toughman

PC based DVR system slow-down/froze problem.

#1 - Make sure there is no other software installed on it ... besides the DVR software and XP updates/Fixes, drivers for the codecs for the DVR, etc.

#2 - Make the DVR software reboot occasionally - if you want - i set them to every 24 hours just for kicks, though im sure it can get away with it being alot longer as well the way XP works is different from the older 9X OS's.

#3 - Install these 2 programs, put them somewhere like a new folder called Services - CCleaner and Windows Cleanup. Normally you dont need these, but in your case you should run the 2 of these to the default settings:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#4 - The Following:

this is a list of XP services I turn off by default on all PC DVRs, and my own PC. Speeds things up tremendously. I also use Port Filtering on DVRs to block all ports except the DVR server ports (eg. 80, 81, 82, whichever are used).

--------------------------------------------------

Computer Browser (unless network for browsing other computers)

Error Reporting Service

Fast User Switching

Help & Support

Indexing Service

Messenger

Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Registry

Routing and Remote Access

Security Accounts Manager (unless you use IIS)

Security Center

System Restore Service

Themes

Universal Plug and Play Host

Wireless Zero Configuration (unless you use wireless)

------------------------------------------

Additional Settings to Speed things up:

-Classic Windows Folders

-Classic Start Menu

-Personalized Menu off

-Group Similar Buttons off

-Hide Inactive Buttons off

-Remote Assistance off

-Windows Classic Theme

-No Screen Saver

-Turn off all Graphic Effects (use Tweakui)

-Performance on high setting

-Automatic Updates off

-MSN Messenger Uninstall & Disable

-Interner Explorer Uninstall & Disable & High Secu Setting, Cookies Disabled, & Content Advisor Enabled (then cant browse the web)

-TCP & UDP Port Filtering

Also for DVRs

-No games

-No Outlook Express

-No Antivirus

-No Office

-No All-in-one Printers (just the basic drivers)

-No .Net (unless DVR requires it - eg. ATI card)

-No Java Runtime (unless DVR requires it)

-No Adobe Software

#5 - if it still seems slow, after rebooting and doing all the above, you may have trojans, malware, or viruses.

Download Trojan Hunter. Now here is the thing, it will load the Trojan Guard by default, you need to turn that off by clicking on the icon in the System Tray, All you want it for is the Scan, it is free to evaluate, and you can uninstall after if you like. Unload and Turn off Guard.

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Spybot S&D - great free software for general Spyware: You can leave this on, it doesnt do anything unless you are scanning.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

If all Else fails, and you think you still have issues, install Ewido, but you will need to disable it from start up, and also make sure the Guard is not loaded, it takes up alot of CPU and memory. Do the full scan, also, check the start up processes. It is also trialware so the scan will still work but the guard and updates wont after a certain period.

http://www.ewido.net/en/

if you see anything suspicious after the Ewido scan and it is still slow, you may need to do an antivirus scan, check out AVG Free:

http://free.grisoft.com/

After all of these in #5, id suggest uninstalling them all and run the 2 Cleaner Cleanup programs above. If you want to keep them thats fine, just make sure they are not in start up by going to RUN and MSCONFIG STARTUP. Nothing but the DVR software should be there.

#6 - Something else i always install is TweakUi - download from DOWNLOAD.com, its free (its the 2nd one that comes up). I speed up the mouse, turn off all graphics, turn off Active Desktop changes, Hide Documents and Favourites on the Start menu.

#7 - I always install Real VNC so i can admin them remotely. If you do this than I could always log on with a password and check it out for you incase you have problems with doing any of the above.

#8 - Lastly, run the common windows Admin tools, Scan Disk, Clean up (select everything on the list - though wont be much left), and finally sit back and defrag. Make sure nothing is on start up once again, except the DVR server software - if you installed Tweak, that will be there also and thats okay. Now installing windows is another topic, i always do 10GB FAT32 and the rest NTSC, and load the DVR software on Partition D: but thats all personal preference.

-----

There are some other cosmetic things i do like:

only having the DVR server Software on the desktop, no recycle bin, no my computer, no nothing but the DVR software such as the Main program Shortcut, Back up, and Search.

