frige

About to pull the trigger

I understand this has been covered 762 times however.

After searching the posts I believe this to be the best system in my budget that will do what I need. http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Stratus-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048586.html

Before I plunk down my plastic are there any better deals out there for this level? I am reasonably proficient at computers and a buddy of mine is a network guru so we should be able to handle the install. That being said I would rather have a kit with with all the product preselected than buying the cameras and nvr individually.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I believe you have a condition called "analysis paralysis". Time to pull the trigger and don't look back. These days, most name brand cameras are decent. You'll get different opinions from different people, no shortage of that. So stop thinking and start spending

And now the real work begins. The system will probably be here next week sometime. The kit comes with 100 foot of cable for each camera. What kind of quality is it? Should I just figure on replacing it with good stuff?

I'd replace it with other stuff but not because those cables aren't adequate. If you've got upgrade-itis or want/need to exchange for some other reason, if you own the cables separately you don't have to worry about yanking and re-running cables for the next thing. At about 8 cents a foot plus ends, it's cheap to make your own, plus you don't have to worry about having a 70' coil of cable laying around if you only need 30' for a cam or two. If you've never crimped cat5 before, prepare for a $30-$60 outlay for crimper and tester, plus some learning time in addition to a 1000' box of cable. Balance ease of returns and smaller holes vs extra cost and effort (and possible bad cable testing) making your own cables.

It's not easy to run wires through walls with the ends on anyway and to me, I want the shortest cable possible to minimize power loss. So buy a crimper and tester, cost maybe $20 or less and a bag of RJ45 plugs and start practicing. The wire that comes with it is cheap, but I use it to make shorter jumper cables, haven't had a problem but I wouldn't put it in my walls.

frige

I just ordered the same kit but with 4 camera's. Its my first system and im a total noobee at this. Hoping the install will go smooth.

The Lorex cams are pretty good IMO. I have the domes and the bullets. I second the notion of running some quality Cat-5e (easier to run without the ends, confidence of GOOD wire in your walls, etc). If you get quality wire you will have so much less headache getting the twisted pairs to stay straight going into the RJ45 plug (to terminate). I can't tell you how many RJ45 ends I have thrown away when replacing ends on already run (pre-made) cables. Let us know how the DVR works.

I got one of these for myself from amazon.. Being a network tech i love this crimper..and specially the connecters.. it wont let you waste one connector unless u wanna do it intentionally. lol

Platinum-Tools-100054C-Clamshell-EZ-RJPRO Price: $62.86

Platinum Tools 100010C EZ-RJ45 Cat 6+ Connectors Price: $29.72