robzee67

anyone attemped buying over seas?

IMHO i would buy from the forum.

Its worth the little extra for the support, these guys will help if you havn't bought from them (overseas), god only knows what their support is like if you buy from them.

CCTV products need back up, its that simple,they go wrong.

If you can get the backup its far cheaper in the long run.

My 0.2p

I buy alot of novelty based home wireless cameras and such from Taiwan. It works out great, and yes, awesome prices!

I can offer this to my customers for $49.95

33078_1.jpg

Comes with a 1.2Ghz Camera, Reciever, Cables, Power Supplies!

I wouldn't buy overseas for high end equipment as it usually is not as good as the specs say they are.

Also remember that you will pay duty fees to bring items in from overseas. I think I spent about $8,000 and paid $300 or so in duty fees. I also paid about $180 in shipping as well.

Overall it was a very smooth transaction and I will be purchasing agian very soon. If you get to the ISC conventions, you can usually track down some vendors that are located overseas, plus you get to see the equipment first hand before you buy, rather than picking out of a catalog!

Oh...Support is great actually! I had a camera go bad on a 4 camera wireless system and they sent me another one out asap with no additional fees. Usually they will try and wait for another order unless there is more than one bad item as shipping is spendy but they still take care of me!

It is all about who you know. Also to cover all the shipping and duty fees quantity purchasing is key, especially for high end products.

It is all about who you know. Also to cover all the shipping and duty fees quantity purchasing is key, especially for high end products.

Yes, quantity is they key. I would factor in shipping and duty fees as one whole dollar amount and factor that into your COGS.

We are working with a FL company (together) we will become a Us rep for a company over sea's we have already got prices. You have to have a small amount of product in stock for two reason one it takes a week to get and the other is thats just the rule with our vender. We hope starting around March everything will be worked out and we will be redoing our website to our own products

I am happened to read this. And I am from China, a chinese CCTV manufacturer. Maybe I could give you some ideas about this.

yes, the quality and back up all depends who you know. Generally speaking, most of chinese makers don't have the capability of technical supporting in your local. If you only buy small orders, the best way is to go your local distributor. They could offer a better support for all aspects.

To be honest, Chinese don't produce a very high end items. But you could buy quality products for those used widely in CCTV with good price, such as Cameras, Matrix Switchers etc. Taiwan manufacturers do more professional than makers from China mainland.

Buy from China, here are some tips:

1-Before buying in bulk you need to check sample for quality

2-Don't deal with trading company, usually they don't have enough quality control capability

3-You need to spend more efforts than you buy from other countries, because most of staff in Chinese company they cannot understand well how your guys thinking.

3-For those non-sample possible items, you try to check their prouduct manual. Usually those who can write and design their user's manual professionally, they will be a good supplier for you. Otherwise, you have to be careful.

4-Those small company who only offer CCTV cameras , you need to be carefull. Because there are too much CCTV camera maker, just like chinese DVD player and MP3 player. You may met some guys trading from other small factory with poor quality.

5-Those manufacturers who can produce not only cameras, but also matrix switchers, DVRs or full CCTV surveilance system products, they should be qualified to deal with.

Hope these will be helpfull for you.

Hi Hongdy

I have a question, what kind of piece of the pie does the Chinese government get out of the companies there making CCTV gear? What i mean is do they run the companies, or are the companies run as a private company would be in other countries? And what's up with all the pirate gear, how can you tell which company is legit?

thanks

Rory

I would love to hear Rory's question answered with a modicom of truth. Unless of course you are in fear of retribution which is understandable.

We would not want anything bad happening to you...

note - this is said in a mostly joking manor with undertones of sarcasm.

Hi,Rory, I can see you every corner in this forum.

well, how to identify legit companies from China? It's really a very good question. I saw too much doubts in Alibaba.com forum also.

