fas

Need Advice On CCTV Install

I was asked to install a cctv system for a small building that is being vandalized. It is about 30 feet by 30 feet. They have a small budget, and I will be doing the work really cheap to help them out. I have never installed anything except a few small home systems that were pc based. Here is what I am planning:

4 channel nuvico dvr w/ 80 gig drive

4 nuvico day/night ir bullet cameras

2 warning signs

siamese cable connecting from camera with pigtails to 8 way 12v power box supply

14 inch cctv monitor

I plan on placing a camera on each corner of the building facing each other in a circular motion so that if someone vandalizes one of the cameras, one of the other cameras will pick it up. There are no poles of any high areas to mount the cameras, so that is why I am mounting them on the building. I know these cameras can be destroyed, but vandal resistant cameras are too expensive for them, and you can't mount dome vandal resistant cameras vertically, can you? If there is a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do, I would appreciate any help.

Also, is 80 gig enough for 4 cameras running 24/7, or should I upgrade to 200 gig? I am trying to save them money, so maybe there is some way to get away with 80 gig.

Finally, I don't know if I am allowed to mention prices, but I found a place that I can have everything I need to get this going for $1700 shipped. Is that a good price? Thank you.

I would try to purchase a larger hard drive as you can get 250 GB hard drives for about $69 on sale.

You can mount some domes vertically you just have to check the specs. I just mounted a dome last night vertically and it works fine.

Without actually being able to see the building I can't really give you any advice regarding camera placement.

Maybe some of the other people can address some of your other questions.

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend another brand less expensive, but with similar quality? Are you saying $1700 is too much? If I can get it for less, please direct me how. I don't want to install junk, but I don't know what junk is. I have only heard good things about nuvico, that's why I picked them, but I have an open mind.

Regarding the hard drive... they want another $200 to upgrade to 200 gig. Can I just buy my own drive, or is it special?

Most of the time you could get away by getting your own hard drive. But first, let's start by helpig you choose th right system for you.

I got a few questions to ask you to help us determine what you should get.

1. How is the lighting on the area?

2. Where are you located? to determine if you need something like a heater/blower housing.

3. Are you thinking 24/7 recording, or just motion detection?

4. What are the agles of view, meaning if a 3.6mm lens would be good enough, or if you require a varifocal.

Check out the advertisers sites, look under Recorders and Embedded 4 channel units, you should find some decent units there. $1700 is around the cost of a GE Embedded DVR, so if you were spending that I would suggest the GE over the Nuvico. You're basically buying high end at those prices.

You could do a great PC based system real time and loaded with features, for alot less than that also.

I cant speak on the Nuvico cameras, never used them, but if the client/friend are on a budget, your better off with a budget Color only camera, and BW cameras in low light areas - bullet cameras - vandal domes will cost much more for decent quality and mounting options.

Also being on a budget, you can save them money with a 13" color TV ..

Honestly if they dont need a ton of features, a budget 4 channel DVR is all they will probably need, the brand does matter so post what you find.

Rory

Edited by Guest

Thanks, guys.

1. How is the lighting on the area?

It's ok. A few spot lights on all the time

2. Where are you located? to determine if you need something like a heater/blower housing.

located in northeast, so it does get cold!

3. Are you thinking 24/7 recording, or just motion detection?

I don't know, if I do 24/7 80 gig is not enough, right? Can I get away with 80 gig on motion detection?

4. What are the agles of view, meaning if a 3.6mm lens would be good enough, or if you require a varifocal.

The angles are just enought to see from the building wall to about a few feet out to see the vandals.

now the $1700 included EVERYTHING, not just the dvr.

Are you also saying that I can use a regular tv? How do you do that? bnc to rca connectors? Will it still look good enough to see the vandals?

Thanks again guys, you are a big help.

hey FAS, if you use a regular TV, you would use a BNC Female to RCA Male adapter and feed that into one of the Video inputs (video 1, 2 or 3) of the tv.

Spytown,

Do I just connect an output of the dvt to the tv via bnc to rca? Will the tv still show a quad view of all 4 cameras?

From doing some reading, it seems like $1700 is a high price to pay for what I need. Can someone direct me somewhere where I can get what I need for around $1,000? I don't have to use nuvico products, but something comparable in quality. Thanks.

The budget should probably be getting higher not lower.

A DVR and 4 cameras for a grand. It would be a very crappy system. And a CCTV monitor, power supply and cabling. Whew.

JMHO.

I am new to this, so I am not up to date on pricing. I found a $1700 system, and I thought it was the best deal I could find. Then I found a few other places that were cheaper. I don't know of the quality of the other places. So it seems like maybe $1700 is pretty good. One question I have is the nuvico dvr comes with an 80gig hard drive. Can I request it without the drive, buy a 250 gig drive, put it in, and will it work, or do I have to format the drive a certain way? It seems like most places want an extra $200 for a 200 gig drive, when you can buy one for uner $100. Please let me know. Thanks.

They have a 4 cam system for under $1,000.00. Is it poor quality, or will it suffice? I haven't seen much written about them, and I was wondering of any good or bad experiences. Thanks.

The HiSharp model you're looking at is a pretty low end model. They're problematic on the network/remote view side. They are also an MJPG based machine which tends to be pretty poor on compression (less recording time). Unless you're really looking for a "budget" DVR, you're probably better with the Nuvico.

For all that are interested, CCTVfactory.com imports their DVRs from HiSharp and Yoko. They're fairly low end units. They also offer PC-based systems that are based on the Geovision platform. Their cameras are OEM; nothing special, nothing terrible. If you're looking for a low-cost embedded system then you'll get what you pay for. Here are the manufacturer websites for the products they offer:

http://www.yoko-tech.com

http://www.hisharp.com

http://www.geovision.com.tw

Also of note... cctvfactory.com sells on ebay.