Numb-nuts

NOT a nice experience

Often when attending work sites I have to remove cameras that have either failed or are simply to be replaced.

Very often, the fixings won't undo and they are rusted on and no quantitly of releasing fluid will remove them.

ANSWER? I always carry a small 4" angle grinder to remove the nuts or bolt head.

Recently I had to do this, obviously I wear heavy gloved and glasses as protection.

You might think this were reasonably sufficient? NOT A BIT OF IT!

That evening I noticed a small wound on my right arm, a little sore but nothing that serious.

I simply put it down to a skin imperfection that had erupted. Then next day or two, I noticed a hole

that appeared to have been burnt into my fleece jacket. NO others like a splash from acid, but just the one.

Then after submitting my shirt that I wore that day to the boss for laundry, we noticed a burn in the sleeve.

I suddenly realized these were all in the same spot, so I re examined the hole in the fleece.

It was surrounded by burnt plastic type material as you might expect.

Pulling at it I found something solid and after removing it, found that it was a bolt-head which I had

ground off and it had burnt it's way through to my arm.

This was the first time I have ever had anything like this happen and so it was a

serious shock and to realize how lucky I had been was a real education in safety.

Since this is not something I regularly do, the question is what can I buy that

would protect my body from neck down. I checked the safety wear websites and found this

236812_1.jpg

I think it has to be worth the money especially where safety is now more of a concerned.

You can fix a bib to the lower front to complete the lower torso protection too.

UPDATE: wow expensive it's cheaper to just buy a chrome leather welder's jacket so thats what I am doing.

Yeah I know putting on such a jacket just to cut a few bolts off is a real nuisance, but think of the potential for a really nasty burn? I think I got away lucky.

Often when attending work sites I have to remove cameras that have either failed or are simply to be replaced.

Very often, the fixings won't undo and they are rusted on and no quantitly of releasing fluid will remove them.

ANSWER? I always carry a small 4" angle grinder to remove the nuts or bolt head.

Recently I had to do this, obviously I wear heavy gloved and glasses as protection.

You might think this were reasonably sufficient? NOT A BIT OF IT!

That evening I noticed a small wound on my right arm, a little sore but nothing that serious.

I simply put it down to a skin imperfection that had erupted. Then next day or two, I noticed a hole

that appeared to have been burnt into my fleece jacket. NO others like a splash from acid, but just the one.

Then after submitting my shirt that I wore that day to the boss for laundry, we noticed a burn in the sleeve.

I suddenly realized these were all in the same spot, so I re examined the hole in the fleece.

It was surrounded by burnt plastic type material as you might expect.

Pulling at it I found something solid and after removing it, found that it was a bolt-head which I had

ground off and it had burnt it's way through to my arm.

This was the first time I have ever had anything like this happen and so it was a

serious shock and to realize how lucky I had been was a real education in safety.

Since this is not something I regularly do, the question is what can I buy that

would protect my body from neck down. I checked the safety wear websites and found this

236812_1.jpg

I think it has to be worth the money especially where safety is now more of a concerned.

You can fix a bib to the lower front to complete the lower torso protection too.

UPDATE: wow expensive it's cheaper to just buy a chrome leather welder's jacket so thats what I am doing.

Yeah I know putting on such a jacket just to cut a few bolts off is a real nuisance, but think of the potential for a really nasty burn? I think I got away lucky.

I'd be more concerned about the neurological condition behind the loss of pain reception

I don't really mind hot grinding shrapnel unless I'm really attached to the clothes and grinding overhead. Wearing the heavy leather bothers me more. Just don't be surprised by a hot bit and jump off a ladder. Welding and using cutting torches overhead are when you've really gotta break out the leather. An ounce of white hot slag down your shirt or burning its way into your lap is when things get really fun. Oh, and don't wear synthetic clothes (polar fleece or whatever) when grinding if the sparks are bouncing off you. They'll melt up and be fit for the garbage bin in no time when something cotton will barely show a mark.

And the toss has a point. You should notice the pain when it happens even if you shrug it off. Might not hurt to get tested for diabetes (or even farther) if you don't notice a sharp little zing when something like that happens. I won't ask how you got your nickname.

I don't really mind hot grinding shrapnel unless I'm really attached to the clothes and grinding overhead. Wearing the heavy leather bothers me more. Just don't be surprised by a hot bit and jump off a ladder. Welding and using cutting torches overhead are when you've really gotta break out the leather. An ounce of white hot slag down your shirt or burning its way into your lap is when things get really fun. Oh, and don't wear synthetic clothes (polar fleece or whatever) when grinding if the sparks are bouncing off you. They'll melt up and be fit for the garbage bin in no time when something cotton will barely show a mark.

And the toss has a point. You should notice the pain when it happens even if you shrug it off. Might not hurt to get tested for diabetes (or even farther) if you don't notice a sharp little zing when something like that happens. I won't ask how you got your nickname.

Right on ALL counts

I was up a ladder and yes I was wearing synthetics, hard to avoid them these days

9/10 times when the angle grinder comes out I will be up a ladder as you can probably

guess, so I am always going to be working above head height. Hat, Gloves, Glasses and leather from now on....

Also the cost of replacing the burnt clothing is quite gut wrenching.

I still can't get over the fact that I didn't actually realize for DAYS!!!!!

Is it a nuisance to get geared up just to cut a few nuts and bolts off? YEP IT IS... however the pain of burnt

clothing and potentially skin burning and potential for infection are worth avoiding and just imagine

if that had gone into an eye. It is from my point of view, a lesson in personal safety

I couldn't think of a nickname for the forum. I don't really do nicknames so my friend said to me

'come on NN how difficult can it be to think of a nick name?" so I took that one. It makes no real reference to me... I hope.

I cant imagine ever taking the risk to catch my finger with an angle grinder, it must simply remove the

skin and fling it over your shoulder so nothing left to heal over the wound, OUCH!

I couldn't think of a nickname for the forum. I don't really do nicknames so my friend said to me

'come on NN how difficult can it be to think of a nick name?" so I took that one. It makes no real reference to me... I hope.

What explains the avatar than?

I just thought it went with the handle. Kind of light hearted right?

I had the same problem with nicknames as you did Numb-nuts, however I was not as creative. Both your nickname and avatar are original and unforgettable! " title="Applause" />

~Mike