PAL or 16 X30 for NTSC

30 FPS means 30 frames per second, which is NTSC standard video frame number.

25 FPS is for PAL standard, being used in China or most of other countries.

I am not quite sure, "200 + FPS "???

My guess is it for 200 FPS (8 Ch X 25FPS) or 8 Ch X 30FPS.

In the same way, 400 +FPS are probably for 16 Channel Camera system,

16 X 25fps for PAL or 16 X30 for NTSC

I never looked at it that way....Thanks!

Now all I have to do is find a good analog camera that will work well in cold temps. It has been in the single digits all week with negative wind chill temps. We live in Ohio and we get Alberta clippers from Canada all the time so we need a camera that can endure the cold temps.

Audio would be nice but I might just run a independent mic for audio.

Timb,

As long as electric power is there for driving camera system alive,

cold would not matter. Heat and Hot Temp always kill electric system down. As to analog camera, 960H would be recommendable, just because they are new.

Timb,

As long as electric power is there for driving camera system alive,

cold would not matter. Heat and Hot Temp always kill electric system down. As to analog camera, 960H would be recommendable, just because they are new.

Most electronics don't like to be extremely cold or hot, this is why we use heated enclosures with fans to control the temp and keep everything working the way they should.

I have installed several systems with +14 degree minimum temp requirement. We just recently went through temperature's down to -18 degrees and the camera's worked just fine. Even the DVR's in unheated buildings continued to function without incident.