Judge94

tablet as a test monitor

Id like to use a tablet as a test/service monitor during installation. I'm using mostly pelco analog cameras but that is likely to change soon to IP. Does anyone know of a tablet that you can run the camera to directly and if there is an app needed. I've tried to get answers to this but folks keep giving me the remote apps for their already installed up and running systems. I'm looking to go direct camera to table or maybe a smart phone.

Thanks!

hello judge94,

I can't sure if i had understand what's your meaning.You want a tablet or phone as a service monitor?

Analog camera need av or bnc interface to connect the monitor.

IP camera need network cable to dvr or other smart device like computer.

There is only one way to use phone or tablet that the ip camera auto connect your wireless and you can use your phone to visit.

that's all, Good luck.

Thanks. I'm not sure I understood your reply. I would like to wire direct camera to tablet so I can aim and focus the camera.

Most IP cameras do not have a bnc output. I always set up the NVR on the network and connect my samsung tablet to the

wifi. There's a 2-3 second lag so you have to get used to that, but it works great. There is also an adaptor that you can

plug into your laptop's ethernet port and than plug the IP camera into it and you can view the camera that way. I'll try to find a link to the adaptor. You can't just plug the camera into the laptop directly cause it needs power.

Thanks for the info Lucky. The adapter you mentioned would certainly be helpful. I have power to the cameras when I reach this point of an install so I should be able to plug an IP camera directly to the tablet. WIFI is not an option in these areas. Now I'll need to figure out how to plug an analog camera directly into the tablet.

You can use a Veracity PinPoint adapter, which acts like a splitter, at the camera. That will provide POE to the camera while sending the stream to your monitor. It's easier to use a reasonably fast laptop so that your adjustments become closer to real time but many tablets will also work. There are LAN-to-USB adapters so you can attach to a USB port.

Your tablet has an ethernet port? I was talking about a laptop, not a tablet. If you have power to the IP camera, than you can pick up a net book cheap, and use that. All you have to do is give the net book an IP in network settings, and

enter the IP of the camera in explorer.

I use the Pin Point and a laptop - I tried a netbook but it was too slow. I used to use an Eliminator (from Cdn tire) power pack with a poe injector. We had one of the Axis handhelds but I didn't like the interface.

Has anyone tried the Acti PMON-1001? If so, does it work on other brands of camera if you use that camera's viewer software?

Forget using a Blackberry. Too slow and too limited in the types of media it supports.

It's possible that some of the latest tablets that use the 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor may have the horsepower to handle megapixel streams with relatively low latency but my tests of lower-powered tablets gave disappointing results. Typical latencies were on the order of a second or more, if the tablet was even able to display the camera at all.

Laptops, ultrabooks and the like have a distinct advantage here but they can be a pain to handle when you're standing on a ladder trying to aim, zoom and focus a camera. And while power zoom and focus is a boon to installing IP cameras, you still have to be able to control those functions at the camera - something I found isn't always possible with many tablets.

Forget the Axis T8414, Razberi IT-5000, Pelco IPCT01 and the like. They are all the same product with firmware differences. The Razberi IT-5000 supports the most cameras but even then, support is limited. It is also abominably slow, has a small screen and doesn't support power zoom and focus, crippling it for most uses. An Axis rep confirmed that their tool was made by the same manufacturer as the Razberi but that Razberi controlled what cameras other versions supported so the Axis T8414 only supports Axis cameras. Likely Pelco and others suffer the same limitations.

You can use a Veracity PinPoint adapter, which acts like a splitter, at the camera. That will provide POE to the camera while sending the stream to your monitor. It's easier to use a reasonably fast laptop so that your adjustments become closer to real time but many tablets will also work. There are LAN-to-USB adapters so you can attach to a USB port.

ive straped a old router to the Veracity, powered it off the optional 12vdc on the unit and useing my cells wifi to view the cameras, but it only works for the IP cameras. i cant think of any way to get analog cameras to run off that yet.