In the Start Menu and Programs I only have the DVR software programs, you can edit that via TaskBar advanced settings. Just select all the others like Accessories and right click and check hidden, and drag the DVR software menu items into the main menu, and you can also hide run from the taskbar settings. So basically its just a DVR and thats it.

In Tweak Dont Show Documents or Favourites in the My Documents on the Start Menu, and in the Tweak desktop section i hide the Recycle bin, My network, and My computer (2 of those you can just right click delete on the desktop actually). So basically just some user settings to make it look less like a PC.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know.

Rory

PS. Use at your own risk, i wont be held responsible for anyting ..

but i never had a problem yet ..

Edited by Guest

That is a great list and has gotten better since I last saw it.

I am going to go through my personal computer and get rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff that has built up over the past few years.

Before you do all the stuff on that list note how much CPU usage you are currently using and then check it again afterward and let us know.

I think you will be happy. I know I was when he first did it to my system.

you're using the default ports. change the port sttings into 90 and 1100 (or any other unused ports).

I believe the reason for your problem is that capture.exe is getting exhausted by an outside attack through the default port (9091).

You can try diconnecting the dvr from the network, and see that it's working properly after restarting your dvr application.

loop,

Have you used the same DVR card, RadarMagic? One of the problem systems became stable after removing from internet, however, the other one still showed the same problem.

loop.

thank you for your onfo. Yes, the system will be normal after reinstalling the DVR program. However, soon or later it will be showing the same problem.

So far, all the systems with problem were online for remote monitor. Do you think internet connection will be the factor to the problem?

I used to be an failure analysis engineer and I really want to find out the cuase of the problem.

Is capture.exe using 100% of the cpu power?

It might be that some OS files that are used by the dvr application were replaced or damaged.

I would reinstall the OS as an easy solution.

loop,

Systems will become stable after removing from internet and rerun the DVR program (not reboot).

I used port monitor program to check the activities and found out there are some connections on port 80 of my DVR server and one IP address, 218.56.50.238), took 8 of them. In addition, LUCOMS~1.EXE (it showed from Norton live update) from my DVR system tried to attack other servers on their port 80.

I tried to monitor my port activities. In addition, I used "spyware doctor" to catch the trojan and the trojan is Trojan.Lazar.C.

First, my system was attacked by a PC from China (218.56.50.238). It establiched about 9 connections on my port 80 from its different ports. Then, after a while my system started attacking others and my DVR process took about 92% CPU. From my prot activity monitor, my PC would attack different systems on their port 80 or 21. I also observed that the attacks were from my processes, svchost.exe and LUCOMS~1.EXE.

Since I have several systems in field, I need to find the solution to prevent this problem.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

-Upgrade to SP2 if you havent already

-Switch the port from 80, to 81 or 82, for the DVR for remote view

-Enable Windows Firewall and add the DVR ports and Remote Viewer Program to it

-If you have an extra firewall or are using Nortons with Internet Worm Blocking (not needed if using TCP Port Filtering) add 1 rule to block all ports, then add a Permit rule above that for each Port the DVR Remote viewer uses - essentially also blocking ports.

-Use TCP Port Filtering under TCP settings and advanced. Filter all TCP and UDP, just add the TCP ports your DVR Remote Viewer uses

-Turn off all unneeded services - see the list i posted before

-Take off everything but what the DVR server needs from the start up - MSCONFIG

-Run Ewido, Trojan Hunter, Spybot S&D, and if you have Nortons update it and then do a full scan - delete any trojans and viruses found.

-Completely uninstall and remove MSN IM

-Turn up all IE settings to high (Security & Privacy Tabs) & Enable Content Manager incase a staff member tries to browse (set a pass)

-Disable Access to IE, MSN IM (if you dont want to delete it), and anything else that the DVR server software doesnt use

-Run SpywareBlaster (once only) and enable all protection - just as added security

-Run Windows Cleanup! ( http://cleanup.stevengould.org ) - use Thorough Cleanup from the Options

-Run CCLeaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp ), use the cleaner and the issues, do both 3 times.

-Make sure you have a router, then port forward only the Ports the DVR Remote Viewer uses - normally just TCP only.

all else fails or you feel too overwhelmed to do all this, install Ultra VNC and let me at it.

Rory