Don't need to worry about all chinese companies are run by government. Actually 90% thousands of security corporations in China are private companies and most of them are run by chinese. You could find all the foreign world-famous security brands here, too. BEIJING 2008 Olympic use more foreign security products than locals.

we could identify from two directions:

1-Legit for law:

All companies registered legally in China will have a National Organization Code(NOC). That means who holds a valid code number/certificate is a legit company in law.

what's NOC??

http://www.nacao.org.cn/nacao/nacao3-1.htm

http://www.bjtsb.gov.cn/webview.asp?kind=140

(This is a government website supervised by Beijin Bureau Quality and Technical Supervision).

It's a pity that there is no an online verification service up to now.

Shenzhen Bureau Quality and Technica Supervision website:

http://www.szbqts.gov.cn

2-"Legit" if they are qualified business partner for you:

Many people find suppliers who are "Trustpass" membership in Alibaba.com, but they found some companies are still not "legit " enough . That's why I want to say this in another standpoint.

I can say Alibaba "Trustpass" companies are all 100% legit in law, but it doesn't mean they are 100% trust business partners for you. Such risks you will face when you deal with companies from other countries also.

You need to steer clear of those you don't like to deal with, with your own experiences, risks and understandings. The above tips posting is for this.

Hi, Securitymaster, I know you mean who.but we didn't do that.

We started business as their distributor in very early, we got their market grew up in China and then they entered here by themself.

Hi,Rory, I can see you every corner in this forum.

well, how to identify legit companies from China? It's really a very good question. I saw too much doubts in Alibaba.com forum also.

Don't need to worry about all chinese companies are run by government. Actually 90% thousands of security corporations in China are private companies and most of them are run by chinese. You could find all the foreign world-famous security brands here, too. BEIJING 2008 Olympic use more foreign security products than locals.

we could identify from two directions:

1-Legit for law:

All companies registered legally in China will have a National Organization Code(NOC). That means who holds a valid code number/certificate is a legit company in law.

what's NOC??

http://www.nacao.org.cn/nacao/nacao3-1.htm

http://www.bjtsb.gov.cn/webview.asp?kind=140

(This is a government website supervised by Beijin Bureau Quality and Technical Supervision).

It's a pity that there is no an online verification service up to now.

Shenzhen Bureau Quality and Technica Supervision website:

http://www.szbqts.gov.cn

2-"Legit" if they are qualified business partner for you:

Many people find suppliers who are "Trustpass" membership in Alibaba.com, but they found some companies are still not "legit " enough . That's why I want to say this in another standpoint.

I can say Alibaba "Trustpass" companies are all 100% legit in law, but it doesn't mean they are 100% trust business partners for you. Such risks you will face when you deal with companies from other countries also.

You need to steer clear of those you don't like to deal with, with your own experiences, risks and understandings. The above tips posting is for this.

It seems Trustpass becomes the major income for alibaba.com. They called me very often to have trustpass. of course, as a private company, it is free to have any kind of activity for income. BUT how the private website gaurantee trustable companies. When something bad happens and they can pay for it, they can get paid for trustpass service.

i was woundering if anyone tried to buy directly from a manufacturer in asia,china etc....there prices are ridiculusly cheap and seems to be good product if you select the right company...

http://www.security.globalsources.com/am?page=articlehome_cdev

Must be alot of headaches because everyone would be doing it...anyone tried???

i am in england and also thought of buying direct. what a big mistake. all the companys on security global. say they manufacture. BULLS##T.

before i bought from china i whent to see the manufactura in china. very helpfull. picked me up from airport after long flight took me to a nice hotel. next morning the ceo picked me up from the hotel to take me to see his manufacturing plant. 40 mins into the drive he does a u-turn drives for 5 mins and u-turns again back the way we came. i said are you lost he said he thought it was up this street...........your the ceo of a big manufactura in china and you cant find your own factory. let say i did not part with any money. if he cant find his factory how is he going to look after your orders.

other stories of people buying from china are 100 dome cameras $900 shiping cost $1800 you dont find out about shipping cost till you go to pic them up.

but i do bring in all my cameras now 560tv line 5 year warranty and in the last 12 months i have had to send only 3 back. i used to buy this type of camera from a supplier in the uk for £310 till i found a packing slip in the box. i contacted the company and the same camera to my door £89. so yes to bring them in yourself is very cost effective.