videoVIP

Need a new IP camera vendor!

I've had it with Axis! Been selling their stuff for years and finally have no hair left to pull out of my head. I'm trying to get away from analog and will continue selling IP-only to my clients.

Can any fellow dealers with hands-on experience recommend a reliable camera system/vendor that actually works and does what it says?

Thanks in advance,

VideoVIP

Just out of curiosity, what where your biggest problems with Axis? tech/sales support, reliability, ease-of-use, repairs...?

Oh brother...where to start.

I have to admit, their tech support is top-notch. However, more than not, I get a "sorry...we dunno" answer.

Each camera model, regardless of the firmware release, has its own personality...it's like having 4 different girlfriends and you'd better remember their names! This works with that, but that doesn't work with this. IE9, IE8, Chrome, Firefox...may/may not work. Oh, you have to roll-back to firmware x.xx if you want to use a newer browser, etc., etc.

Edge storage? Forget it. Cards last a few months, then become unreadable.

NAS storage? The moon & stars better be aligned if you want your recordings there when you need them.

Motion detection? You'd better be an engineer to set it up so it's useful.

If my clients only needed cameras for live viewing (e.g. surf cams, weather cams, etc.) Axis would be my choice. Recording/storage? Nope.

I'm looking for something with Axis quality, but without all the Axis headaches & glitches.

(e.g. I have one camera in a remote location, four hours away, that will not re-boot remotely. You have to DRIVE THERE and re-boot it at the POE injector). F-that.

This works with that, but that doesn't work with this. IE9, IE8, Chrome, Firefox...may/may not work. Oh, you have to roll-back to firmware x.xx if you want to use a newer browser, etc., etc.

True^^

Motion detection? You'd better be an engineer to set it up so it's useful.

Also true^^

Not a problem with Avigilon though. You can set the motion detection in the client and it pushes it to the camera.

Genetec Security Center? Different story. Unless you want to let the Archiver handle the motion detection you have to configure on the camera

Ask me how I know.... I manage a system with Genetec SC and about 600 Axis Cameras. Mostly P3367 Fixed Domes and Q6032 PTZs

I like ACTi for good bang for the buck in commercial installs because to me, they have comparable service to Axis. What I like is their NVR 3.0 software, free for up to 16 cameras, works very well and the entire interface is web based, meaning it's not just a client.

Hikvision is the up and comer, good products, support (if you get the more expensive Hikviion USA versions). Actually looking to replace Mobotix D15's with Hiks at one project. Just had one of the D15's die yesterday, not like they used to make them. I was going to use Axis but I have some dark spots where having the built in IR will help. They need to start making the higher resolution P33s with IR illuminators as an option.

We still use Axis cameras for where they are needed, works well, but they tend to have buggier firmware than most, dunno why, but I don't like to use Axis cameras the day they come out, I look for people like you to work out the bugs, LOL.

Each camera model, regardless of the firmware release, has its own personality...it's like having 4 different girlfriends and you'd better remember their names! It could be worse. It could be 1 girlfriend with 4 personalities!

Edge storage? Forget it. Cards last a few months, then become unreadable. Actually issue with SD/CF cards in general. They are rated for so many writes and video chews through it quickly.

Oh no! I am in the process of a 25 location build with axis p33xx cameras with edge storage.

Edited by Guest

Oh no! I am in the process of a 25 location build with axis p33xx cameras with edge storage!

You'll need a NAS at minimum. Video server/NVR if you want reliability.

Just buy them at MicroCenter, I believe they provide a lifetime warranty, bring it back, get a new one. Of course you would lose your recordings.

The only camera I have in commercial use with an SD card has been in operation since later in 2012, a Mobotix D14 no problems. Then we have a Mobotix D15 that died yesterday but the microSD card is fine, so we toss the D15 and keep the card

We use 3 PTZ cameras so far.

Axis Q6032 (The RJ45 is difficult if you haven't done one before. Read the instructions carefully!)

Panasonic WV-SW396 (has 12' of cable that you have to find some place to put. Not POE)

Avigilon 1.0W-H3PTZ-DP20 (Awesome camera, but not sure what VMS will connect)

We use 3 PTZ cameras so far.

Axis Q6032 (The RJ45 is difficult if you haven't done one before. Read the instructions carefully!)

Panasonic WV-SW396 (has 12' of cable that you have to find some place to put. Not POE)

Avigilon 1.0W-H3PTZ-DP20 (Awesome camera, but not sure what VMS will connect)

Avigilon cameras are ONVIF compliant and should work with other ONVIF compliant VMS's. That being said, Exacq no longer supports video motion with Avigilon cameras so who knows if other VMS companies will do the same...