CCTVBUK

Controlling five workstations with one keyboard & mouse

I am going to make a design for the CCTV control room, I have 20 viewing stations and I want to control each five workstation with one keyboard & mouse so I don't have to put a lot of keyboards/mouses in the control room; it will not be good view with control room full of keyboards....please help.

someone told me that it is possible to do this with KVM matrix....could you please send me part number, manual, web page talking about this issue....thanks a lot.....

A KVM switch is a very common thing, and the setup is pretty straightforward. Here is one example of such a device, but there are MANY so shop around!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107420

Some of the nicer ones will have a hotkey to switch it simply using the keyboard. The one we use most often uses the scroll lock button. You hit scroll lock twice and then the UP arrow, and it switches sources. The sources are labeled on screen, and you can program those labels as required. I would expect to pay between 200 and 400 for a decent one.

Dear All, ....thanks a lot....I will study the proposed solutions and I will come back to you if required more help.........Thaaaanks

Note: the keyboards and mouse will be USB ones....is there any problem with them.

for the one who ask for more information, I am going to use 20 workstation Dell Model T5400 and each workstation with it is own LCD screen......Just I don't want to install 20 keyboards and mousea on the operators disk...I want one keyboard and mouse to control five workstations and their monitors so total I will have 20/5= 4 Keyboard/mouse controlling 20 Workstations (each workstation has it is own LCD Screen).

This control room will manage IP CCTV System with Honeywell Client viewing software installed on these workstations.

Dear All,

please note that I want to keep the monitors connected directly to workstations because I am using HDMI Cables with DH Screens to view HD Videos...

Dear all,

the proposed KVM is OK but I have the following notes:

1- I require USB one not PS/2 for keyboard and mouse

2- Could I use only the section of keyboard and mouse; I don't want to use the section of VGA ports because I want to keep every screen connected through HDMI Cable to related workstation...is it possible ?and still can I manage and switch from one workstation to another...By Scroll Lock button or other way

Thanks for ur help.

I don't recall ever trying it that way, but I think it would work. If I were going to do that, I would use a manual KVM and label each screen with the channel it was using on the KVM. That way you can reduce confusion as to which screen you are controlling.