rnack1

NETWORK VIDEO SERVER-HOW TO

Think I found the right forum to ask this question. I've read alot thru all posts and forums and haven't found anything on this. My plan is that I would like to set up a total of six cctv cameras, 4 outside and 2 inside) and still be able to expand later on to a total of 8. Set up is in my home in Florida, recently purchased. Since I can't be there, I would like to mainly monitor the perimeter for now from my location in NY. Just something to look at and see what's going on in the neighborhood in the new development. Verizon already set me up with Fiber Optics and I have internet service there with a wirelss Router/modem. I need to plan this out but have run into a wall for a starting point regarding purchasing a suitable standalone network video server. No PC will be there. I've read and searched on single, dual, and 4 channel servers, but as far as I can see they only handle the inputs from cameras depending on the number of channels they are advertised as. Once you get into the 4 channels they get rather expensive. Is there another way of viewing over the internet, 6 or more cameras on a dual channel server? I don't need to look at all camera views at one time, so switching from one to another is acceptable. Is there another unit that can be connected to this that will allow that and be able to switch views over the internet. If this is not possible than can you piggy back these servers later and I can just add on the extra cameras when there are more funds? Would hate to buy a dual channel server that I have no use for later on.

Any help in starting would be greatly appreciated.

You could run the camera's into a cheap multiplexor, this would give you video out on a 4/6/8 way split, then feed it into the server and watch them all at once.

You could just use single channel IP video servers with standard cameras, then add more as you need them. The software normally comes with the Video Servers. They generally also come in 1, 2, and 4 way versions - check Acti & Axis.

ACTi SED-2300Q Quad Input video server is quite affordable, what you need is just 2 units of it..

Another suggestion, since you do not really need simulteneous viewing of all cameras, why not consider getting an IP speed dome camera with full pan/tilt/zoom functions remotely controllable and with multiple preset positions, eg. ACTi-Cam6200 or Cam-6230. 1 such IP speed dome can easily replace a few fixed view cameras.

Check out http://www.acti.com

Glad its Sat going into Sunday. Gives me some time to look over the suggestions and do a little more research. Guess it'll be a late night tonight. Plenty of coffee on hand......It's a start for what options I have available at least. I'll be back.........and thanks.

Ray

Just so you all know, I just found this out last week, the SED-2300Q cannot stream more than (1) concurrent stream. That means, it can only show channel 1 or channel 2 or channel 3 or channel 4 or quad view. It does not have the capability to request separate streams. Don't know if that is usefull info or not to share, but for us, it was a deal breaker...

Don't fret though, I hear they are working on a quad port that will support concurrent streaming.

1 such IP speed dome can easily replace a few fixed view cameras.

Only if you have someone to run it 24/7, otherwise you only record wherever you last fixed the dome or one of it's presets. Often thats not near what multiple fixed cams provide. Don't get me wrong though, those things are hell of cool.

Can't you just use multiple IP cams and plug them into a hub?

Yes if the camera has a webserver you can plug em into a switch and grab the video, the problem is you might want the video recorded. Also multiple cameras will need multiple IPs or some serious routing configuration.