I am installing a cctv system in an unheated building in the northeast. It can get very cold! It is a stand alone dvr system with a monitor. The building is not heated, so whatever the temp is outside, that's probably what it is inside. Are there any dvr's that will withstand cold temps? If not, what other options do I have? Thanks.

If the building has a small office inside, you could try a small space heater with a thermostat to keep it up to a manageable temprature. Maybe keeping it inside a lock box will hold in the heat it normally generates enough to keep it within tolerances. Or, you also might try taking the heater assemblies that comes in some camera housings and mounting that inside a lock box. Just some thoughts, hope they help

I would get a thermometer out there and find out the true temp, then call the DVR manufacturer and find out its limits! If something goes bad, you have a manufacturer warranty issue.

How cold is cold?

It really depends on the construction of the system.

I have seen a PC motherboard where the CPU was cooled with liquid nitrogen and it ran fine. Of course this was just on top of the CPU.

It would be good if various people would chime in and let us know what their experience has been in very cold situations.

build a lock box inside a insulated box and then try using that "pipe freeze tape" they use up there to keep the lockbox/DVR warm? most tape comes with thermostats. and, if you build the monitor into the insulated box you most likely can capture that heat also.

We have an outside building that we keep some storage in and we keep a pc terminal in there hooked to the network. It can go anywhere from 25 degrees to 95 degrees and it has never affected the PC. What are the lowest and highest temps that you think the area will reach.

Lowest temp outside would be in the single digits, which means it could get that cold inside. HIghest temp would be around 100 in the summer.

The 100 degree temp I would not worry about. But the single digit could be a problem . Is there a room where you could put the unit and also put a thermostat activated electric heater. they are very cheap and work very well in restrooms in warehouses and such to keep pipes from freezing . Also in an earlier post someone mentioned just building or buying a cabinet for the unit , the pc itself wil generate more heat than you think. If it is a fairly close quarters cabinet it will heat itself. Of course then you need to watch in the summertime for proper ventilation as the case will overheat. That can be solved by installing some small fans in the side of the case . I hope this helps .

What about the safety issues of an electric heater, along with the cost of heating? I would assume that the heater would be running all winter, as the temps are usually in the 20's and 30's a lot. At what temp would you set the heater to go on? Freezing?

tonight it is around 15 with a nasty windchill. Since the windchill can't get inside, it's probably 15 inside the building. That's pretty cold!!!

The major issues with Cold and PC's is potential fatuige on some parts and frost. Keep it in a zero moisture area if possible.

I would be more concerned with frost and moisture too. I think if the PC/DVR is in a small office in a dry space it should be fine. Especially if it never powers down. Put a UPS next to it. That should keep the Temp up.

I like the idea of building a box and having the DVR unit heat itself.. then having another ventalated box for the summer to keep it cooler.. I'd still worry about condensation though, which then you might need an actual heater w/ a fan and such built in a box..

but on another note, I live in the northeast as well.. today the high was 20, low was 0.. but that's pretty warm compaired to last year.. last year we averaged -20 to -30 every morning, getting a high of -5 to 0 every day

This is what we use for our portable demo cases. We fit the PC DVR, 4 Cams, LCD monitor, and all the cables inside. You could probably use the case to keep the DVR/Monitor in. They get pretty warm inside with everything on. You could probably custom make a Port hole for an exhaust to keep moisture down. I dont know....Just thinking out loud.

33467_1.png