fas

battery backup ups

Do most of you provide a ups to your clients? I would like to provide a ups, and there are so many of them out there ranging in price from $20 to hundreds. For a dvr, what specs should I be looking for for a basic ups?

DVR......AND camera power supply........AND monitor. all you need to do is figure out the total watts used and then you buy a UPS/APC that will sustain your watt needs for the time requirement you need. ie. I have a PC based system that uses 381 watts and the APC I have can sustain it for just over 1hour.

site to determine watts available.....

http://homerepair.about.com/od/electrical/ht/determinepower.htm

apc site that helps you figure out which one to buy

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm?lid=Go%20to%20the%20UPS%20Selector

I looked up the cameras, cvc-627, they are 150ma with led off and 330 ma with led on. How does this translate into watts? Thanks.

The nuvico dvr does not list watts. It is a nvjv-4000. Is there an estimate for this unit?

how many cam's? the APC 1000 series can do a 16 cam, power supply, pc based dvr/monitor with 15 min to spare..........1500 will get you more time.

the smaller units are for basic power missing and sgut down services. siustainewd services require more.......................and I forgot to add in the dsl modem & router.........it all adds up.

my apc's have been good. belkin also.....and I do use the smaller ones for remoting the power on systems with multiple buildings.

like I stated, get a 1000kva and be happy. in this case, bigger is better.

yeah ive had my Triplite 500ma Voltage Regulator since 1996 ... still works and never had a hardware problem while everything was conected to it .. everyone else is always loosing their equipment here from brownouts .. etc

I dont even use a UPS for my home set up ... wont help me with the power problems we have here .. but for the clients just get the all in one UPS Voltage regulator one time.

Yeah, that one has no Voltage Regulation or Line Conditioning, just simple surge protection which is useless.

Thanks, but the price is a little more than I want to spend. Anything under $50 that will get it done?

the other one you listed before it, just no Voltage Regulation for brownouts, spikes, etc. Means you stand a bigger chance of loosing the hard drive, but if you have decent power in your area and can get a hold of HDDs easy enough, then no worries .. here its a different ball game all together ...

If I go with the more expensive one, about how long will I have on battery backup with 4 cameras and a dvr? ballpark.

Take a look at the Ultra ULT31502 in the 1000VA model. You just can't beat this for 70 bucks! I have bought many of these from TigerDirect, and never had any problems. Just be sure to charge it for a day or so before you plug your devices in and count on it. Looks like you only want to spend $50 or less, but just like going out automobile shopping, you end up spending more than you planned, but you know because you shopped, you got a good deal.

I know what you mean. I will take a look. But still, if there are options under $50, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

If you have 4 cameras, and you have a ups with 4 ups outlets, can you double up two cameras in one outlet? They are only 12 volts.

you can but you shouldnt ... probably laws against that in the US (?) and if you do make sure the plug is enough amps to push the 2 cameras, eg. 1A.

Just to test my UPS systems sometimes, I do just that. I unplug the unit from the wall and see how much time I get. Never had a problem doing that. One time, with just my home DVR and 4 cameras , I got 44 minutes of runtime with the UPS I mentioned. I also once tried it with my home 27 inch TV on the line also. With TV,DVR,4 cams, I got 23 minutes of runtime on the UPS. When you state that you plug the cameras directly into the UPS, you should be cautious of that, as you should really have some sort of circuit protection inline ,( i.e. fuse for each camera.) along with a decent power supply in place. Look on many manufacturers sites for these fused power supplies and control panels.

Are you saying that the 12 volt power supplies that come with some of the cameras are not satisfactory? I'm confused. It they weren't ok, why do they sell them like that? I am trying to do everything correctly, so if the best way to power them is with a power supply unit, then I will do that.

I do not work for "Consumer Reports" or any manufacturer of power supplies, so I am not about to tell you that a certain power supply is safer than another one. Most of these power supplies that come with the lower end 12VDC cameras are very basic and simple. You have to be the judge of what effect , if any, would be if there would be a short in the wiring, or at the camera. I have worked in the Industrial Electrical field since the late 70's, so I see what large industry uses in terms of power supplies, power transmission, Ethernet cabling, etc. I see and use 12VDC all the time, along with many other voltages for control applications. In each case, I don't believe I have ever used or seen a power supply that wasn't fused, either on the control board, or inline somewhere. Please check with someone local who works in either commercial or industrial electricity, as a residential electrician might not be as familiar with circuit protection other than "home style" circuit breakers. Another good resource I have found, is a local Bussman Fuse representative, who will gladly tell you of upcoming lectures on the importance of fuses in all applications. Good luck!!

I measure the voltage using a multi-meter and see if the voltage is correct and make sure it is not fluctuating.

Some of the transformers you get may not be regulated which will allow wide ranges of voltage which is not good.